A serious examination of 1080p hi10p hardware requirements
I have an A8-3870K at 3.0ghz, with single core 10bit decoding this was enough for most 10bit content, however a few rare scenes caused issues, mostly those that featured a lot of CG static/grain or other extremely noisy video.

With the multicore nightlies, it's more than enough to handle everything thrown at it. So I'd rather confidently say that an AMD with dual 3.0ghz will be more than enough.

My roommate has asked me to order parts to build her one, her old WDTV box hit the wall with header compression in MKVs and 10bit. I ordered an A6-5400K, dual 3.6ghz processor and it should have no problem doing 10bit.

My greater concern is h.265 and VP9, which will likely be CPU only for a while before any kind of hardware solution comes around. HOPEFULLY the A6-5400K will be able to decode it but at least it won't be more than a CPU upgrade from working. I'm pretty confident that the A8-3870K will be fine for h.265 and VP9 though. ...At least for 1080p, 4K will be another animal.

I think 10bit isn't all you should focus on. Build a machine that's 'just enough' for 10bit and you'll be in the same place again in 12-24 months dealing with h.265 and/or VP9. Might as well build or at least be prepared for those. I figure that if you're gonna build a box, spend a bit more and build one to last 5-8 years.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A serious examination of 1080p hi10p hardware requirements - by DJ_Izumi - 2013-05-27, 07:32
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A serious examination of 1080p hi10p hardware requirements0