• 11(current)
[RELEASE] Russia Today News Addon
Just reporting following:

Kodi RT plugin not working as of June 22, 2017. Just stopped working. ALL Live streams not working except for Documentary Live Stream. Per show on demand links are still working fine.
(2017-06-23, 18:36)theGuruWithin Wrote: Just reporting following:

Kodi RT plugin not working as of June 22, 2017. Just stopped working. ALL Live streams not working except for Documentary Live Stream. Per show on demand links are still working fine.

Yes, same here for me on Krypton... Undecided
(2017-06-23, 20:17)mrsfixit Wrote:
(2017-06-23, 18:36)theGuruWithin Wrote: Just reporting following:

Yes, same here for me on Krypton... Undecided

Same for me since early june 22nd. Looks like rt has moved the resources again, the level3 (aka securefootprint.net) streams have not changed. Rather the bit of code that tells kodi where to fetch the streams has moved.

On a positive note RT spanish en vivo is back. It wasn't actually gone but did move entirely to youtube and away from the level3 servers for a time. Would be nice to see RT Spanish re-included to the addon.

@learningit: to your point that the stream has changed and that certain hardware just can't keep up with the TLS decryption: On the same hardware and OS using a browser such as chrome, the stream plays flawlessly without kodi. Looks like kodi gets in it's own way while decrypting(). Might kodi be morphing into a fatcat project relying solely on a bazillion cores and a video hardware setup capable of 36000000fps? Yeah I know no one codes in assembler anymore but I'd bet there are some optimizations badly needed when you see one piece of software, a browser doing a better job of playing multimedia streams than kodi on the same hardware and OS. I take nothing away from your hard an likely unpaid work and appreciate your efforts. However to simply state that the stream has changed and to see that kodi doesn't properly handle the very same url that chrome handles properly, smoothly and virtually without an hiccup, leaves an unanswered question.
I just tried this on another RPi with Jarvis and v 1.10.1 of RT.

All live streams (except for Espanol- which never worked) are working.

**Update**

I just uninstalled the newest version from Krypton, and reinstalled v 1.10.1.

All live streams (except for Espanol) are working again.

**UPDATE #2**

Just tried this on another RPi running Krypton with exactly the same result. Live streams are working again.

So much for using the latest versions of addons... Undecided
(2017-06-23, 22:01)mrsfixit Wrote: I just tried this on another RPi with Jarvis and v 1.10.1 of RT.

**Update**

**UPDATE #2**

Just tried this on another RPi running Krypton with exactly the same result. Live streams are working again.

So much for using the latest versions of addons... Undecided

@mrsfixit: What I want to know: are you using a truly stock version of 1.10.1 or a modified version created to bridge the time it took for version 2.0.1 to settle? The original 1.10.1 fetches the urls from EDITTED BY MOD
I just tried this on another RPi with Jarvis and v 1.10.1 of RT.

**Update**

EDITTED BY MOD
Let's stop putting code and m3u8s in the support thread! Great way to attract a takedown notice.
Especially for versions that are custom. Does nothing but confuse add-on users.

V3.0.1 fixes website change
A pull request has been issued for the kodi.org repo.
The add-on should update in a few days.
(2017-06-23, 21:02)newsbeast Wrote: @learningit: to your point that the stream has changed and that certain hardware just can't keep up with the TLS decryption: On the same hardware and OS using a browser such as chrome, the stream plays flawlessly without kodi. Looks like kodi gets in it's own way while decrypting(). Might kodi be morphing into a fatcat project relying solely on a bazillion cores and a video hardware setup capable of 36000000fps? Yeah I know no one codes in assembler anymore but I'd bet there are some optimizations badly needed when you see one piece of software, a browser doing a better job of playing multimedia streams than kodi on the same hardware and OS. I take nothing away from your hard an likely unpaid work and appreciate your efforts. However to simply state that the stream has changed and to see that kodi doesn't properly handle the very same url that chrome handles properly, smoothly and virtually without an hiccup, leaves an unanswered question.

You are always free to read the core code, create the fix and submit it. Team Kodi is always incorporating useful patches.
All of it is located here:
https://github.com/xbmc

We welcome your submission.
(2017-06-24, 04:08)learningit Wrote: Let's stop putting code and m3u8s in the support thread! Great way to attract a takedown notice.

Ok, now I'm the one who is confused.

I was asked a question, I tried to answer it as best I could by providing what was in the default.py.

I don't get it.

If I broke any rules I apologize. But I was under the impression as long as one wasn't using a plugin that isn't considered legit, it wasn't a problem.

Live and learn I guess. Sad
(2017-06-24, 04:29)mrsfixit Wrote:
(2017-06-24, 04:08)learningit Wrote: Let's stop putting code and m3u8s in the support thread! Great way to attract a takedown notice.

I was asked a question, I tried to answer it as best I could by providing what was in the default.py.

I don't get it.

If I broke any rules I apologize. But I was under the impression as long as one wasn't using a plugin that isn't considered legit, it wasn't a problem.

Discussing a version several versions back just confuses users looking for updates from the developer.
If you want to post code, open a new thread in the development area.
You can always create new threads outside of the add-on support thread to have conversations about things with other users.

V3.0.1 fixes website change
A pull request has been issued for the kodi.org repo.
The add-on should update in a few days.

I understand your concerns regarding posting code in (this) support thread, however your comment regarding a "takedown notice" still confuses me...

Surely, RT is aware that you (we) are accessing their site/content and Team-Kodi is authorized to do so, using this official add-on (what would they request to be taken down)?

BTW, your support and prompt add-on update, are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
(2017-06-24, 04:55)mentat Wrote: I understand your concerns regarding posting code in (this) support thread, however your comment regarding a "takedown notice" still confuses me...

Surely, RT is aware that you (we) are accessing their site/content and Team-Kodi is authorized to do so, using this official add-on (what would they request to be taken down)?

Thanks.

It is one thing to mimic the website and use the m3u8 presented dynamically by the website. It is quite another to publish a disused m3u8, naked so that no load sharing or redirect from a server under maintenance, etc. is done. Puts loads on servers that may not be able to carry them.
I have had takedown notices for exactly that. So wherever possible I write add-ons to behave the same as the website does.
The add-on tends to break less often as a result as well.
(2017-06-24, 05:04)learningit Wrote:
(2017-06-24, 04:55)mentat Wrote: I understand your concerns regarding posting code in (this) support thread, however your comment regarding a "takedown notice" still confuses me...

Thanks.

It is one thing to mimic the website and use the m3u8 presented dynamically by the website. It is quite another to publish a disused m3u8, naked so that no load sharing or redirect from a server under maintenance, etc. is done. Puts loads on servers that may not be able to carry them.
I have had takedown notices for exactly that. So wherever possible I write add-ons to behave the same as the website does.
The add-on tends to break less often as a result as well.

Understood.

Thanks.
One other important point this add-on is not an "official" add-on.
An "official" add-on would be supported by the content provider.
This add-on is not approved by RT, it simply behaves like a web browser to allow display of the content in a manner similar to a web browser.
(2017-06-24, 04:37)learningit Wrote:
(2017-06-24, 04:29)mrsfixit Wrote:

I don't get it.

Discussing a version several versions back just confuses users looking for updates from the developer.
If you want to post code, open a new thread in the development area.
You can always create new threads outside of the add-on support thread to have conversations about things with other users.

I don't visit the "development" area... too many rocket scientists over there... lol
I guess next time I'll just send a private message.
I didn't realize posting code was a no-no.
Honestly- I was just trying to be helpful. Confused
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Russia Today News Addon2