A good NAS please
Hi,

I'm currently using a my book live 3To. I plan to buy a new NAS because I would like more space and to use Raid 1 option. I was thinking of a my book live DUO but I'm not sure that's the best option.

I would use it essentially for XBMC, music and a few backups. I would like to be able to connect it directly using USB and also to have access to it wirelessly. I'm looking for the best value for money since I can't spend to much money in it.

Any recommandation?

Cheers !
low end is Buffalo, mid grade is Synology and high end you can build your own hardware raid with a raid controller or software raid unRaid or FreeNAS without a controller.
יונתן בן-חיים
(2013-06-20, 22:21)nokdim Wrote: low end is Buffalo, mid grade is Synology and high end you can build your own hardware raid with a raid controller or software raid unRaid or FreeNAS without a controller.

Thanks for your reply, I have seen in a few benchmarks that Synologiy have great products... My Book Live Duo is not a good option then?
Yeah the Book Live Duo will work and based on specs looks like it supports RAID so your data will be protected.

I started off with a buffalo and moved to a synology and eventually built my own so I can have more than 2 drives.
I have an unRaid system with 5 disks now 1 being parity and the rest data so I have like 8TB protected by parity.

It really depends on your budget and long term plans for amount of data you plan to store, but since your NAS will only grow over time I would suggest you look at other options so you can have more than 2 disks long term.

One thing I liked about synology and I like about unRaid as well is it has plugins so I can run CouchPotato, SickBeard, SABNzbd and mysql all on the NAS so I dont need an additional standalone server for those applications. I am not sure if the Book Live Duo supports plugins like that or if you even use those applications.
יונתן בן-חיים
(2013-06-20, 22:37)nokdim Wrote: Yeah the Book Live Duo will work and based on specs looks like it supports RAID so your data will be protected.

I started off with a buffalo and moved to a synology and eventually built my own so I can have more than 2 drives.
I have an unRaid system with 5 disks now 1 being parity and the rest data so I have like 8TB protected by parity.

It really depends on your budget and long term plans for amount of data you plan to store, but since your NAS will only grow over time I would suggest you look at other options so you can have more than 2 disks long term.

One thing I liked about synology and I like about unRaid as well is it has plugins so I can run CouchPotato, SickBeard, SABNzbd and mysql all on the NAS so I dont need an additional standalone server for those applications. I am not sure if the Book Live Duo supports plugins like that or if you even use those applications.

Ok thank your ! I will have a look, I want something simple I'm not a network expert.. and not to expensive
(2013-06-20, 22:37)nokdim Wrote: Yeah the Book Live Duo will work and based on specs looks like it supports RAID so your data will be protected.

Depending on your budget you could by a Synology 5 bay system http://www.synology.com/products/perform...us#tabs-10
I think building your own is cheaper.
(2013-06-21, 11:28)schumi2004 Wrote:

Depending on your budget you could by a Synology 5 bay system http://www.synology.com/products/perform...us#tabs-10

5 bays is a lot I was thinking of a 2 bays...
You could also try QNAP. There are a few 2bays NAS. I use the 412 myself and I am very happy with it (previously used Thecus, but I don't recommend it).
ok thank you guys !
(2013-06-21, 13:30)anthony74700 Wrote:
(2013-06-21, 11:28)schumi2004 Wrote:

5 bays is a lot I was thinking of a 2 bays...
I myself have a DS211 but if i could do it over i would buy a more powerful system.
It still functions with SickBeard, CouchPotato, NZBget, Oscam, TVHeadend, comskip, MySQL, Python Subliminal, VPN Server and Transmission but in some situations i need to compromis.

I chose for Synology because of the great support and community and like nokdim said for the available packages.
Not sure if you've bought your NAS yet but I wholely recommend a HP ProLiant N50/N54L. I got it for £185 with £100 cashback making it a serious bargain. I've put Synology DSM 4.2 on it.

Space for 5x 3.5" drives out of the box but if you wanted to go mental you can get an ICY dock allowing for an additional 6x 2.5" in place of 1 of the 3.5 slots. 10x drive slots for £250. Insane bargain.
IcyDock with 6x2,5" will be really expensive when you are looking for space.

Icy Dock 75€
1TB HDD 6x 60€
8 Port Controller + cable 140€

575€ for 6TB
96€/TB raid 5 -> 115€/TB

OR

Icy Dock 75€
2TB HDD 4x 165€
4 Port Controller + cable 70€

805€ for 8 TB
102€/TB raid5 153€/TB

Compared to
8x External 3,5" enclosure eSata 300€
3TB 8x105€

1140€ for 24TB
Raid5 54€/TB, Raid6 63€/TB, RAID 10 95€/TB
I have a synology DS412+ and it has been great so far. I spent the extra few dollars for the '+' because the slower processors they put in the non-plus models cannot seem to get to true Gigabit throughput. Seems kind of strange that a NAS wouldnt be able to do that but so be it.

One thing I like about the Synology is their hybrid raid (SHR they call it) which allows you to mix drive sizes and still get the RAID fault tolerance. Does unRAID or FreeNAS have something similar? I though I remember reading somewhere that they did or maybe they were the ones that came up with it?

Ernie
I have had the Synology unit and the only thing I did not like was that the CPU and RAM got sluggish if you ran any apps on it. If all you want to do is mirror the drive for redundancy, then it works great. A little bit of a learning curve, but not too bad.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A good NAS please0