Mini ITX i3 Haswell Build
Try hosting your pictures on imgur.com. They will be downsized so that they load quicker.
It also integrates with the forum quite easily.
My apologies, I thought I'd resized them before uploading. Will change that now.

D.

Pesky 6 image allowance - why is that??

Here's more;

(2013-09-18, 13:21)mrhyde1969 Wrote: Do you not find that cpu fan a bit noisy? I have one in my system and find it a little too loud for my taste

Then you´ve got to be very sensitive if you´re hearing a Shuriken when a movie is playing..
(2013-09-18, 13:21)mrhyde1969 Wrote: Do you not find that cpu fan a bit noisy? I have one in my system and find it a little too loud for my taste

If your Big Shuriken is too noisy, it's super easy to replace the fan. I replaced mine because the included fan developed an issue after a while. I have a Gelid PWM on it now and even with your ear next to it all you hear is a slight whoosh of air. It might help too it's a full thickness fan.
Managed to get HD Audio passthrough working by following fritch's instructions on upgrading the kernel (halfway down the first post) here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707

Huge thanks for that.

I've lost the bookmark for the MCE K/B fix I was going to try, so I'll have to trawl for that again. No case yet either!

cheers

D.
Case arrived this afternoon and the good news is the CPU cooler fits! Case is a Streacom FC7 Evo and was bought from ebay for £39 and you might notice, it doesn't have any front usb ports. I prefer the cleaner look, but as it's going to be in a cupboard it's no big deal. Case is nice and it went together in no time.

The most frustrating thing for me now is the MCE remote (and the keyboard) still isn't working. I'm a bit green when it comes to Linux and it's starting to piss me off that the amount of information I have to take in is getting me nowhere. I'd appreciate some tips on troubleshooting the IR side of things. If not, then it's back to Win7.

Time to plug it in and see if it's still working.

cheers

D.
double post - can't delete it! Huh
Nice looking rig!

Sorry if I missed it but are you using usb 3.0 for the remote? I had a could never get Ubuntu to recognize my MCE remote on a Gigabite Brix which only had 3.0. Windows 7 was fine after I loaded the custom drivers for it. Not sure if its the same problem but I eventually gave up and got a NUC which has USB 2.0.

Ernie
Cheers Ernie.

I was aware of the USB 3 bug port and I'm 99% sure I wasn't using them. I eventually installed my copy of Win 7 and everything seems good so far.

I re-installed openelec beforehand on a USB stick and managed to get everything working, bar the remote. So frustrating......might buy a cheap bluetooth setup and give that a go at some point.

As an aside, temps seem pretty high to me, so I'm going to try an exhaust fan and if no better, then I'm going to make a mesh lid for the case - seeing as it's going in an enclosed cabinet, maybe not a bad idea. Windows & XBMC is lightning fast as you'd imagine and once I'd set the Intel display drivers up (I'll do a full settings run down soon) movies look pretty damn good.

Happy = Yes.

Room for Improvement = Yes.

More tinkering tonight....

cheers

D.
(2013-09-20, 11:31)deksawyer Wrote: As an aside, temps seem pretty high to me, so I'm going to try an exhaust fan and if no better, then I'm going to make a mesh lid for the case -

Did you use some thermal paste to attach the fan to the CPU? Once I bought a PC and they hadn't done this, and it reduced temps by 15C.

Exhaust fan will add noise ... but I did wonder how the upward pointing fan on the Scythe was meant to vent the heat out into the solid top of the case.
Drilling holes in the case seems like a recipe for annoyance... you will have to file down the burrs the drill creates and it will also create silver exposed areas next to the black anodised aluminium.
Dremel a hole in the top and buy a fan filter with grill http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-120mm-...B0036WTDHK
Fixed the high temps issue. Guess what I'd forgotten to do....?? Confused

D.
Can you check the power consumption (idle and full load Prime95) ? I want to know if it's better than i3 Ivy Bridge.
Thanks
I'll try. Think I have a power monitor somewhere....

D.
So you have full bitstream sound support? THD soundtracks blah blah? That's what's pushing me towards Haswell. I'm eyeing the new NUC but it's not available and your build looks plenty compact! the USB3 issues doesn't sound good though. I run Linux for my builds and yup the MCE remotes too.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini ITX i3 Haswell Build0