Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
(2015-04-26, 21:17)fritsch Wrote: No. This thread is about my howto I gave on the very first thread, which is about running standalone kodi. I basically don't care about DRM broken by design content, which netflix is.

Vaapi 1.5.0 has a bug when stopping playback which was fixed in 1.5.1.

So, just so we are clear are you opposed running Kodi ontop of a fully configured desktop instead of as a session, or are you just angry that I had the audacity to mention Netflix? :p

I don't like DRM either, but you consume media in the market that exists, not in the one that you wish existed, especially when you share a house with others, you have to be open to their desires too, you can't dictate how the household watches content.

To me the whole reason of having a HTPC instead of one of those stupid little proprietary embedded entertainment boxes is that the PC base offers the flexibility to do EVERYTHING in one box rather than a closed down embedded consumer product that wants you to do it their way and their way only.

Now, I may have made the wrong choice with Unity, but it is the first one I tried that actually worked. Lxde had some compatibility problems. Haven't tried Xfce yet. I use Cinnamon on my desktop, but I'm not convinced it would be appropriate for this task.

Do you have any thoughts on what a good desktop to run Kodi on top of might be, or are you only willing to discuss running it as a session?
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD

Messages In This Thread
EDID / HDMI Handshake workaround - by Ney - 2014-10-29, 13:58
Thank you! - by Sta11ion - 2015-01-02, 01:51
RE: VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04 - by mattlach - 2015-04-26, 21:30
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416