Put the advancedsettings.xml on a share?
G'day all Tongue

I've been fighting all day with my combo of Synology (hosts the database in MySQL) and my 4 HTPC's, since for some reason I have all kinds of hickups. The Mrs. is complaining that she can't watch movies, and that means no dinner for me as long as this isn't fixed Rolleyes

Been trying to convert the ISAM database to InnoDB (per this here: http://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatre...s-in-sync/), adjusted my.cnf to account for inno, but no: then XBMC refuses to start with some vague error messages that Google even never heard of Huh

Anyway, Google also isn't my friend when it comes to this simple question: is it possible to put the advancedsettings.xml on a share on my Synology, and have all 4 HTPC's check the file on the share on start up to see what they are supposed to find where? Since maintaining the same versions everywhere appears to be cumbersome, and after all, this is the age of automation Rofl

Thank you very much in advance for any reply Nod

Bye,
only if you mount the share on the OS level
You could possibly use links or path substitution in your "system" advancedsettings to change userdata location as "system" advancedsettings is loaded first. Definitely no easy way to do it
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
I find that advancedsettings tend to be quite host specific in my case, but it should not be an issue to hard link em.
Thank you to all of you for so kindly replying, and: you've managed to make me understand none of your replies RoflRofl

I apologize for being stupid Tongue

Quote:only if you mount the share on the OS level

Quote:You could possibly use links or path substitution in your "system" advancedsettings to change userdata location as "system" advancedsettings is loaded first.

To quote my dog (I have a new puppy that is curious about everything he sees Blush): "but what does it mean?" (Rofl)

On second thought, I think I understand what is meant with the hard linking, I might try to do that. Let me google how to hardlink a file, and I will report back here if it works.

Thank you again Angel
I had to report back my findings: it works.

Big Grin

However, not with using the suggested hardlinks, as they can not link to a network share it seems. Softlinks ('symbolic links') appear to be working on 2 of my HTPC's, though.

For all future generations (Blush) this is what I did:
1. I have a mapped network share to my Synology NAS; drive Z:\
2. Move my advancedsettings.xml from c:\...\ to Z:\xmbc\config_files\
3. Execute this command in an elevated command prompt on the WindowsBox:

Code:
mklink "c:\users\htpc\appdata\roaming\xbmc\userdata\advancedsettings.xml" "z:\xbmc\config_files\advancedsettings.xml"

4. This generated a nice 0-length advancedsettings.xml file in the c:\..\ directory, and after starting xbmc it found the movies on the NAS as before.

Thank you all for your suggestions Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Put the advancedsettings.xml on a share?0