XBMC Video Server: stream/download your library contents
(2013-07-09, 10:13)ilovecats Wrote: Thanks. Can I assume that if I disable streaming/downloading of the media (does such an option exist?), and use the server solely for browsing info, there will be no such security concerns?

You're correct, if such an option would exist then there would be no security issues since the API credentials are only exposed through the download/streaming links. I'm reluctant to add such a feature though since there are a million alternative library management interfaces out there. The purpose of this one is precisely to allow streaming and downloading, not much else.

(2013-07-09, 10:13)ilovecats Wrote: And when you referred to "XBMC's web server", did you mean the built-in HTTP server of XBMC? Is it required for streaming/downloading via your server?

Indeed that's what I'm referring to, and yes, it is necessary to use it for streaming/downloading. Technically the application could read the media files directly from the harddrive, but that is assuming XBMC is running on localhost, plus you'd have to grant read access for your web server's user to your whole library (which generally isn't a good idea), plus you wouldn't be able to stream RARed content. All in all I don't think such an option will be added either since it's much work for little gain.

On a side note, has anyone been able to install this thing yet? I realize the installation instructions are relatively complicated, that's just the way it is with modern web application (installing web applications correctly is usually not for laymen).

Messages In This Thread
RE: [BETA] XBMC Video Server: stream/download your library contents - by negge - 2013-07-09, 10:30
Reverse Proxy Problem - by tsthomas - 2014-10-23, 19:20
Doctor Who xmas Specials - by ZennMystic - 2015-12-31, 02:39
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Video Server: stream/download your library contents9