• 93(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
Yes.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
edited
- sorry - wrong Place
Maybe it is better to open a own topic. This thread has an entire different topic.
Thanks to wsnipex for updating the PPA with new VAAPI testing builds! Updated mine last night. Will test soon.
(2013-05-26, 00:23)fritsch Wrote: On Baytrail chips I currently suggest using the OpenGL Bob deinterlacer - cause the GPU is maxed out when using any of the VAAPI methods. I hope we can optimize this in the future when using the new EGL surface sharing API which was introduced in libva 0.3.6.

Hi Fritsch,
was playing around a bit with my J1900 Baytrail system yesterday evning, and setting deinterlacer to VAAPI-BOB and VAAPI-MADI did seems to play rather fine on 1080 TV signal............I dont get any "running" drobs, but some skips! I think I get most skips by the VAAPI-BOB?

In all it seems to play nice, so question is what is behind skips and drobs? And what is best o avoid?

Lower resolutions seems to play nice with the above deinterlacers!

Is there any progress on the "new EGL surface sharing API"?
Drop: happens in decoder, fully decoded frames are thrown away (when this happens, we have bigger problems concerning speed)
Skip: Render, queue has grown too large and we are massively too late (quite eye friendly)

Make sure your upscaling algorithm is set to Bilinear, then the J1900 should be able to cope with 1080i50 and 576i50 with VAAPI-BOB (use wsnipex vaapi ppa).

VAAPI-MADI: Check moving text, you will see the issue or the famous burosch sample.

No progress in EGL surface sharing API. You can still jump into this boat and do the first realization. Work has started again, so freetime project kodi, is freetime project again.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
ok.........futher analysis:

1080i TV signal (DVB-c) and VAAPI-BOB at around 9 megabit = no "running" drobs nor skips. If the bitrate get higher at around 13 megabit, I start to get running skips but still no drobs. It must be rather eye friendly as I at least dont see any issues from the skips.

VAAPI-MADI: saw some strange blinking, like a strobe flashing effect or something on a mpeg2 720x576 interlaced signal. So gonna stick to VAAPI-Bob.

But how good is VAAPI-Bob compared to just "Bob"?

I seem to think it is a bit better, but I am diffently not having "eagle eyes" so.............!
Let your eyes decide - you should be able to play 13 Mbit streams with "just Bob".

An yeah - as said: VAAPI-MADI is not yet usable on BYT, IVB, SNB.
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/...c28fd38366

Kernel 3.18.4 should have the needed fixes in 3.18.x mainline kernel!
I tested VAAPI MCDI with Spears & Munsil benchmark video, and quality seems much better than yadif. Smile

The only problem I saw is that the driver doesn't implement film mode detection.
Hi,

I have a D54250WYKH1 (i5-4250 HD5000 gfx) and am playing around with my first Kodi install.

While experimenting with watching live or recorded Windows Media Center content (SD/720p/1080i MPEG2) via ServerWMC; I noticed that sometimes playback will stutter badly to the point of being unwatchable. It's like it's dropping frames and outputting black frames instead. Audio is fine. I haven't found any commonality to what triggers it.

I went to debug it last night and was able to play 2hrs of a recording WMC show and had no stuttering at any point.

I've skimmed some of this thread and see that I should try different de-interlacing options. Is that true even for the more powerful i5/HD5000? I haven't changed any of the settings from default. I'm also aware of the GPU hang fixes but isn't that for a total lock up? Or does it also apply to the random stuttering that I'm seeing. Would any of the patches slated for 3.18.4 apply to this?

Kernel: 3.17.6-1-ARCH (need to reboot to upgrade to 3.18.2)
PKGS:
kodi 14.0-1
libva 1.5.0-1
libva-intel-driver 1.5.0-1
libva-mesa-driver 10.4.2-1
From what you say: LiveTV stutters, recording works - I would change the backend.
(2015-01-20, 19:46)fritsch Wrote: From what you say: LiveTV stutters, recording works - I would change the backend.

Hmm, actually I'm 95% sure it also stuttered with a recording but that doesn't preclude a network issue of some sort. In any event, more information needs to be collected. Seems Haswell + vaapi version that I'm running should be fine.
I know this isn't directly on topic, but ive read in this thread before that sometimes either tuners/backends can be at fault for some issues. So... What kinda Pci or usb tuners cards ppl using in (for UK freeview dvb t2) in this thread? Preferably a twin tuner.... Thanks.
I've run both a PCTV 290e USB DVB-T2 tuner (very well supported) and an August T210 (wasn't initially well supported but there is T2 driver support in the Media_Build tree now) USB T2 tuner. I've not used PCI-E variants, so can't comment on them (and I'm not aware of dual USB tuner devices)

There are some VERY cheap T2 USB tuners around - but they currently don't have Linux support, and even their Windows drivers are flaky (and not fully BDA compliant so they don't work in WMC)
  • 93(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416