• 106(current)
RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus)
(2017-06-28, 19:36)Powerhouse Wrote: Retroplayer is not complicated, there just isn't a lot of directions that are easy to understand at the moment. So let me help out a bit.

1. Download one of the builds from the first page of this thread (the ones from Garbear have everything basically setup already). I'm using the Windows version for comparison, and have an Xbox One controller, but have also used an Xbox 360 controller).

2. If you have a joystick (I suggest an Xbox 360, Xbox One, or Playstation controller), plug it in. It should be recognized by your OS.

3. Start Kodi 18 alpha (again the Garbear version).

4. If you have ROMS add them to the system, just like you would add Movies or TV shows (they should be in separate directories, but under a general ROMS folder. For example:
D:\ROMS\NES
D:\ROMS\Atari
D:\ROMS\SNES

5. Search for a game you want to play, and click it (no artwork when scrolling through your ROMS at this time though, so everything is very plain). You will be prompted for what core you wish to play this game with, choose any one you like. If something doesn't work, try a different one next time.

6. For an even better experience, use the Internet Archive ROM launcher (IARL) instead. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231339
You will need to install the ZachMorris repo to install this add-on. So add his repo (download the zip file, and add it manually to Kodi). Then from his Repo in Kodi, install the IARL.

7. Be sure to follow the Install Instructions https://github.com/zach-morris/plugin.pr...stallation, then the Setup section: https://github.com/zach-morris/plugin.pr.../1.--Setup With the setup section, start at Step 2 (unless you are currently using RetroArch). Step two is once you are in Kodi, and you need to make changes to IARL for the program to work correctly. One final thing, you need to RUN THE WIZARD in step 4, this is very important or you get errors when you try to launch any ROM.

8. Once the IARL is installed, you will have access to Tons of systems and thousands of ROMS. These have artwork, and even short video clips on some of them. I've played NES, SNES, MAME and SCUMM games, and all were very easy to launch and play.

Hope this helps anyone struggling with this out.

@Powerhouse thank you for your excellent documentation writeup. My problem is that I have a vision of how simple and intuitive the finished product will be, but our current piecemeal system has a lot of holes that really impede usability. These instructions highlight exactly where the pain points are and give me a clear idea of what needs to be improved.

I've split your post to the RetroPlayer documentation subforum: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=317430
(2017-06-27, 16:16)cmiller1 Wrote: Would it be crazy to have a binary toggle or two in the settings for "use joystick.xml" and then advanced users can do everything from there?

Unfortunately yes, this would drive me crazy Smile The reason is because joystick.xml uses Kodi's existing keymap system. This means thousands of lines of code are re-used, but the down side is that configuration can only happen by modifying XML files.

I would like to have Kodi actions be configured in the GUI, but this would be a huge addition because I would have to bypass the current keymap system and start from scratch. I'm not against this, I'm just saying it would be a lot of work.

How do you think the advanced settings should look like? Clearly we wouldn't even mention joystick.xml, because if we have alternative settings then we can drop joystick.xml entirely.
(2017-06-28, 03:42)Domina Wrote: My suggestions:

Franchise or serie (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Persona, Final Fantasy, The King of Fighters,...)
region (USA, Japan, Europe ...),
rating age (ESRB, CERO, PEGI,...) and
number of players (1 player, 2 players, support online multiplayer,...).
Region is a rom element, not a game. I read that the idea is have a "Game" entry and something there will let you select some of the roms of that game. I don't know if this versions can have metadata. The only alternative that I see to have this info is that a Game have all the regions of the versions that you have. And if this can be done, I think that Language is important too.

-------------------------------------------

Other think that was commented is that RetroPlayer wants to implement (and there is a PR in libretro github) VFS to implement rom patching (and other things).
With this, one thing that i miss some times is the posibility to open the original rom or the patched, because you add:
rom.zip
rom.ips

And the emulator always patch the game. If you add the "Game" -> "open version" (for multiples roms for the same game, for example multiples regions or languages) I hope that you can add a entry for patched games:
imagine:
[open]
Rom.zip
Rom.zip (Patched)

And if you can add something to add multiples patch and recognize it. For example, imagine that a rom you have 3 ips:
- Spanish translation
- Rom hack 1
- Rom hack 2

So you can have something to add this 3 patches (of course, only load one, but that you don't need to go to a file explorer and replace the "rom.ips")

I see 2 possibilities, always based in a "rom.zip" original file:
Do a "rom" folder with all the patches: (edit: folder with the rom name)
rom.zip
rom/spanish.ips
rom/hack1.ips
rom/hack2.ips

And show in "Open":

rom.zip
rom.zip (patch: spanish.ips)
rom.zip (patch: hack1.ips)
rom.zip (patch: hack2.ips)

(If you only have one patch, you can still use the rom.ips, doesn't need to create a folder with one file)

*** Warning, save states, screenshots and save games need to modify his name, they can't use the "rom.state" because they will overide, they can do rom_spanish.state for example

Other is use romName_[otherText].ips as patchs names:
rom.zip
rom_spanish.ips
rom_hack1.ips
rom_hack2.ips

But i prefer the previous solution (have a rom.ips or a rom/patches.ips)
(2017-06-29, 02:18)garbear Wrote: How do you think the advanced settings should look like? Clearly we wouldn't even mention joystick.xml, because if we have alternative settings then we can drop joystick.xml entirely.

What about something like this?

Show OSD - None/Long Hold/Button Combo

Save State - None/Long Hold/Button Combo

Load State - None/Long Hold/Button Combo

Etc.

And when you select Long Hold or Button Combo it brings up a dialog asking you to press the button or combo you want to configure for that action?
garbear sensei, just wanted to ask here as we are nearing completion of alpha 1 Lea - is there any chance we can test out the android build with retroplayer in? Are there still difficulties in compiling it for android and some codebase missing? Thank you! Smile
(2017-07-03, 12:33)sectune Wrote: garbear sensei, just wanted to ask here as we are nearing completion of alpha 1 Lea - is there any chance we can test out the android build with retroplayer in? Are there still difficulties in compiling it for android and some codebase missing? Thank you! Smile

I don't think we're close to the completion of alpha 1, but I can pop out an android build with the new Game OSD. The entire binary add-on system is being replaced, and because games are the most complication (DLLs loading DLLs) games binary add-ons will probably come last. However the hacky patch I created for Android should still allow libretro cores to be loaded.
Is there still an OSX build coming for the latest revision?
(2017-07-04, 13:18)CrispyXUK Wrote: Is there still an OSX build coming for the latest revision?

Don't have an answer for you, but if you just want to get things working for now, after a lot of testing I've found that the 2017-03-25 build currently is your best bet for OS X.
Thanks man, I'll check it out
I integrated the new Game OSD, but there's currently a problem with analog sticks. When I sort this out I'll upload new windows and OSX builds
New builds uploaded for Windows x86, x64, and OSX. Includes the final Game Menu being merged to master today.

(2017-05-31, 22:18)cmiller1 Wrote: I really like just using a separate IR remote (I use the Apple one) to bring up the OSD from a game... and for controlling the rest of Kodi. Failing that, the many phone apps that can control Kodi work great for bringing up the OSD too. I fear that this is adding loads of complication just so people can use one single controller...

I disagree.

I've got all my emulators loaded onto a HTPC, yet still play using my wii & original xbox simply because I can save & load states, switch games etc without having to put my controller down. It just ruins the experience of playing games for me.

I don't code, but surely a system where when you press the start button it pauses the game (as per usual) & if the button is held down instead of released it then opens the OSD isn't complicating things massively?

If it does, then perhaps as was mentioned earlier, adding another button, something all pads have, like 'down' would be the answer, so pressing down & start together would open the OSD.

Using coinops on the original Xbox for example, I press L1 & Start to save state & R1 & Start to load state.

Obviously this needs to be able to handle controllers with less buttons (original NES style comes to mind, with very few), so one simple shortcut of a long press or multiple buttons to open the OSD just seems to make more sense.
(2017-07-05, 21:01)FoxForceFive Wrote: I don't code, but surely a system where when you press the start button it pauses the game (as per usual) & if the button is held down instead of released it then opens the OSD isn't complicating things massively?

(2017-07-05, 21:01)FoxForceFive Wrote: If it does, then perhaps as was mentioned earlier, adding another button, something all pads have, like 'down' would be the answer, so pressing down & start together would open the OSD.

(2017-07-05, 21:01)FoxForceFive Wrote: Obviously this needs to be able to handle controllers with less buttons (original NES style comes to mind, with very few), so one simple shortcut of a long press or multiple buttons to open the OSD just seems to make more sense.

Can you try the latest build with the new Game OSD?

You can activate it by pressing Guide, holding Start, or pressing Select + X. Those three methods should cover most controllers.
(2017-07-05, 21:14)garbear Wrote:
(2017-07-05, 21:01)FoxForceFive Wrote: I don't code, but surely a system where when you press the start button it pauses the game (as per usual) & if the button is held down instead of released it then opens the OSD isn't complicating things massively?

(2017-07-05, 21:01)FoxForceFive Wrote: If it does, then perhaps as was mentioned earlier, adding another button, something all pads have, like 'down' would be the answer, so pressing down & start together would open the OSD.

(2017-07-05, 21:01)FoxForceFive Wrote: Obviously this needs to be able to handle controllers with less buttons (original NES style comes to mind, with very few), so one simple shortcut of a long press or multiple buttons to open the OSD just seems to make more sense.

Can you try the latest build with the new Game OSD?

You can activate it by pressing Guide, holding Start, or pressing Select + X. Those three methods should cover most controllers.

Wow. That looks ace. I've no idea how I missed these latest posts!

I'll try it shortly.
(2017-07-05, 19:43)garbear Wrote: New builds uploaded for Windows x86, x64, and OSX. Includes the final Game Menu being merged to master today.

Looks awesome, thanks! Does merged to master meen it will be in the next milhouse builds?
  • 106(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus)16