Scrape a custom folder
I spent quite a while browsing around the forum looking for an answer that I figured would have been asked. If it has, I'm just not wording it correctly in my searches. My apologies if I am missing something that's very simple or has already been covered in detail. I have not been using XBMC for more than a few weeks.

I've installed Aeon Nox on Frodo in OSX 10.8

I created a custom section and everything went fine in terms of naming and adding. I have a "Movies" folder that is the default for the MOVIES section of Aeon Nox. Everything works and scrapes just fine under that default section. I have a different folder that is labeled as "Holiday". That folder does not reside inside the default "Movies" folder. I did this in advance knowing that I would be creating a custom HOLIDAY section. I did not want those specials and movies added to the default MOVIES section of XBMC. The Holiday folder has four different subfolders. I gave each of those folders a section under one of the custom headers, which I have name HOLIDAY.

In the simplest terms... Is it possible to tell XBMC to scape those folders with the TMDB scraper?

As of now it just treats them like they are all just videos. When making the custom section I did not see any place to add them as "Movies", only videos.

Thanks
These holiday movies - are they actual movies that exist on the tmdb - if not and I show you how to add them you WILL mess up your movie database.
You can create custom nfo's for them and create custom playlists to separate the movies from the holiday (private) movies but initially need to know what type of 'movies' you are trying to add in the holiday section - (home videos?)
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!
If holiday movies are like home movies, than this video may help you.

Detailed instructions are here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1402884
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
(2013-05-02, 13:17)leepenny Wrote: These holiday movies - are they actual movies that exist on the tmdb - if not and I show you how to add them you WILL mess up your movie database.
You can create custom nfo's for them and create custom playlists to separate the movies from the holiday (private) movies but initially need to know what type of 'movies' you are trying to add in the holiday section - (home videos?)

Thanks for the replies.

Every special and movie that I have in these folders exists on tmdb. They are all commercially released holiday movies and tv specials. Things like Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown...etc. I just did not want them mixed in with regular movies and figured it would be easy to do. I thought I could just make a custom section for them and have them scrape from TMDB. It seems that I am going about it the wrong way though.

@CaptainKen
They are all commercial releases unfortunately. I appreciate the information though.
(2013-05-02, 17:37)CaptainKen Wrote: If holiday movies are like home movies, than this video may help you.

Detailed instructions are here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1402884

Even though I was not looking for ways to add backgrounds and cover art to Home Movies, it looks like your reply could work with commercial stuff as well. You might be talking along the same lines as what @leepenny suggested. I'm just really surprised that a feature does not exist to allow me to scrape these custom folders. All the info is already out there on TMDB, I just need to scrape it.
Hey good news, as I have my commercially released Christmas Movies setup completely separate from other movies! Mine is called "Christmas Movies" and yours is called "Holiday".

However, I am confused on this that you wrote:
Quote:The Holiday folder has four different subfolders. I gave each of those folders a section under one of the custom headers, which I have name HOLIDAY.

Please give some type of visual example of your folder structure.

It doesn't sound like you added the Source and then set the content type to Movies? Once it is set to Movies, then XBMC will scrape it as long as the "movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" and "scan recursively" are enabled..

And yes, if you skip my "prepare movie folders" section within the detailed instructions, that is exactly how I setup them up.

The "regular movies smart playlist" example I provided will then keep the Christmas movies out of the regular ones. This playlist will be the new "video playlist" source for the standard Movie main menu. I've done this with Anime movies as well. So I have "Movies", "Home Movies" and Anime" each as a separate main menu item with neither intermingling with the other.
@CaptainKen

Here is the folder structure.

In the main menu of XBMC, when I select MOVIES it directly reads from the "Movies" folder of Movie HD 1. Everything scrapes as it should

I then created a custom section called HOLIDAY with four sub-menus in the main menu, this section was originally called CUSTOM1 on the Aeon Nox menu.

Here is what it looks like when I click on XMAS MOVIES. This sub-menu is reading directly from the Holiday/Christmas Movies folder. I cannot get it to scrape or even find an option for it to do so.

I must be doing something wrong. I greatly appreciate the help!
I'm not sure where I add "source" in a custom folder. When I click on for example "XMAS SPECIALS" while using the Edit Main Menu function... It only gives me 5 Choices.
1. Disable
2. Choose Type
3. Choose label
4. Choose background
5. Reset Item

I figured it would let me choose "Movies" when I click choose type, but that's not an option. The closest thing I saw was "Videos".
I know I'm doing something wrong here.
Here's how I would do it...

1. Add each of the 4 subfolders as sources in XBMC, set to Movies. (...and scan them into your library)
2. Create playlists to select movies in each of the subfolders based on their path.
3. Point your submenu items to these playlists.
4. Create a playlist that combines your 4 existing playlists.
5. Edit your Holiday main menu item and point it to the combined playlist.
6. Modify your main Movies menu to remove the holiday movies based on the paths of the 4 subfolders.

I did this using custom video nodes, but using playlists as I described is probably easier.
To add Sources:
Videos -> Files - > Add Videos...

To change content type of existing sources
1) Videos -> Files - >
2) Right click on the existing source
3) choose "Change Content"

In the Content dialog window:
1) Enable "movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" (assuming that they are)
2) Enable "scan recursively" (independent of what you chose in step 1)
3) Make sure "The Movie Database" settings are what you want by click on Settings
4) Click OK and answer Yes when prompted to update or scan (can't remember exactly what prompt says)

Then follow steps provided by bryanbrazil and I.
@bryanbrazil @CaptainKen

You are guys are awesome! I am still working on it at the moment, but I can tell this is going to work exactly as I wanted. I will need to figure out how to combine four playlists into one playlist for the main HOLIDAY section, but all else is good. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out. If I have any problems I will definitely post another reply. Your detailed instructions were vastly helpful in figuring all of this out.
Each playlist simply represents one of your four folders. So the main Holiday section is simply a playlist that consists of the main Holiday folder. So simply put your video playlists could be called:

Holiday
Christmas Movies
Christmas Specials
Halloween
Other Movies
Thank you, CaptainKen. Haha, I keep making things harder on myself! Again, I really appreciate all the help. This made a huge difference and ended a few days of stressful research.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scrape a custom folder0