What to use for xbmc first time user?
Hey everyone. I stumbled across XBMC a couple months ago, and had a play around with it on my computer. But now I'm really looking at getting a proper setup. I've been looking into the Intel NUC's and Gigabyte BRIX's as my preferred platform to run xbmc. I like their SFF. But I'm unsure what version would best suit my needs, along with OS as well.

I was hoping for some advice from people who have more knowledge then myself, on the hardware and operation to run xbmc.

I'd like to stream 1080P from external harddrive, including some 3d. I'd like it to stream from the next either wired or wireless. Would like usb 3.0 for the added speed. To boot straight into xbmc, would openelec be best? Don't want much or any lag. I'd like to be able to still browse the web, through xbmc preferrable. I'd like to record free to air using a dvb-t stick through xbmc if possible.

I was currently thinking of this setup. Also setting up Adsl2+.

Gigabyte brix GB-XM12-3227
Openelec running off a Sandisk extreme usb 3.0 16gb
Corsair vengence 8Gb 1600mhz DDR3 memory
Edimax EW-7822UAC Wireless AC1200 Dual Band USB 3.0 Adapter if wireless
Netgear D6200 WiFi DSL Modem Router with 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit

Any advice would be great? Thanks in advance.

JWeare
For a first time user, you're wishlist is pretty substantial! You are talking about pushing the limits of what XBMC can do, which is far from a beginner topic. Below are my opinions on the different aspects of your question. My overall advice is to try out everything you want to do on your current PC, so you understand the issues you face before you buy new hardware.

"I'm unsure what version would best suit my needs, along with OS"
Linux is better for media playback and uses less resources. Windows is necessary for some media streaming (DRM), or if you want to play games on the pc. Hardware choice (especially video card) is heavily influenced by what OS you use. Do some research before you buy.

"I'd like to stream 1080P from external harddrive"
I don't like external harddrives. Unless you have some need for taking your media library with you someplace, just use a NAS instead. This is an area of debate - many people love to use their external drives. They are wrong, of course Smile

"I'd like it to stream from the net either wired or wireless"
Wired. Definitely wired. Don't even bother attempting wireless, especially with 3D. Search the forums if you doubt it - but seriously, just run ethernet.

"Would like usb 3.0 for the added speed"
Meh. If you use an external drive, then sure. I personally don't plug anything into my usb ports other than a Flirc and occasionally a NES controller.

"To boot straight into xbmc, would openelec be best?"
Yes.

"I'd like to be able to still browse the web, through xbmc preferrable"
That's not really something XBMC does. You can launch an external browser, but I personally think this is a silly feature and I'm glad the Team hasn't put any effort towards it.

"I'd like to record free to air using a dvb-t stick"
This is a very new (experimental?) feature of XBMC. It actually works best if you have a separate machine to use as a backend, though that is not absolutely necessary. You'll have to leave your machine turned on all the time, so it can record your shows. At least in the US, getting TV listings is a huge nightmare - maybe it's better internationally? You will have to do a lot of reading in the forums on this one - it is not trivial.
PVR works fine on the same machine. Load OpenELEC on it and installing TVHeadend is as easy as a few button presses directly from within XBMC. It's much easier for EU than it is in US, since the DVB standards are so much better supported in the software. TV listing sources are also easier to find in the EU.
USB 3 speeds are really only needed if you want to copy things fast. For video playback you won't max out USB 2 even with raw BR rips. Also, XBMC does not currently support 3D. It's coming, but I have no idea on the ETA.
Come on the USA has the best epg source on the planet - schedules direct. And before someone moans about cost, it's minimal.
Thanks for the replies guys. Have been thinking over my requirements for what I'm looking to do with my home theater setup. At the moment, the unit where my girlfriend and I are living we only have the one TV, so I was deciding whether a HTPC with drives would suit me better. But we'll more then likely have more tv's in the future and probably have xbmc on them as well. So inclined to go with a synology ds213/j for my media server. And the celeron NUC with openelec. With a dedicated 3D bluray player already in the cabinet, I'll be using the player for the majority of my 3d viewing. So the need from my OP isnt required anymore. The web browsing isnt really a concern.

This is what I'm looking to get (In $AUD)

Intel BOXDCCP847DYE NUC Barebone $205.00
Corsair Vengeance CMSX4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 SODIMM x2 $98.00
Intel 525 Series 30GB mSATA OEM $75.00
Austronic Power Cable 2m C5 Connector $6.50

Total: $384.50 plus shipping

Would this be fine for aeon nox and 1080P viewing.

Thanks Jason
I think it would be a great system. If you are sticking with a linux OS you are ok with that SSD but if you are still considering windows you are going to want at least 64 GB. Dont forget about a remote (sorry if I missed it in your post).

+1 for the synologys, they are great NAS's (i have a 412+). There is also free NAS software out there if you feel like building one yourself. Pros/cons to either, I went with the synology because I liked the package they provide...

Ernie
(2013-08-06, 12:46)jweare1987 Wrote: Thanks for the replies guys. Have been thinking over my requirements for what I'm looking to do with my home theater setup. At the moment, the unit where my girlfriend and I are living we only have the one TV, so I was deciding whether a HTPC with drives would suit me better. But we'll more then likely have more tv's in the future and probably have xbmc on them as well. So inclined to go with a synology ds213/j for my media server. And the celeron NUC with openelec. With a dedicated 3D bluray player already in the cabinet, I'll be using the player for the majority of my 3d viewing. So the need from my OP isnt required anymore. The web browsing isnt really a concern.

This is what I'm looking to get (In $AUD)

Intel BOXDCCP847DYE NUC Barebone $205.00
Corsair Vengeance CMSX4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 SODIMM x2 $98.00
Intel 525 Series 30GB mSATA OEM $75.00
Austronic Power Cable 2m C5 Connector $6.50

Total: $384.50 plus shipping

Would this be fine for aeon nox and 1080P viewing.

Thanks Jason

Go for it ...
it will playback fine any 2d content and aeon nox will be fluid... (also due to the addition of msata and not a usb)

a remote is needed (or - and - a logitech wireless keyboard (preferably the k400) with mini unifying receiver)
Highly recommend this build. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148856

Built my own one recently and it is super quiet, capable and up-gradable.
Just wondering how others are controlling their nuc and turning it on? I've got a wireless mouse and keyboard I've used in the past with my laptop. And I've got a samsung galaxy tab 10.1 with yatse installed. Both will be connected to the same network. With wol from the yatse app an option.

Would pulse eights cec adapter be another option? Using my panasonic tv's remote. But could it be possible to use the rikomagic MK702II Mini Wireless 2.4 GHz Keyboard and IR Remote instead. Or something similar.

However I really like the idea of using a tablet to control the nuc.
I really like yatse, but I don't want my cellphone/tablet to be constantly by the TV. Also I change the batteries in my IR remote once in a blue moon, most android machines need to be charged daily or so. I don't like the time it takes to wake the android machine up (click power button, swipe, switch to yatse).

I can see though perhaps building a permanently powered cheap tablet into some sort of console on the coffee table, or in the arm of the sofa....
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What to use for xbmc first time user?0