Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK
I am watching the OUYA (and similar) in hopes that Android will be the solution to getting a solid Netflix app and XBMC on one device. I won't need a bunch of ports or big memory, just HDMI, hardwire ethernet, and a remote.

Nirvana would include a PVR/TV interface for Cablecard tuners not reliant on WMC.

NUC like devices seem the best choice in the meantime.
Your correct that once Ouya have a stable Hardware accelerated XBMC then its good enough for streaming solution. But they still need to implement CEC also since I've heard some don't like to use the pad to control XBMC.

Also If you plan on having an Ouya for 2 years say then wait a little longer (6 months) so the NUC will come down in price, after the release of the next NUC (matter of weeks). (And who knows how long will it take for Ouya to be able to work out of the box?)

then I would say you can probably get a NUC for about £50 more than an Ouya with lots more potential
(2013-08-20, 15:13)MediaPi Wrote: Your correct that once Ouya have a stable Hardware accelerated XBMC then its good enough for streaming solution. But they still need to implement CEC also since I've heard some don't like to use the pad to control XBMC.

Also If you plan on having an Ouya for 2 years say then wait a little longer (6 months) so the NUC will come down in price, after the release of the next NUC (matter of weeks). (And who knows how long will it take for Ouya to be able to work out of the box?)

then I would say you can probably get a NUC for about £50 more than an Ouya with lots more potential

If you wait 6 months there will also be a OUYA 2 on the market.

Whit better specs
(2013-08-20, 03:19)MediaPi Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 01:06)nickr Wrote: What about a USB soundcard? Turtle Beach make some good ones with S/PDIF out. http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detai...icro-ii/31

Personally I would be reluctant to put anything I wasn't sure about in my HDMI chain - too much possibility of interference with EDID etc. A USB soundcard like above will work perfectly with win/lin.

EDIT: well linux has drivers built in, windows it looks like you have to add them separately, so much for the 'ecosystem'. Not sure about win8 either.

Its written on that page you linked to "allowing you to connect your Mac or PC"
Who do you think is the biggest market in terms of OS in the hardware buisness? Microsoft.
How little you know Big Grin

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/linux-w...20220.html
If you consider NetApplications' data set, then Linux owns only about 1 percent of the desktop OS market and Windows has almost 92 percent. But if you consider all computing platforms, including mobile, than Windows has only 20 percent and Linux has 42 percent

If you add to that the embedded market then Linux market share increases to around 98%.
Seriously Bmul? you think after the endless broken promises the fact that its been what 2 months into the first cycle of the Ouya and they still don't have an official or even an unofficial working XBMC experience, that they will just go ahead with their intial plans on releasing a yearly cycle upgrades?

First of all they will not hit that yearly cycle in the next 6 months, more about 10 months. Secondly who will their customer base be? why would the first customers who brought the ouya buy another for another £100. Especially after the bitter first experience and that alot of people having nothing but praise for the NUC, an alternative and almost gaining ground on price. That leaves a much smaller market .

Also if you've been reading the tech news, Amazon is releasing an android system in matter of month. So is Google. And apparently so is Apple LOL. I will be shocked if Samsung have not got one coming.

Ouya will not make much out of the hardware, their whole buisness model is dependent on app sales.
"A recent report has shown that 72% of the people who own an OUYA are yet to spend a single cent on games – and that 13 of Ouya’s 20 most popular games have only seen an average of 8% of gamers upgrading from free or light version to the full version of the game."

Ouya is a doomed concept. XBMC and Console emulators are really the only reason the Ouya is brought (anyone want to challenge this notion, feel free) but that is not in the slighest bit profitable buiness model. (won't even pay the bills since its zero) They will only ride out the reserve cash flow they have. I did hear their was a cash investment of $15 to Ouya but the likes of google,amazon,apple will spend 10 times as much ($150 million) just on advertisment on their respected very soon to be released products.

Not sure how long it takes to get a product out to market but I'm guessing atleast 6 months, so is Ouya using limited STRETCHED resources to design, implement and release Ouya 2 already when they are no where near getting the first platform working.

That reminds me won't they have to deal with all this "getting xbmc to work" with their new SOC all over again?

Besides all this point how is Ouya going to market the device once Google have the expect same concept except, its the full andorid market (not the limiited ouya app place). I'm sure google will also have a controller pad. Their sitting ducks, they where guinea pigs from the start for the big boys to evaluate the market.

Leaving aside the fact google,amazons,apples unlimited deep pockets, they actually have a viable buisness model or even just to keep you in their ecosystem - add revenue.

They don't even respond to XBMC Developers most of the time - koying started a discussion on the ouyaforum about CEC in Febuary, its now August and they have done nothing. They don't even seem to know which Developer to contact in this matter (CEC), namely opdenkamp (I found this out myself in 5 minutes browsing). from the conversation Koying was literally trying his best to give his free time to get this up and going but I didn't see that much drive on Ouya's part.

So if you think Ouya will release another product in the next 6 months, I'll put £0.01 on it that they don't. (more like 12 months) They probably will take longer to sort out the XBMC on android than the time it takes for x86 NUC to be a comparable alternative to Ouya in terms of price, nevermind the fact that it blows the Ouya in performance and the fact that its an x86 machine with infinte software pool.

Amazon releasing a product soon guys.

Ouya is like Notion Ink Adam, they showed theres some kind of market (tablet market, now look at it and who are the big boys, not even HP lasted longer than a month) then the big boys came and huffed a slight breathe of air and they where gone with their tattered reputation(not even having to flex their muscles). Will be SHOCKED if they will last after the next iteration of the Ouya, if they even get that far

These are my personal thoughts

@ awaldram1

how many users from a consumer market actually spend money on a linux OS platform? What is Canaonical cash revenue on Ubuntu. Why haven't photoshop made a product for linux?

their ends the lesson...
(2013-08-20, 16:01)MediaPi Wrote: [snap]

Probably you are speaking the truth on the fact OUYA is not going to release another product in the next 6 months.
But it has been officially announced by OUYA....

But i doubt the price of the NUC will drop much.
They will only start delivering 4th generation to the market when the 3th generation is almost out of stock.
Announcing something and then releasing it, is something else.

They announced close collaboration with XBMC

They announced close collaboration with Nvidia to optimise tegra 3 to the MAX

They announced multiple title exclusives

They announced backers receiving 2 months in advance before public release.

They announced a revolution

Google announced Nexus Q.

I do believe they will release but have you not read my post? Their reputation, business model, funds are dire. Each new SOC that is realsed needs effort and time to get everything working. They need to fulfill their promise to get an official working XBMC app on the Tegra 3 Ouya first, with CEC. Then they need to get tegra 4 working with Ouya (if thats the next soc they will use?)

By which time NUC with other x86 systems will be released. Google Amazon maybe Apple will have released their products - Samsung to shortly follow afterwards. And then you got the countless android mini sticks that will compete for XBMC share...

Ouya will be saying OuNo SH!$

(Please don't take my arguments personally, I just like a good conversation)
The Celeron 847 in the NUC comes in other systems that have things like USB3 and optical SPDIF. You can also build your own. I would not wait for Haswell NUC to get some other output or on the belief it will be better for XBMC. The fact is for OpenELEC and 95% of HTPC usage (media playback, menu navigation, etc.) the Celeron 847 is plenty enough with smooth video playback and quick response.

A Haswell i5 isn't going to get you better playback (except 23.976 content if you care or notice) or better performance that you can perceive. You'll spend 2-3x as much though so you will notice the dent in your bank account.
Is the Nuc worth the money ?any suggestions pls..thanks...
(2013-08-20, 20:26)warlock09 Wrote: Is the Nuc worth the money ?any suggestions pls..thanks...

REALLYHuh?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-08-20, 20:26)warlock09 Wrote: Is the Nuc worth the money ?any suggestions pls..thanks...

If your in the Uk you can get NUC for £190-£195 ish
Ouya £100
Pi £60
TLBB £100

The Pi is great but really slow and needs alot more tweaking.
the Ouya is basically amazing but some don't like using the controller and some can't get XBMC working so its got a few onths before it can iron out the bugs
Every other android box is basically the same and under £70

all depends on what you want. Have a look at my first thread and see the video with the NUC
have a look on youtube and see how fast a Raspberry Pi runs, the Ouya Runs, TLBB runs....

then you know what your buying and decide.
Is the NUC worth an extra £70 (see my comparison) for your main XBMC device IMO a resounding yes. Buy it, install it, enjoy it. Fast no hassle and upgradable and plus IMO it looks better than anything else. The Ouya just looks out of place.
So yes save abit more and spend it on something that you don't worry about and gives maximum enjoyment.
Now is you plan to get more than one then buy one and the rest buy something cheaper.
If want any other information or my opinion, feel free to ask Smile

@jammy
"REALLY?"
play nice
(2013-08-20, 20:56)MediaPi Wrote:

If your in the Uk you can get NUC for £190-£195 ish
Ouya £100
Pi £60
TLBB £100

The Pi is great but really slow and needs alot more tweaking.
the Ouya is basically amazing but some don't like using the controller and some can't get XBMC working so its got a few onths before it can iron out the bugs
Every other android box is basically the same and under £70

all depends on what you want. Have a look at my first thread and see the video with the NUC
have a look on youtube and see how fast a Raspberry Pi runs, the Ouya Runs, TLBB runs....

then you know what your buying and decide.
Is the NUC worth an extra £70 (see my comparison) for your main XBMC device IMO a resounding yes. Buy it, install it, enjoy it. Fast no hassle and upgradable and plus IMO it looks better than anything else. The Ouya just looks out of place.
So yes save abit more and spend it on something that you don't worry about and gives maximum enjoyment.
Now is you plan to get more than one then buy one and the rest buy something cheaper.
If want any other information or my opinion, feel free to ask Smile

@jammy
"REALLY?"
play nice

Im on a tight budget at the moment? £195 is that with the ram and ssd already..??yeah just wanting to use it as htpc for xbmc mainly?SmileWinkthanks..
(2013-08-20, 20:56)MediaPi Wrote:

@jammy
"REALLY?"
play nice

Don't tell me to play nice bud. The guy obviously hasn't read the first 4 pages of this thread. Let alone the 100+ page/ 300,000+ viewed thread on the NUC!

AND There's a search button AND plenty more threads.

You can answer all you like but it gets tiring repeating yourself after a while! That's why I've put links in my sig!

Ask anyone on here about my posts. I'm the biggest advocate for the NUC!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Yes £195 is everything included but if budget is a criteria, I suggest the Ouya. Read my first post. I do know for a fact alot of people are swearing by Ouya, even though I'm bashing them. Ouya will be perfect for you because I still know members who say almost everything works and that its the best little box going. Also with an Ouya you can check ebay, they are going for around £80 or less. Mate thats the best bang per buck really for what you want.

have a look at this youtube video compaing Ouya with Midnight MX2 to give you an idea of what
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miTst6QE-34

a/ouya can do
b/midnight mx2 (another cometitor) can do.

And also look at other videos on youtube like "ouya xbmc" to give you an idea of what it can do

So yeah my advice NUC for what you want is not worth the money and Ouya from ebay @ £80 is a banging deal, they are almost brand new since the sellers don't know what to do with they and have not heard of XBMC most likely. It will in a few months iron all the bugs out and you will have a seamless experience, although 1080p works right now with libstagefright alpha 1 so your basically good to go. thats £80 all in. If you've got a playstation remote you can even link it up and control it with that. If you got any more questions feel free to ask

jammyb since your an advocate of the NUC would you say what I said in the post above is fair? Just curious on your perspective and I meant nothing bad before and understand what your saying.
If you notice.

There's only one negative on the NUC. The price.

If you want perfect xbmc playback, fluid heavy skin capability and 3D. You buy i3 NUC.

You want perfect xbmc playback, heavy skin capability and SBS 3D. You buy Celeron.

You want silky smooth heavy skins and everything playable. You buy i5

But IMO. If you're future proofing and not contemplating 3D. Go Celeron. Why? Because i3 is £100 more and you can do SBS 3D with the Celeron.

If you gotta. Go i3!

If you don't want to spend the money. Get TLBB. Fuck the pi!

But. Another contender - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171705

But I love my NUC. Hell, I customised it to do exactly what I wanted! I'm not looking to change for a while, but I love talking about XBMC hardware!!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK2