Streaming MK files
Looking for a definitive answer as to whether or not xbmc can stream mkv files. I can add them to the library and play them just fine from my PC, but they do not show up in the file list when streaming to my xBox. I am running 12.2 on Windows 7. There are lots of threads all over the Internet about this issue on multiple OS platforms streaming to various end points. Trying to determine if anyone knows if it is supposed to work. If so, is it a known bug that is actively being worked on that might be fixed soon? If not, does anyone know of a good alternative just for streaming mkv files? I have tried Tversity and Twonky and neither of those can successfully stream an mkv file to an xBox. They are either choppy, have no audio, won't play at all, etc. This seems to be a very problematic file format from all the chatter out there, but also very popular at the same time. Odd.
Sorry, XBOX ?

XBMC is not officially supported on xboc anymore. There is an seperate forum for people who still create XBMC versions for XBOX here: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/
Kibje, he's using XBMC as a UPnP/DLNA server to stream to what I'm guessing is a Xbox360 and trying to view the mkv files via the Xbox360 DLNA media player.

osuhickeys, can you confirm I've understood right?

In which case simply put, the Xbox360 does not support playback of mkv in it's native form, which is not unusual for DLNA media players built into consumer electronics. As XBMC does not support transcoding at present, the client must support whatever file format natively in order to stream.

Why not connect the PC with XBMC directly to the TV? it will give you a much better experience than the Xbox DLNA media player? The media players built into consoles & TV's are crap and will never be able to playback everything.
Yes, you are correct. I am trying to stream an MKV file from XBMC to my Xbox360 DLNA media player. I don't have a spare desktop to dedicate to the TV as a media player presently so I was trying to be creative and stream video content to it. I am also limited on inputs to my stereo receiver/TV. I can re-encode everything from MKV to M4V with handbrake and it then plays fine from xbmc to xmbox360, but that takes time obviously. It does result in a smaller file also. I would prefer to just stream the MKV file and not have to re-encode.
Try plex or some other dlna server that supports xbox360.

Also I believe you shouldn't need to re-encode, just mux into an mp4 container. Video and audio should just be copied.
Ah right, rereading the first post with UPnP in mind and it suddenly makes makes a lot more sense. Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming MK files0