Problems with new Frodo instal on 3TB drive
Hi all I was hoping to get some help; I am trying to upgrade my media player with Frodo using Linux on a new 3TB hard drive but have hit a few issues.

The first is that for some reason when trying to play files the system isn't able to do so and my films/TV shows, start to stick and move in a stop motion manner. Then kick in and play for a few seconds, then back to the stuttering.

The second issue is that Frodo doesn't want to pick up my optical source (Panasonic 5.1 Surround sound amp), so I have no audio on play back of my files.

I know that my setup for audio and files are ok, as I'm still using an older version of XBMC on a 1TB drive which all files play back with no issues. However when I install Frodo on my new Seagate 3TB Barracuda (SATA-III - 7200RPM 64MB Cache) Hard Drive I start to get my play back problems an loss of audio device.

My current hardware setup is as follows, an as mentioned tried and tested and working well when I use my old 1TB drive with original version of XBMC which was installed around May/June 2010 (version can be checked if needed).

Asus AT5IONT-I Atom D525 Dual-Core Processor NM10 Chipset USB3 DVI HDMI Out Mini-ITX Motherboard
Crucial 2GB DDR3 1066MHz/PC3-8500 Laptop Memory SO-DIMM CL7 1.5V
Samsung SN-S083 8x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Slimline Optical Drive - OEM Black
Panasonic 5.1 Surround sound amp connected directly to media player via optical out
Samsung 51" Plasma TV connected with HDMI

If anyone can throw any suggestions my way, I would be grateful.
The problem could be in GUID Partition Table (GPT) for large disks (above 2TB).
If You have one big partition 3TB in GPT, you have to modify kernell to do support for GPT (CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION)

Code:
cd /usr/src/linux;make menuconfig
mount /boot

Edit to:

-*- Enable the block layer --->
--- Enable the block layer
-*- Block layer SG support v4
-*- Block layer SG support v4 helper lib
[ ] Block layer data integrity support
Partition Types --->
[*] Advanced partition selection
[ ] Acorn partition support
[ ] Alpha OSF partition support
[ ] Amiga partition table support
[ ] Atari partition table support
[*] Macintosh partition map support
[*] PC BIOS (MSDOS partition tables) support
[*] BSD disklabel (FreeBSD partition tables) support
[*] Minix subpartition support
[*] Solaris (x86) partition table support
[*] Unixware slices support
[*] Windows Logical Disk Manager (Dynamic Disk) support
[ ] Windows LDM extra logging
[ ] SGI partition support
[ ] Ultrix partition table support
[ ] Sun partition tables support
[*] Karma Partition support
[*] EFI GUID Partition support
[*] SYSV68 partition table support
IO Schedulers --->

exit saving the new configuration

Code:
make && make modules_install
cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-3.4.9-gentoo
reboot

upon rebooting

Code:
os-prober
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Regards.
Both your issues sound connected to improperly configured audio settings.
Audio configuration has changed considerably between XBMC 11 and 12 so settings that might have 'worked' for you in 11 are now not working anymore.
XBMC is now able to actually do passthrough and if you select that it will attempt to do it, where it would previously just ignore the setting.
When it fails you get symptoms similar to the ones you are seeing.

Can you screenshot your audio settings and upload a debug log (wiki) showing you starting xbmc with debugging turned on ?

Next time when you post an issue please *READ THIS 1st BEFORE POSTING* FAQs, HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner which is stickied in this forum.
Thanks esylwek I will keep this one to hand, as I will need a mate to give me a hand with this as its way above my IT skill set. I have for now done the bug report, so hopefully will get an answer of what is going on.

Its just a shame that I cant use my 3TB drive for the moment, more so I just filled my old 1TB drive last night lol

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with new Frodo instal on 3TB drive0