• 5(current)
Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences
(2013-09-17, 19:45)c00per17 Wrote: I've downloaded the 2 files (SPI and firmware) and renamed the files with a .IMG extension. When I use the firmware update app on the Box, it only see's the SPI file, not the firmware file.
I don't know why you do all this, just hit the "upgrade" button in the app drawer and wait
(2013-09-17, 21:23)saddie Wrote: Another user (I think it was Greyleaf) was having the same issues I think. He ended up changing the default player to DVD player for MP3s. It's somewhere in this thread, just read from page 1.
Edit: Yes it's post #29-31 or so. Might be of help..

Aaargh, sorry I missed this! Thank you! And thank you Greyleaf!
(2013-09-18, 00:18)ciquta Wrote:
(2013-09-17, 19:45)c00per17 Wrote: I've downloaded the 2 files (SPI and firmware) and renamed the files with a .IMG extension. When I use the firmware update app on the Box, it only see's the SPI file, not the firmware file.
I don't know why you do all this, just hit the "upgrade" button in the app drawer and wait

put both file in a usb stick and power up the box. Run Upgrade app and choose local update, choose the SPI file first. then do Run Upgrade app and choose local update with the other file. each time the box reboot.

I used a 16gb usb and was not working then a try with a 2gb usb and it work
might be your usb stick try changing it I had this problem
I just updated a friends box yesterday and as ciquta said all I had to do was click on the Update icon and everything was done OTA. This has been like this for the past 5 boxes I updated .. I wonder why it doesn't work like this for everyone.

(2013-09-20, 04:38)soccerFan Wrote:
(2013-09-18, 00:18)ciquta Wrote:

put both file in a usb stick and power up the box. Run Upgrade app and choose local update, choose the SPI file first. then do Run Upgrade app and choose local update with the other file. each time the box reboot.

I used a 16gb usb and was not working then a try with a 2gb usb and it work
I am totally new to this and just purchased the atv 520 a couple of days ago. I believe (hope) I have xbmc configured correctly with the Hubwizard, and it seems to work well, although by reading this thread I think I'm not even aware of half of what it can do. My question is, (please forgive me if this is not the correct place to ask it but I can't find anywhere else where it is being discussed) ... the youtube app that comes with the device works for video but there is no audio at all. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Can you access youtube from within xbmc?
YouTube works fine here both with the XBMC Add-On as well as the Android YouTube App.

[quote='chesterfield' pid='1511517' dateline='1379776768']
I am totally new to this and just purchased the atv 520 a couple of days ago. I believe (hope) I have xbmc configured correctly with the Hubwizard, and it seems to work well, although by reading this thread I think I'm not even aware of half of what it can do. My question is, (please forgive me if this is not the correct place to ask it but I can't find anywhere else where it is being discussed) ... the youtube app that comes with the device works for video but there is no audio at all. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Can you access youtube from within xbmc?

@cooper: another user had an issue with only one update file appearing - see post #32. He did something weird like hitting the menu button 8 times in a row and both files appeared. If this works please post back your results!

As another question - which remote controls are people using for their ATV520? I'm thinking of the air mouse Mele F10, or another bluetooth keyboard remote? Anyone have any other advice?

saddie
(2013-09-24, 03:55)saddie Wrote: As another question - which remote controls are people using for their ATV520? I'm thinking of the air mouse Mele F10, or another bluetooth keyboard remote? Anyone have any other advice?
saddie
I just bought the Mele F10. Waste of money - don't bother. It looks well made, but it is NOT for XBMC. I don't think it is really for android either.

1. The Menu button(s) do not work - they are actually Back buttons. Makes it pretty hard to use in android. And it stuffs you around all the time as you keep hitting the Menu button!
2. The air mouse is hopeless in XBMC. There are a couple of threads around where users are trying to turn the mouse mode off. Not very successfully, as far as I can see. The problem is that XBMC does not like a mouse - and you cannot turn the mouse off!
3. The center key of the up/down/left/right quadrant is the right mouse button!!! Totally weird. It should be the Enter key - which is at the top left. What this means in practice is that you are always turning on mouse mode. You also have to stop and think where the Enter button is. Totally hopeless.
4. A lot of the keys simply do not work. ie the Power button and a lot of others.

The keyboard itself seems ok . so if ALL you want is a keyboard, then I guess it would be ok. I would recommend another unit - I would not even get this if I was just using android and not XBMC. The lack of a Menu button really limits it.

If you were close by I would give you my Mele - it is going in the bottom drawer as a failed purchase.

(2013-09-21, 17:19)chesterfield Wrote: I am totally new to this and just purchased the atv 520 a couple of days ago. I believe (hope) I have xbmc configured correctly with the Hubwizard, and it seems to work well, although by reading this thread I think I'm not even aware of half of what it can do. My question is, (please forgive me if this is not the correct place to ask it but I can't find anywhere else where it is being discussed) ... the youtube app that comes with the device works for video but there is no audio at all. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Can you access youtube from within xbmc?

Yep - Youtube works perfectly on my system - I just pick it as a Video Addon in XBMC. Sounds works fine. It also loads very quickly. I am most impressed with it.

Some times I find that in XBMC there is no sound. Not only with Youtube. This seems to be when you go back to Home and then back into XBMC. I find that the audio has been muted in some way. Probably a bug. I just nudge the volume control on the remote and the sound comes back.

There are HEAPS of bugs in the android version of XBMC. My XBMC crashes out at least once a session, often more. It usually loads again very quickly, so no big deal.
Thanks Saddie, that worked like a charm. I found that I still had to rename the files to .img. It wouldn't display the update when it was in a ZIP format.

Is anyone else having issues with slow/choppy youtube videos on this box? My ATV520 is hard wired to the network. When I play youtube videos (using the latest YouTube App), the video freezes every 2-3 seconds.
Have tested YouTube Add-On within XBMC and as well as the APP in Android and both work great for me.

I kind of agree about the remote situation. After trying several different remotes I always find myself just using the little black remote that came with the box. After the last update that remote works great for XBMC. I have a DiNovo keyboard/mouse and purchased the Remote/Keyboard that is sold with TLBB and unless I am surfing the web or using an Android App I just think the simple remote that comes with the ATV520 is better for XBMC.
Thanks, I rebooted the atv520 box a few times and all of a sudden youtube sound is now working. Now I'm having another issue with the box - when I turn it off (via the remote that came with it) and on again a few minutes later, all is fine. But if I turn it off and then a few hours later turn it on again, I just get a blank grey screen. The only way I have found to fix this is to physically unplug the power cord from the box, then plug it in again. I'm using a wired internet connection (turned wifi off) so I don't think it's my internet. Has anyone else had this problem?
Just to confirm, the MyGica 520 does not support Linux XBMC?
Just got this box from canadacomputers.com for $79.99 plus shipping plus gst. Just wanted to post my experiences so far.

I plugged the device into my tv and into wired ethernet and it worked right out of the box. XBMC worked and I was able to play a 720p x264 over nfs. But I wanted to update to the latest firmware. So I went to the Update App and tried to get it to update over the air but it failed with an error something like "Connect Server fail". I tried a few times, but it would immediately fail with the same error. So I went to the geniatech website and downloaded these 2 files:
www.geniatech.com/down-eng/androidtvbox/update_spi_mx_20130805.zip
www.geniatech.com/down-eng/androidtvbox/update_stvmx_20130805_eng.zip

Renamed them to .img and copied them to a usb stick. Updated the spi file first and the box rebooted itself. Then had to press the menu button 8-10 times to get the stvmx file to show up. The box updated and rebooted itself. I was not able to connect via wired ethernet. As soon as I would turn the ethernet on and try to enter the config settings, it would kick me back out to the launcher. I connected with wifi and it worked just fine but slow (it showed as only being connected at 26Mbps) to my wifi-n network. But ethernet refused to work. xbmc 12.2 seemed to work fine. I unplugged the ethernet, plugged it back in, unplugged the power, plugged it back in, still no ethernet.

I reflashed the same firmware and it was the same result.

Then I flashed the mygica firmware:
http://www.mygica.com/down-eng/new/updat...130510.zip
http://www.mygica.com/down-eng/new/MyGic...130622.zip

I flashed using the same process (rename to .img, copy to usb, update spi file first, then update the second file, pressing menu 8-10 times). Ethernet immediately worked, but I was again unable to update automatically using over the air getting the same "Connect server fail" message as when I originally turned on the box. XBMC 12.0 worked fine in this one also.

Then I flashed these 2 files:
http://www.geniatech.com/down-eng/androi...130510.zip
http://www.geniatech.com/down-eng/androi...130506.zip
(using the same process of rename to .img, copy to usb, update spi file first, then update the second file, pressing menu 8-10 times).

Once both files were flashed, ethernet immediately worked again and the box started downloading and updating itself (which i just left it to do) to 20130805 and it updated itself and rebooted and this time ethernet worked just fine. XBMC 12.2 was installed and was again working quite well.

If I had another one brand new, I think I would flash it to geniatech's 20130510 and then let it update itself to 20130805. I think the mygica firmware won't allow automatic updating, once you get a working geniatech firmware (with internet access), the box seems to update itself. I have no idea why flashing it directly to geniatech's 20130805 build didn't allow ethernet but it's working now so I'm happy.

Just thought I'd post my experience in case it helps others.
Thanks for posting your experience. I just purchased mine from Canada Computers also. I didn't have the same issue you did with the ethernet not working ... it always worked, but I'm having an issue with turning the box back on after a few hours. First, the red lights flicker blue then go back to red. I repeat this a few times, then they finally stay blue. Then I get either the normal home screen, but with no network connection, or else I just get a grey blank screen. The only remedy I can find is to physically unplug the power cord and plug it back in. I have no idea if that could be connected to your issues, but I'm willing to give your solution a try. This might be a dumb question, but once you download the files onto the usb stick, how do you copy them onto the ATV520 box and update the spi file? I'm not even sure where you would find this option. Thanks!
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences5