• 8(current)
HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review
wait until the memory starts leaking....
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2014-01-25, 19:37)pike Wrote: wait until the memory starts leaking....

Nobody would say it would be perfect, but it sure beats a blank screen!
If anyone else wants a play, changes are here:

https://github.com/craigcarnell/xbmc/tree/ffmpeg-hevc

Not all ffmpeg patches have been applied.
(2014-01-25, 18:52)tutu Wrote: It's compiled and I'm now playing a h.265 HEVC encoded file in XBMC!!!

I'm seeing about 40% CPU usage on my Intel Haswell NUC Smile That's just on 1 core, the other ones don't seem to be used much. This is on a 4gb 720p encode.

Like I've said multiple times, x265 CPU usage has been vastly overstated. It's EXTREMELY CPU intensive to encode, but decoding isn't that bad.
(2014-01-27, 02:25)tential Wrote:
(2014-01-25, 18:52)tutu Wrote: It's compiled and I'm now playing a h.265 HEVC encoded file in XBMC!!!

I'm seeing about 40% CPU usage on my Intel Haswell NUC Smile That's just on 1 core, the other ones don't seem to be used much. This is on a 4gb 720p encode.

Like I've said multiple times, x265 CPU usage has been vastly overstated. It's EXTREMELY CPU intensive to encode, but decoding isn't that bad.

It's not overstated. Using the lowest-profile of H.265 at a low bitrate, just about anything can playback the file. It's not hard to find an H.265 file that will bring most of your computers to their knees, and those are still using the Main 8 profile.
Well I watched 2 encodes using hevc at the weekend and playback was flawless. It wasn't so using VLC on my Mac (which is actually more powerful than my NUC). It took me less than half a day to make the modifications to XBMC/ffmpeg (not including all patches..), compile and test.

No the file sizes aren't huge (neither is the bit rate) but I had no issues at all. If somebody has a more stressful HEVC sample I'd be willing to test it.

In one to two years will be seeing HEVC decoding acceleration in the GPU anyway (or maybe sooner!).
Post 98 I think. Honestly click the link.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The limited amount of encodes I've seen available seem to be offering no more than a 20% saving therefore suggesting to me that HEVC isn't being fully utilised yet, even the NFO's that come with these files say they are purely the results of experiments with the encoders and not intended to be mainstream yet.
I'm not surprised jjd-uk. Hence why I only follow it loosely and don't really think it will come to fruitation until the end of 2014. It's a new standard, and people are still figuring out how to encode with it.
I hate to say it, but there is usually one major "release" that people follow. Awhile back it was axxo, now it's yify. I really think it will be when yify starts releasing things in x265 that there will tons of posts on here asking "Why can't I play movies in this new format!!!!?!?!?!?!?!"
yifi is crapola of the highest order.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Depends what you're looking for. If you're a quality freak, sure. If not, they're great.
(2014-01-28, 00:29)nickr Wrote: yifi is crapola of the highest order.
push conversation the other way...
I tried the ~8000kbs 1080p video on the elucard website on a 800mhz i7 ultrabook and CPU usage was around 70%, video played without a hitch. Not sure how that sample rates in difficulty to decode though. Does anyone know of a x265 equivalent of 'killa sample'?
(2014-01-28, 03:20)Ned Scott Wrote: push conversation the other way...
apologies...
(2014-01-28, 03:47)teeedubb Wrote: I tried the ~8000kbs 1080p video on the elucard website on a 800mhz i7 ultrabook and CPU usage was around 70%, video played without a hitch. Not sure how that sample rates in difficulty to decode though. Does anyone know of a x265 equivalent of 'killa sample'?

big buck bunny is very easy to en/decode since its animation and the samples have a low bit rate.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review0