HEADS UP: Label positioning change for Gotham
(2013-10-30, 03:37)jmarshall Wrote: @pecinko: Crash on amber is not due to no <posy> - rather it's due to a coding bug in XBMC (read of NULL ptr) which occurs when one of max or min is unspecified in an auto width/height control. Have fixed that.

Also re-implemented the old <posx> hacks and fixed a couple other issues.

Should be all good to go now (famous last words...)

Take a look at Quartz if you have time. You can switch to it and navigate as log as your not on Home page. Home page load crashes XBMC. Not sure if it is not OS X Mavericks specific or if above bug hunting did remedy it already.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

With the merge window coming up for this, I just want to make sure I understand these changes 100% before I start making changes to my skin. If I'm understanding right...

PosX and PosY are both essentially deprecated?

When aligning a label either let or right, we now use Left or Right respectively instead of PosX?

The new CenterX sets the central position of the control in relation to the window (or control group, or whatever), regardless of the width? So if I set the CenterX at, for example, 500, the control will always be centered at 500 regardless of its width?

Hope that's all correct. Gonna challenge myself to see if I can update my skin in the same 30 minutes it took Ronnie! (No chance Wink)
Yup, exactly. Notice that you don't have to do anything if you don't want to - it's now fully backward compatible.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Great, thanks for the confirmation.

I'm presuming that PosX and PosY will be removed at some point in the future, so - particularly as my skin is a new one for Gotham - it might as well be up to date with these things.
Yup, The XLST that I posted earlier can be used to switch the right aligned labels if you want.

Otherwise, it's just search n replace.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(2013-10-31, 16:10)pecinko Wrote:
(2013-10-30, 03:37)jmarshall Wrote: @pecinko: Crash on amber is not due to no <posy> - rather it's due to a coding bug in XBMC (read of NULL ptr) which occurs when one of max or min is unspecified in an auto width/height control. Have fixed that.

Also re-implemented the old <posx> hacks and fixed a couple other issues.

Should be all good to go now (famous last words...)

Take a look at Quartz if you have time. You can switch to it and navigate as log as your not on Home page. Home page load crashes XBMC. Not sure if it is not OS X Mavericks specific or if above bug hunting did remedy it already.

Quartz works nice with Frodo 12.3 on Mavericks.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I've tested Quartz on Gotham - works fine.

Note this has now been merged. As I said before: All old skins should still work ™.

Finished updating my skin to use the new layout tags. Just one question, is there a particular reason why dialog coordinates still appear to require posx and posy?
(2013-11-04, 17:56)Unfledged Wrote: Finished updating my skin to use the new layout tags. Just one question, is there a particular reason why dialog coordinates still appear to require posx and posy?

should be fixed now:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/d637...859a6788e5
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Thanks Ronie
There's been a bit more discussion, and some have suggested that <right> should respond differently: i.e.

<right> should specify where you want the right edge of the control to be measured from the right, whereas <left> and <centerx> should measure from the left.
Similarly, <bottom> should specify where you want the bottom edge of the control measured from the bottom, with <top> and <centery> being measured from top.

If the above change was made, this would effectively bring it similar to how CSS and HTML is done. Further, we could probably remove the "from the right" labelling via the "r" postfix. i.e. <left>30r</left> would be invalid.

Thoughts? I'd kinda like to get this right before we freeze Smile Whatever works for you guys works for me.

Cheers,
Jonathan

(2013-11-06, 05:28)jmarshall Wrote: There's been a bit more discussion, and some have suggested that <right> should respond differently: i.e.

<right> should specify where you want the right edge of the control to be measured from the right, whereas <left> and <centerx> should measure from the left.
Similarly, <bottom> should specify where you want the bottom edge of the control measured from the bottom, with <top> and <centery> being measured from top.

If the above change was made, this would effectively bring it similar to how CSS and HTML is done. Further, we could probably remove the "from the right" labelling via the "r" postfix. i.e. <left>30r</left> would be invalid.

Thoughts? I'd kinda like to get this right before we freeze Smile Whatever works for you guys works for me.

Cheers,
Jonathan

And how about going all the way, like:

My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Could do (centerright/bottom immediately define centerleft/top so certainly no more effort involved).

I like the idea of right and bottom measuring from the right and bottom of the screen respectively - reminds me of my CSS days. However, I can't get my head around what then happens to right-aligned labels - I presume we'd continue using the right tag, as we do under the new positioning system - but just measure the distance to the right edge from the right of the screen instead of the left.

Sounds simple enough, but then we're going to have controls mixed together where some are measured from the left, some from the right. Could make the xml's harder to understand at-a-glance.
Under Gotham, labels are identical to any other control. If we switch to measuring <right> from the right, then it doesn't matter what the control is: the right edge of it will be on the right. Note that the _content_ of the control may not necessarily be hard against the right edge - that depends on alignment within the control. You're defining the rectangle for the content. The rest of the control stuff (e.g. the <align> tags) define how the content sits inside that rectangle.

I think I'll switch to right and bottom being measured from the right and bottom respectively.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEADS UP: Label positioning change for Gotham0