Xbmc not starting properly.....
XBMC has worked flawlessly for me for about two and a half years now, but seemingly overnight it has started to get slower and slower to start up. Currently it takes around 10-15 mins to start up. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, removing the userdata to give me a fresh install. I hadn't changed anything as far as I know that would cause this malfunction but I can't put it right. I haven't tried an earlier version of XBMC yet, that's next on my to do list. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this issue as I've seen some kind of similar ones posted but not quite like this.

I've checked the small log that I had which doesnt show anything untoward, but as its not starting up I can't get a debug log Confused

I'm currently running XBMC 12.2, with the current Aeon Nox stable on Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated.
did you try to run it with the -p for portable mode just to see if it starts up fast with a fresh userdata (testing like this will avoid touching your real config)

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
(2013-06-05, 22:23)saitoh183 Wrote: did you try to run it with the -p for portable mode just to see if it starts up fast with a fresh userdata (testing like this will avoid touching your real config)

Not yet, I'm assuming that's run from the command line? Not familiar with it but I'm willing to give it a go.
create a new shortcut on your desktop. right-click --- properties and add the -p after the xbmc

(2013-06-05, 22:42)saitoh183 Wrote: create a new shortcut on your desktop. right-click --- properties and add the -p after the xbmc

Awesome, I'll give that a try later tonight. Big Grin

jus incase i wasnt clear. You will see a new folder popup in your XBMC installation directory

Nah, still no joy Confused Frustrating Sad The annoying thing is it won't let me quit with task manager, if I "end process" it takes ages to close. When it does run it works ok, but if you do anything other than watch stuff it crashes.
I've also tried temporarily disabling Virus protection just to make sure it wasn't being blocked in any way. Aside from trying a different build, I'm kinda out of ideas Confused
If your using Windows 7, try restoring your machine to a period when it was working

Start-Accessories-System Tools- System Restore

Choose the day that it was working and restore. You can see what was done on your machine. maybe you will see what was installed on your machine

I had a similar thing happen to me with XBMC 11 except my installation was just a few days old. Turns out it was because my c: drive that XBMC was installed on was developing bad blocks. When you start XBMC is the LED for your drive(s) constantly lit? If it is then its probably a bad block and windows is trying to read it over and over. If the LED isn't on during this time then check task manager to see if XBMC is using any cpu cycles and if it is then something is really screwy. If the cpu load is zero for XBMC then its waiting for something else, what its waiting for is a good question.
If you press start and enter "event viewer" and see if your computer is throwing up any warning about a hard drive or any other warnings that might help fix the issue.

Or you could install a disk diagnostic tool to see if its all right.

ZZ
I've done a drive check and everything seems ok Confused Unfortunately for me, I've only just moved to win7 and hadn't set up the restore etc so no going back Sad All of my media is stored on my server though and I keep my PC light so it might be worth doing a clean install of windows. Bit drastic but I can't figure the problem out. Checked Task Manager and XBMC just sits at around 6,000 for a while then suddenly comes to life. I don't have a problem with any other programs starting, installing etc. It does seem like XBMC is waiting on something.

You guys have provided, some great suggestions. This is becoming a royal PITA Angry
Interesting. Please enable debugging by editing your advancedsettings.xml (wiki) start XBMC and upload the debug log (wiki).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc not starting properly.....0