Whole House Distro setup - XBMC based on VmWare ESXi 5
(2013-09-16, 09:25)nickr Wrote: Forgive my ignorance, but:

1. Why do you need the VMs? Can windows not run a multiseat setup?

2. Does this distribution system send component or hdmi or something else? What resolution does it support (I thought component was limited to 720p/1080i)

That beast server rack would NOT fit under my stairs Sad

1.) A couple reasons, I have one serving HDMI Audio and another serving Analog/Optical, two people can watch movies in different rooms, I can watch Star Trek in the theater while my wife can watch TV shows in the living room.
And I am not sure how cleanly you could run a multiseat to different monitors, this setup other then the initial plan of the build (choosing the right HW) was pretty simple

2) I serve 1080P over component, 1080i restriction over component was a man made HDCP issue.

(2013-09-16, 10:05)protocol77 Wrote: i was going to ask the same questions why have you setup multiple VM's

why do you need seperate windows versions in different vm's running off the same machine if you just ran say Windows server or even Windows 7 or Windows 8 as the server OS and had it doubled as a server and whatever else you want to run on it
you could have windows server and then install xbmc on it i would assume it should run fine i have a windows home server 2012 on my server i don't use it for xbmc as i have seperate HTPC's but i am sure if could run xbmc if i wanted

basically unless those other windows versions are used for something dedicated i dont see why you run seperate ones when one Windows OS installation would be able to handle multiple tasks

I run separate VM's b/c one I have the spare licenses to do it, two if I need to reboot one of the HTPC's it doesnt cycle the Server and all the RAID drives. I can reboot each VM remotely through the iPad app

Messages In This Thread
RE: Whole House Distro setup - XBMC based on VmWare ESXi 5 - by naa3e5 - 2013-09-17, 03:17
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Whole House Distro setup - XBMC based on VmWare ESXi 50