Windows ☆ Build #5
Thanks for the help! I may be making a journey to Atlanta to a MicroCenter!
(2013-09-29, 20:49)jammyb Wrote: OpenELEC IME/IMO is better straight out of the box. Why do you want the buntu version?

I guess I'll stick with the Windows/XBMC installation. I'm not a big fan of OpenELEC. Seems too buggy. It keeps freezing all the time on me.

I thought I would try out the buntu version, to see if it was any better.....as I could have a web browser and get Netflix. But I can get that through the Windows installation.

Thanks for your help though.
(2013-10-03, 23:40)kpc180 Wrote: Thanks for the help! I may be making a journey to Atlanta to a MicroCenter!

Enjoy it!

i3-4340 / ASRock H87M-ITX looks like a bargain.
(2013-10-04, 23:35)tstorzuk Wrote:
(2013-09-29, 20:49)jammyb Wrote: OpenELEC IME/IMO is better straight out of the box. Why do you want the buntu version?

I guess I'll stick with the Windows/XBMC installation. I'm not a big fan of OpenELEC. Seems too buggy. It keeps freezing all the time on me.

I thought I would try out the buntu version, to see if it was any better.....as I could have a web browser and get Netflix. But I can get that through the Windows installation.

Thanks for your help though.

What version of OE were you trying? I find it works perfect. The only time it plays up is with using add-ons that haven't themselves been updated regularly.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

I've got - maybe a stupid - question. I see that there are 2 x SATA- III ports, so that means that I can add 2 internal hard drives right ?
My goal is to create a HTPC with internal storage, so this would be a good solution for me ?

Greetz Gyz.
Wink 
(2013-10-05, 17:53)Gyzmo Wrote: I've got - maybe a stupid - question. I see that there are 2 x SATA- III ports, so that means that I can add 2 internal hard drives right ?
My goal is to create a HTPC with internal storage, so this would be a good solution for me ?

Greetz Gyz.

"I've got a, maybe stupid, question." Fixed that, and btw it is not. I have no idea, myself. I just took an English class in college, both times that I went and wanted to help. (Graduated the second time around btw.) Big Grin
(2013-10-07, 18:08)Budwyzer Wrote:
(2013-10-05, 17:53)Gyzmo Wrote: I've got - maybe a stupid - question. I see that there are 2 x SATA- III ports, so that means that I can add 2 internal hard drives right ?

Greetz Gyz.

"I've got a, maybe stupid, question." Fixed that, and btw it is not. I have no idea, myself. I just took an English class in college, both times that I went and wanted to help. (Graduated the second time around btw.) Big Grin

Definitely NOT a stupid question. No one is born knowing what "2 x SATA-III" means Smile.

However, which configuration are you asking about? There are few here now. Seeing "2 x SATA-III" in a motherboard specification means you can attach up to 2 SATA devices (hard drive, solid state drive, optical drive). The PC case you use then also has to have room for two devices as well.
Hey there,

i am really looking Forward to buy the HTPC mentioned in the first post.

But: I dont get, if this MoBo really has 4x USB 3.0 ports? Is this really true? In the description i just read about 2 ports.

Thanks for the advice,

Sesc
(2013-08-07, 04:56)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Correct. The ASRock Z77E-ITX has WiFi if you want a ASRock board. $$$ though.

"Also Asrock has a CIR connector where you can hook up an IR receiver which can wake up the machine from S5 (powered off)."

Hey guys still putting together my build! Haha

But I'm still a bit confused on CIR. Say I wanted to use a remote that controlled my TV & XBMC/htpc using the build at the start of this thread only using the Asrock Z77E-ITX. What would be the best way to accomplish this?

Is this what CIR is used for? I would like to not have a dongle dangling from my case so would that mean I would need to get a case that had an IR receiver on the front built in? Or am I way off base?
(2013-10-09, 23:14)kpc180 Wrote:
(2013-08-07, 04:56)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Correct. The ASRock Z77E-ITX has WiFi if you want a ASRock board. $$$ though.

"Also Asrock has a CIR connector where you can hook up an IR receiver which can wake up the machine from S5 (powered off)."

Hey guys still putting together my build! Haha

But I'm still a bit confused on CIR. Say I wanted to use a remote that controlled my TV & XBMC/htpc using the build at the start of this thread only using the Asrock Z77E-ITX. What would be the best way to accomplish this?

Is this what CIR is used for? I would like to not have a dongle dangling from my case so would that mean I would need to get a case that had an IR receiver on the front built in? Or am I way off base?

Yes CIR is for this. You can always drill a small hole into the case and mount the receiver in there. Make sure you have a remote that support multiple devices, such as a Harmony or a remote that has the switch for TV/VCR/DVD/SAT/AUX, otherwise when navigating the TV menus you will be navigating your HTPC as well.
You also need a CIR receiver such as this: http://shop.inteset.com/inteset-cir-rece...therboards
Got it thanks! And if I don't want to drill a hole in my case I can still go the dongle route by buying a windows remote and keeping the dongle that comes with it and then getting a harmony remote or something right? On that topic you guys seem to be incredibly familiar with HTPC's - I've searched amazon lifehacker and all manner of fourms trying to find a good remote that can control xbmc and my tv. Most people agree harmony is the best, but I hear lots of their models have unbearable lag. I have also found their remotes to be ridiculously expensive, and if I ever do get the nerve to buy one I don't want to waste my money on one that will annoy me. What do you suggest?
If you're going the dongle route. There is no need to buy a remote/dongle combo pack and waste $$$.

FLIRC - boom
(2013-10-18, 15:38)Budwyzer Wrote: If you're going the dongle route. There is no need to buy a remote/dongle combo pack and waste $$$.

FLIRC - boom

Nice- I like the technology, but wouldn't getting a remote/dongle combo like this from amazon and just using the dongle be a good bit cheaper? I see a ton of positive reviews on amazon saying this is what tons of people are doing but I can't get a clear picture on what a good remote would be.

UPDATE! Ah-ha! Eskro already has a whole thread devoted to this here it's a bit old but I think it's still about the best remote thread I've seen.
(2013-10-07, 19:45)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2013-10-07, 18:08)Budwyzer Wrote:

Greetz Gyz.

Definitely NOT a stupid question. No one is born knowing what "2 x SATA-III" means Smile.

However, which configuration are you asking about? There are few here now. Seeing "2 x SATA-III" in a motherboard specification means you can attach up to 2 SATA devices (hard drive, solid state drive, optical drive). The PC case you use then also has to have room for two devices as well.

What I would like is the following :
A box that I can put behind my TV, connect in my network ( so that I can download directly onto it ) and stream movies to everything that is connected to my home network. ( streaming with WiFi to portable devices would be a nice bonus iff that is possible ) .

After doing some reading on the forum I came up with the following solutions ( As I'm still an amateur they may be not good solutions ) :
1/ A HTPC ( like the windows build 5 ) with internal storage ( 3 HDD's would be nice, I already have 1 HDD .

2/ An unraid server :
* With the (free) unraid software would give me the opportunity to re-use my old HDD and add new HDD's in the future.

For both solutions I would like to use the software ' XBMC ' as it seems a kick ass mediacenter !
I've just got one question for both solutions, as it will be behind my TV I need it to be silent, which case + fans would U recommend ?
& I also see that the stickes are 3 years old ( unraid ), can u recommend me hardware that is more up to date ? ( I'm a hardware noob ... :p )

Thanks in advance,

Greetz Ruben.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows ☆ Build #50