Linux HOW-TO: XBMC machine as Chromecast Receiver.
(2013-11-01, 17:05)klikkamongo Wrote: Hi,
Great work!
Does the "Cast entire screen (experimentally)" button work? (See this video if you dont know what I am talking about).

I also wondered if anyone of you know if there is a similar feature for Windows?

I don't know I'll give it a try.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-11-01, 20:07)nickr Wrote:
(2013-11-01, 17:05)klikkamongo Wrote: Hi,
Great work!
Does the "Cast entire screen (experimentally)" button work? (See this video if you dont know what I am talking about).

I also wondered if anyone of you know if there is a similar feature for Windows?

I don't know I'll give it a try.

Did you figure it out?
Yes it does
Thanks I have this working great.

I just wanted to share a neat usability workaround I came up with since at times I don't want to manually switch to a remote to stop XBMC's playback and unblock the audio.

I created a shell script that sends the JSON command to stop playback then I edited the google-chrome script to run said command. This stops playback XBMC any time you connect to leapcast. (only on connect from a app not just leaving leapcast as a always on background service)

My script (The sleep is needed or the audio doesn't get un-blocked in time)
Code:
#!/bin/bash

USERNAME=xbmc
PASSWORD=pass
SERVER=192.168.1.118
PORT=8080

wget --user=$USERNAME --password=$PASSWORD --header='Content-Type: application/json' --post-data='{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.Stop","params":{"playerid":1},"id":1}' http://$SERVER:$PORT/jsonrpc -O /dev/null
sleep 3s

Then I just edited /usr/bin/google-chrome and ran that script at the start.

Some time I may come up with logic so it only sends the stop command if needed not all the time but I haven't worried since I can't think of anywhere a errant stop command should hurt the system.
Hello.
I just installed this on my Raspberry Pi with XBian, and it seems to be correctly installed. However, when I try to cast from YouTube app on my Nexus 7 it says: couldn't create display. It seems that DISPLAY=:0 doesn't work for me...Any ideas?

EDIT: I am using chromium for Raspberry Pi (special pi-optimized version of chrome)

Cheers,
Max
I don't think chromecast works with chromium.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-14, 21:27)nickr Wrote: I don't think chromecast works with chromium.

Now I have the next problem: I just tried to boot and now I don't see diplay anymore, butssh and xbmc remote work perfectly...
I think it's because of changing $DISPLAY variable. But how can I revert it to original?
If I find the issue for DISPLAY, I believe leafcast should work too.
Cheers, Max
Where did you change it?
(2014-01-14, 22:40)nickr Wrote: Where did you change it?

Didn't the first line set DISPLAY to :0? Or is this only for this command?
Cheers, Max
(2014-01-15, 07:55)Maxr1998 Wrote:

Cheers, Max
The line I suggested in post # 1 only sets $DISPLAY for that line. Your problem is somewhere else.
(2014-01-15, 08:31)nickr Wrote:
(2014-01-15, 07:55)Maxr1998 Wrote:

Cheers, Max
The line I suggested in post # 1 only sets $DISPLAY for that line. Your problem is somewhere else.

Oh no, I'm feeling like a noob...When I am just thinking about it it could be that the hdmi cable is corrupted...I'll look for it on friday, won't be at home until then... Big Grin
Cheers, Max

EDIT: it was the hdmi cable, should have known it
After reinstalling chromium-browser and fixing several other things (it didn't find nss libraries, bc of I reinstalled) find the only error I get now is:
(chromium:1618): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I using the chromium-browser package from official ppa...
(2014-01-18, 11:23)Maxr1998 Wrote: After reinstalling chromium-browser and fixing several other things (it didn't find nss libraries, bc of I reinstalled) find the only error I get now is:
(chromium:1618): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I using the chromium-browser package from official ppa...

Where do you get this error?
(2014-01-19, 06:02)nickr Wrote: Where do you get this error?
I start leapcast from ssh, and there I get the error directly after I connect my device to leapcast and try to play sth from there.
I just reread the thread. I believe you need chrome, not chromium. But I already said that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: XBMC machine as Chromecast Receiver.0