Migrate OpenELEC from USB to dual boot drive?
I had XBMC running on my HTPC and after a few issues decided to try OpenELEC running from a USB stick.

After using this successfully and happily for several weeks I'm now ready to make it a permanent install on the HTPC. I would like the two (Windows 7/OpenELEC) to co-exist via dual boot setup. There are many pages on the web (and a few posts on the OpenELEC forums) supposedly offering solutions but all seem either incomplete or require fresh installs from scratch or don't match my scenario.

Worst case I could install Windows 7 again but I'd prefer not to if possible. Can anyone recommend a reliable procedure/tool set to repartition my drive, migrate my USB OpenElec install to it and (ideally) retain my Windows setup? I'm quite comfortable with Unix/Linux and command lines but not really up to date with partitions, boot tools etc.
Use this guide http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Config_dualboot with some changes

You shouldn't have to reinstall windows, but you will have to install Ubuntu minimal(at least that's how I've done it). First from a ubuntu live cd resize your windows partition to create some free space, create a extended partition then with in that create partitions for:

OE_DATA Id say at least 8gb, but reallt as big as you want, this will house the OE /storage directory (database, fan art, addons etc)
OE_SYSTEM 256 MB
UBUNTU 1.5 GB

I prefer ext4 format. Label the drives as such and label the windows partition too, as OE will mount them by their labels which is easier to use.

Follow the guide up until rhe bit about adding a GRUB menu entry (editing /etc/grub.d/40_custom), but instead of installing a full blown ubuntu desktop as per the guide do all of this from a ubutnu live CD as its easier than doing it via command line. Then install Ubuntu minimal (Ubuntu minimal because we only need it for GRUB) onto the hdd, setup ssh and follow the rest of the guide through ssh. I recommend using the UUID method for the grub menu entry.

I've put together this add on to reboot once to windows without using a keyboard:
http://openelec.tv/forum/128-addons/6235...another-os

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Migrate OpenELEC from USB to dual boot drive?0