rearranging my build(s), looking for practical advice
Here is what I am sitting on right now for my desktop:

older thermaltake 850watt ps (pre-80 plus)
asus p8z68pro (emphasis on the z68) atx form factor
16gig of ram
2600k cpu
2x 120gb vertex 4's
7970 radeon

Plus 3 WD red's, soon to be 5 whenever I get off my butt ready to go into a NAS.

I keep toying with the idea of upgrading my main desktop, and just splitting it up into parts for a NAS and HTPC. Take whatever is preferential to each one and build three out of one. Then after a while it seems kinda silly, like I am buying 3 computers that would ultimately become inferior faster.

For my htpc, I am picturing initially just XBMC and eventually branching into a mythtv setup for the backend recording with a cablecard. So I expect compression type tasks, but nothing crazy like gaming. Likely I will be just sticking to linux, unless I get REALLY angry (mostly because of the myth stuff).

The NAS setup, is whatever. When I window shop, I look at stuff like a g34 socketed supermicro board loaded to the teeth with ram. My intuition tells me that hard drives would completely change before I had the money to buy enough hard drives to tax that machine's resources.

I kept holding out for the ivybridge-e stuff for my main box, but... yeah... money pit... what?

Anyone feel like smacking me around and talking some practical sense into me? I'm not really looking for someone to "tell me what I want to hear". I'm not above just selling pieces of my stuff off to a friend at a low cost just to relieve any guilt of a shorter life span of equipment.

Oh, by the way... Not everything I think, ends up getting typed out. If I sound like I am babbling, it just means my thoughts got too far ahead of my typing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
rearranging my build(s), looking for practical advice0