Advice n which video settings to use in XBMC with Samsung plasma TV
Hi guys

My old TV was a 42" plasma and only 720p/1080i, and as most of the stuff I downloaded was 720 anyway I left XBMCbuntu set to 720p.

I recently connected it up to a Samsung plasma (a fairly old one, it was in the place I was staying in for a month or so) which is 1080p and since doing so I find that a lot of the video playback does that horrible motion smoothing thing that makes it look like a bad US TV drama! I now have a 64" Samsung and I'm noticing that XBMC is still doing the same on video, both TV shows and movies.

What are the best video playback settings in XBMC? I mainly watch downloaded US TV shows and movies, plus a few downloaded UK shows.

These are the settings I can find to change, but I've no idea what they all do or which to change and which to leave. Any ideas?

I'm running XBMCBuntu on an Acer Revo R3700 - I believe this should be fine for playing back 1080p smoothly? The TV is a 2013 Samsung F8500, Series 8 plasma.
Do I have any of the above settings wrong? And what frame rate is best to select?

Thanks guys
How is your audio set up ? You can use the prtscr key to make screenshots by the way.
Ah, ok... but I wouldnt know how to get it off the XBMC and onto my Windows laptop! Smile

These are my audio settings;

I don't have a surround system so have the audio set to 2.0. Could the audio settings be causing an issue then?

Thanks!
Enable "Sync playback to display", method video clock(drop/dupe). Leave Audio as is.

The motion smoothing effect you are seeing is commonly called soap opera effect and does come from the TV, not xbmc.
It usually happens when the TVs frame interpolation mode is set too high of not working well in general. Not sure how samsungs calls the feature, its something like "true, smooth, cinema motion".
Ah, yes, thanks. I found it in the TV settings and turned it off. Why the f they think people want to watch TV like that....!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice n which video settings to use in XBMC with Samsung plasma TV0