[Solved] Setting NVidia Gamma on XBMCbuntu
Hmmm. I had no issues running 12.04 or 13.04 on this PC when connected to a standard monitor. I went to XBMCbuntu because I had some issues getting it to auto-login and auto-launch XBMC. I know Centos servers but not Ubuntu desktops so I gave up rather quickly and moved to XBMCbuntu.

And that first sentence makes me think of something. Might my issues be caused by installing and configuring on a "regular" LCD monitor and then moving the system to the TV? Should I have installed XBMCbuntu with the TV as my monitor?
Sounds weird but I won't rule that out.

Today I tried to verify my recommendation of forcing limited color range by editing xorg.conf. Interestingly it had no effect (my test system was configured to auto-login into openbox). The setting seemed to get overruled by a nvidia-settings configuration. I have no clue what made this config to load, autostart did not execute nvidia-settings -l.
After I deleted all nvidia-settings config files it worked. Maybe your xbmc session loads some different nvidia setting?
Interesting. I will give it a try.

And I will have to see if I have any files around that could be affecting this. I've backed out any changes I've made, to the best of my knowledge, but I may have missed one. Or there may be something else doing it.

Thanks again.
(2013-07-30, 12:47)Scottes Wrote:
(2013-07-30, 07:43)nickr Wrote: How about running nvidia-settings --load-config-only from the XBMC startup script?
What is the name of the XBMC startup script on XBMCbuntu? That, basically, is my original question, but I can't figure it out. Every way I've tried has not taken effect.
I am pretty sure it is /usr/share/xsessions/XBMC.desktop
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Solved by enabling Settings... Video... Playback... VDPAU Studio level color conversion

This didn't solve my original question about setting gamma, but - even better - solved my original problem with too-bright whites and too-black darks.

I can now see differences in all levels of a 40-step grey-level calibration video. I can't tell the difference between the 99% and 100% whites, but the 1% and 2% are very clear so I probably just need to adjust the TV a little better.

Thanks for the help on this.
VDPAU studio level does conversion to limited range and should have almost the same effect as settings limited range in the driver. The disadvantage of vdpau studio level is that colors of GUI and other sources than vdpau are still wrong.
Hmmm. I did not really pay attention to colors, just the grey levels, as I was heading to work when I decided to try this. I did notice that Contrast and Brightness controls disappear when it's enabled.

Maybe I will go back and try to figure out how to get Limited applied. For now, enabling this does get me close to what the picture should look like. It's certainly a lot better than without the setting enabled.
(2013-07-30, 16:38)FernetMenta Wrote: Are you sure that you don't have a nvidia-settings-rc file which gets loaded?
What if you change color range from inside nvidia-settings? Do you see the difference?
Older post, but just trying to cover bases...

Basically, to the best of my knowledge, I do not have an nvidia-settings-rc which could get loaded. I have tried several ways to load one, but none worked so I always backed out any attempt by renaming the file (like from ~/.nvidia-settings-rc to ~/.nvidia-settings-rc.NO).

I have tried editing xorg.conf, setting RGB and Limited and YCbCr using all combinations of the following options:
Option "ColorSpace" "RGB"
or
Option "ColorSpace" "RGB"
Option "ColorRange" "Limited"
or
Option "ColorSpace" "YCbCr"
Option "ColorRange" "Limited"
And with none of the above.

None of these have a discernible effect on the range of greys displayed. This is odd, since changing to YCbCr was detected by the AV amp. But it (apparently) was not Limited, which is supposed to be the default for YCbCr...

The only thing that makes a difference is enabling the VDPAU studio corrections. Since that is not as desirable as Limited, might you have any other ideas?

Though I have to note that I have not yet tried nickr's suggestion of loading the Nvidia settings by using the XBMC startup script. Maybe I can over-ride xorg.conf that way...
Have you tried setting limited in nvidia-settings panel? You can compare the setting with the need for restarting X.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] Setting NVidia Gamma on XBMCbuntu0