Win 4k trailer stutters
Hello

i tried to play a 4k trailer (trailer). I use a high powered htpc but the trailer
stutters during playback. The info says cpu average of 20%.
First i tried over a gigabit network and at second from a local ssd drive.
Both times the trailer stutters.
Maybe someone can test the trailer also. Is something wrong with my machine or is XBMC the issue?
You'll have to let us know where you got it won't you...

Oops I see you posted a link, I'll try it!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Turn off hardware decoding. Most hardware video decoders aren't working with 4k, I bet.
OK I downloaded that. I have a HP Envy 15 laptop with a Core i7 CPU, 8 G of RAM and an AMD video card, playing to the nice built in 1080p screen.

I had the team-xbmc 13 alpha version of XBMC installed and it too stuttered, dropping frames all over the place.

mplayer plays it smoothly, somewhat to my surprise.

Just installed the xvba version of XBMC and it does no better. log is at http://pastebin.com/EUrznGkB

(2013-05-26, 04:06)Ned Scott Wrote: Turn off hardware decoding. Most hardware video decoders aren't working with 4k, I bet.
Yes I have tried that too! Funny how mplayer seems to work fine. It is using Xv as output method, and the verbose output tells me the maximum output with Xv is 4096x4096.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you for testing. I tried software decoding too but no luck. So i assume XBMC isn't able to play 4k at the moment.
I downloaded some more 4k trailers but all stutters.

Any chance of supporting this kind of codec in the future XBMC releases?
It is most likely not XBMC's fault.
XBMC is fully able to play 4k. People have already done it. It just needs either a fast enough CPU or a supporting hardware video decoder.
Hello Ned

I have a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3,3GHz and a AMD 6570 graphic card. During playback the info says around 20% cpu usage. I switched off hardware acceleration and tried render set to software too.
The cpu usage stays at 20% but video stutters.

Is my cpu not fast enough ? Which kind of hardware do i need?

Thank you
This 4K trailer plays fine on the Raspberry Pi - no stuttering.

Only kidding - it won't even start to play! Smile
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4k trailer stutters0