Thinking of joining the XBMC family can this replace Playon for me
Ok I have been a playon users since day one, but it resides on my family (kids and wife) PC and this thing has so many items on startup it drives me nuts. Now playon is housed on this machine and my cpu peaks when it is running even if no one is using the PC and causes me to restart it sometime. I am on the fence on just building a Windows 2008 or 2012 server and put playon on it or will XBMC do the same thing and I can place it on a machine in basement. All the shows I watch on Playon are ones I have stored on external and internal hdd and because of formatting playon has to use vlc to provide the content to my xbox 360s (4). I am just looking for information because I can't find a proper comparison of pro vs cons of the two online. Thanks in advanced!
Currently, no. XBMC will not do any transcoding or remuxing-on-the-fly, so using it as a server to your 360s won't help with all file formats. These things are coming to XBMC in the future, though.
Ok gotcha so I guess I will wait for these features in the mean time. Q for your reply
Use servioo for your needs.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking of joining the XBMC family can this replace Playon for me0