Am I the only one?
(2013-08-05, 15:58)jammyb Wrote:
(2013-08-05, 15:38)Nu7s Wrote: I think you are wrong for hating on the products. Yes, they bring an influx of new members who are not all equally intelligent, but XBMC has gained popularity. I'm sure this can only have a positive effect on sponorship and the continuity of XBMC.

Don't hate on the RPI or TLBB, they are doing there best to provide the best XBMC experience for that pricepoint.
If you want to hate, hate on all the Android boxes that are promissing the miracles so many people believe. Including me, my €120 Mele A2000 is a Usenet downloader now, while my €40 RPI is my main media player.

I hate them because its not a full experience and never will be. So whats the point?

So many people I know who've bought pi's and because its not instant. Blame the software. They don't blame the hardware. They then buy a WDTV or similar because "it'll do and it was cheap"

If xbmc worked as well on the pi/TLBB/etc as it does on full blown kit. It wouldn't be free! But they know its a hobbyist niche and to get the full cream out of it. Needs a bit of money on it. Everyone who's tried the pi [myself included] all had high expectations for it. We all did. You know it! When it came to pass. We quickly moved on. But people are not reading those threads. They're posting new ones asking why doesn't it do this and doesn't do that.

But thanks everyone who posted in with different perspectives. We all want xbmc to succeed. The future is ARM but its not ready yet. Time will help but my patience for the amount of rpi threads is waning lol.

(2013-08-05, 15:49)Nu7s Wrote: The Pi's capabilities change constantly, it would be impossible to maintain it. People wouldn't read it anyway.

They would if no one replied with answers. Only posting the thread link to it?

Will it ever do dts-HD? I don't think so!

Well funny you say that DTS-MA should hopefully be available soon DOM (Popcornmix) has an intern working on it now.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewto...04#p395577
(2013-08-05, 15:58)jammyb Wrote: Everyone who's tried the pi [myself included] all had high expectations for it.

Strange, I had low expectations but was blown away by the various uses the Pi could provide.

(2013-08-05, 15:58)jammyb Wrote: I hate them because its not a full experience and never will be. So whats the point?

Will you follow the same thought when you buy a car? Everybody needs to drive a Ferrari?
No, I drive a Hyundai and play my media on a RPI. Wink
(2013-08-05, 15:34)goujam Wrote: I think what you will find is many people with use the PI as an introduction to XBMC then see threads like this and think I wonder what im missing and before they know it they have a HTPC running XBMC. I dont think thats a bad thing!!

I count myself in this bracket.

I have a Pi in the bedroom running just as I want it. I've now fallen in love with XBMC and want a nice shiny version of it in my lounge when the time is right.
Are you sure that it is raspberry pi problem? or it is software problem.
I don't think that xbmc is some kind of super optimalised software.

I simple don't like android way to do thinks
more cores more Adidas

On rpi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYIy05lpsBA
(2013-08-05, 15:18)Nu7s Wrote: If it wasn't for the RPI, I wouldn't have been using XBMC

+1
I got the pi as a throwaway to see if I could get my son interested in computing, and was blown away by it when we installed openelec. Its not what it can or can't do or how slow it is, its what it can do for the price, and more importantly, what it stands for.
Its designed for the open source community, not to keep them out like most hardware, so doesn't need jailbreaks or other warranty voiding hacks to make it work.
(2013-08-05, 14:33)jammyb Wrote: Imagine all the hours used on the pi/android development had been used on the "full cream" edition that most of us use and enjoy. It'd be a very different story.
This is a false choice argument. XBMC is not a corporation who decided to throw it's resources at the Pi at the expense of directing it at "full cream" (whatever that is). The development put into the RPi has been by volunteers who were inspired enough to spend their most valuable resource, their time, working on it. You can't say that these same people should have been spending their effort on other tasks - they may not have had any interest or ability in the things you want done.
The Pi gets exactly the right amount of attention - that which it generates by being compelling enough to draw people to it. Whether we find the platform appealing or not (I don't) is irrelevant.
(2013-08-05, 16:06)goujam Wrote:
(2013-08-05, 15:58)jammyb Wrote:
(2013-08-05, 15:38)Nu7s Wrote: I think you are wrong for hating on the products. Yes, they bring an influx of new members who are not all equally intelligent, but XBMC has gained popularity. I'm sure this can only have a positive effect on sponorship and the continuity of XBMC.

Don't hate on the RPI or TLBB, they are doing there best to provide the best XBMC experience for that pricepoint.
If you want to hate, hate on all the Android boxes that are promissing the miracles so many people believe. Including me, my €120 Mele A2000 is a Usenet downloader now, while my €40 RPI is my main media player.

I hate them because its not a full experience and never will be. So whats the point?

So many people I know who've bought pi's and because its not instant. Blame the software. They don't blame the hardware. They then buy a WDTV or similar because "it'll do and it was cheap"

If xbmc worked as well on the pi/TLBB/etc as it does on full blown kit. It wouldn't be free! But they know its a hobbyist niche and to get the full cream out of it. Needs a bit of money on it. Everyone who's tried the pi [myself included] all had high expectations for it. We all did. You know it! When it came to pass. We quickly moved on. But people are not reading those threads. They're posting new ones asking why doesn't it do this and doesn't do that.

But thanks everyone who posted in with different perspectives. We all want xbmc to succeed. The future is ARM but its not ready yet. Time will help but my patience for the amount of rpi threads is waning lol.

(2013-08-05, 15:49)Nu7s Wrote: The Pi's capabilities change constantly, it would be impossible to maintain it. People wouldn't read it anyway.

They would if no one replied with answers. Only posting the thread link to it?

Will it ever do dts-HD? I don't think so!

Well funny you say that DTS-MA should hopefully be available soon DOM (Popcornmix) has an intern working on it now.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewto...04#p395577

That's awesome! Should cure some stuttering!

(2013-08-05, 16:29)Nu7s Wrote:
(2013-08-05, 15:58)jammyb Wrote: Everyone who's tried the pi [myself included] all had high expectations for it.

Strange, I had low expectations but was blown away by the various uses the Pi could provide.

(2013-08-05, 15:58)jammyb Wrote: I hate them because its not a full experience and never will be. So whats the point?

Will you follow the same thought when you buy a car? Everybody needs to drive a Ferrari?

I had high expectations as they make good network audio boxes. Plus you can use them to WOL other devices on your network externally. Anyone see that Ben heck episode where he made an old arcade game out of one and desoldered a load of ports off it?

Your car analogy is flawed. It's more like buying a 1litre ford fiesta and remapping it with a focus rs map and then wondering why it hasn't got 300bhp. The pi has to be overclocked to be near good but is still maxxing out just sat on the confluence home screen.

(2013-08-05, 16:42)ThePolarSky Wrote:
(2013-08-05, 16:29)Nu7s Wrote: Will you follow the same thought when you buy a car? Everybody needs to drive a Ferrari?

It's the Jeremy Clarkson-syndrome.

Eh? How?

(2013-08-05, 16:58)miskol Wrote: Are you sure that it is raspberry pi problem? or it is software problem.
I don't think that xbmc is some kind of super optimalised software.

I simple don't like android way to do thinks
more cores more Adidas

On rpi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYIy05lpsBA

Of course it's not super optimised. But it is starting to become heavily fragmented! If they didn't develop for pi's, for TLBB's, android boxes and apple TVs. Would it be more efficient/optimised for its main starting base? The HTPC?

(2013-08-05, 19:04)teaguecl Wrote:
(2013-08-05, 14:33)jammyb Wrote: Imagine all the hours used on the pi/android development had been used on the "full cream" edition that most of us use and enjoy. It'd be a very different story.
This is a false choice argument. XBMC is not a corporation who decided to throw it's resources at the Pi at the expense of directing it at "full cream" (whatever that is). The development put into the RPi has been by volunteers who were inspired enough to spend their most valuable resource, their time, working on it. You can't say that these same people should have been spending their effort on other tasks - they may not have had any interest or ability in the things you want done.
The Pi gets exactly the right amount of attention - that which it generates by being compelling enough to draw people to it. Whether we find the platform appealing or not (I don't) is irrelevant.

Full cream is milk lol.

Why don't you find the platform appealing?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Don't understand the Pi hate. I use mine almost every night. It's my "third" XBMC install (two others are full-fledged HTPCs). I know its limitations yet am quite satisfied with its performance. Price can't be beat, either.
Zed's no moving parts HTPC
i3 2100, Thermalright Ultra 120 HS, 4GB DDR3, 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, Z68 Mobo, Silverstone TJ08B-E Case, Seasonic 400FL PSU, Onkyo TX-SR608

Zed's Trinity uHTPC
A10 5700, Noctua NH-L9a HSF, 4GB DDR3, 64GB Crucial M4 SSD, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 Mobo, Wesena ITX4 Case w/90W PSU

jammyb,

XBMC scales very well to the hardware that is available. When new hardware comes out, it's not long before XBMC can take advantage of it. I think there's some builds floating around that are already doing 4k hardware video decoding. Likewise, XBMC scales downward pretty well. There are light skins and options that can be turned on or off, depending on what hardware resources you have available.

You're bitching because you can't use all the options all the time. How does that make any sense? If a car doesn't have wings, should someone bitch that it can't fly?

There was a time when XBMC didn't have advanced skins and the interface was even more basic than default Confluence with all the artwork options turned off. Does that suddenly become less useful than it was simply because new options showed up? Why is it that people think something suddenly isn't good enough just because extra options exist with another box? Did the movie get more enjoyable because you have the ken burns effect on fanart?

Did I mention that all the optimizations that are done for ARM XBMC platforms cause dramatic performance increases on more powerful XBMC systems? Aiming for acceptable performance on these low powered systems is driving XBMC to cut old crappy code and replace it with more leaner stuff. The last thing you should hate on is the time and effort that goes into the development of these systems.
I've been waiting for you to post Ned. Out of the core XBMC team you seem to post the most in this section. Smile

I think it's been put pretty much straight over the last couple of pages. My gripe isn't with the pi but with the people posting why the pi can't do x or stutters on y. Just because it can play 1080p doesn't mean it should run xbmc should it? And as an "introduction" to xbmc, really? To the ones that don't fully realise the limits of the pi. They think the non smooth UI of xbmc on the pi is a reflection of the software. Not the hardware. And that's the problem. But you can buy ready made xbmc kits with the pi. Perhaps a label on the box saying what it can't do might help? Huh

I know the pi is a capable machine. But it's main aim wasn't for xbmc. But there must be a limit as to how low spec xbmc can go before its pointless on a certain device? Or is the pi the bottom of the barrel?

I appreciate that the arm developments help the x86 spec machines have an even better experience and that arm is the future. But intel don't seem to be making arm. They're pretty close with their Haswell chips though aren't they?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

To be honest, I havn't seen many RPI users complain on the forum? As far as I know, it's mostly users who buy cheap chines boxes advertising to run XBMC only to find out they can't.
Maybe jammyb's frustration is really one of my pet peeves which is the blanket suggestion of some piece of hardware without reading an OP's requirements. It's no more useful to swoop into a post and suggest a RPi without reading than any other piece of hardware or saying to someone who wants to run Windows for Netflix, emulators, etc. they should install OpenELEC.

After you've made a nice detailed post ticking all an OP's boxes to have a one-line response after yours with just "get a Pi" with no explanation why or how it addresses the OP's needs ... maybe that's the root of the frustration Big Grin But, there's no way around that. That's just style/etiquette and there's no way you're going to get that from the whole of the internet Smile C'est la vie. C'est forums.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Am I the only one?0