• 106(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Thanks alot ! Got it to work now ! Can control it, with the remote, and even boot it up aswell, with the power button, on the remote !

Thanks alot guys
Sweet, be happy, took me 5h+ to get mine work Smile

Anyone tried the newest nightly r16822 yet ?

I still have issues if i want to watch movies after scraping new stuff from my NAS, if
i do so XBMC falls into old behavior with no Sound and heavy stutter.
After reboot, everything works fine again..will try to log that tomorrow..
I hadn't seen the openelec.tv forum post, but I put a short guide together also if it is useful to anyone. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182047
I had to deconflict some IR codes since I already have a Windows Media Center extender for my cablecard, so I set up a custom remote to remove the duplication.
Okay, so I've got my i5 Haswell NUC officially in production and thought I would share my details:
  • i5 NUC
  • 2x4gb Crucial
  • 60gb Intel MSATA
  • Openelec Nightly 16808
  • Onkyo HT-RC160
  • Sony KDL-52XBR9
  • Harmony 890 w/ RF

I realize the NUC hardware is slightly overkill for Openlec, but I figured I may want to dual boot some day. Here's the status:

The good:
  • Overall, production (wife) ready
  • Starts up with remote just fine <6-7sec
  • Plays Blu-ray vc-1 remuxes, 1080p h.264s, and all other modern content just fine
  • Passthru for all audio codecs working well.
  • Very responsive to the remote, even over the RF bridge. No unnecessary repeats
  • Shutdown from the remote DOES work natively. This is the Harmony "Power Toggle" associated with a generic Windows Media Center PC. Seems to do exactly as the button on the top does; gracefully shuts down openelec and powers off. I used no fixes to support this beyond the autostart remote fix.

The okay:
  • Did the autostart remote fix on the post 1, worked well
  • 1080i TS mpeg2 content is a bit blocky
  • Needed to add a 4sec delay between AV receiver start up and NUC start up with the Harmony remote in order for Openelec/NUC to detect the display and chose the right resolution.

The bad:
  • Shutdown from the GUI does not work

Also worth noting that I did not muck with any rendering settings -- basically the default took it. Colors, including black levels look good and there seem to be no skipped frames. Actually not to sure what decoder is being used.
Can anyone list what the recommended settings are to make the most of the video output of the new NUC?

Have seen various suggestions through the thread, but some seem to be conflicting with others.

For certain instances disabling hw accel and enabling multithreaded decoding is recommended, other times syncing playback to display is discouraged but then encouraged again later on. It's all a bit confusing!

FYI I'm running a recent OpenElec nightly (will most likely update to the latest nightly before tweaking any settings) on an i3 nuc.
(2013-05-26, 00:23)fritsch Wrote: 4.) XBMC settings
System->Settings->System->Video Settings:
Vertical Sync: Always on

System ->Video->Playback:
Use HQ Scaler when scaling larger than: 20%
VAAPI: On
Use SW Filter for VAAPI: On
Adjust Refreshrate to match video: On
Sync Playback to Display: On
Sync Method: Video Clock (Drop/Dupe)

It is important that u disable Multithreaded and VDPAU if u use the settings above.
That´s what i am running right now on the latest Nightly, pretty happy with it Smile
I'm having problems with booting from USB stick on a Haswell I3 Intel NUC. Sometimes i get "XZ-compressed data is corrupt". When i get the error and power down the NUC and power on again everything works correct. I tried different USB sticks and different OpenElec Nightly Builds. I also changed boot settings in the BIOS but nothing seems to help. I can't test a stable version because then my Logitech K400 stops working when the install screens appears.

When OpenElec is booted everything works without problems so i don't think it's a hardware problem.

And i also have the shutdown problem. The first shutdown always results in a reboot instead of a shutdown. The next shutdown works fine. When i disconnect the power (i switch power at night) and connect the power back the first shutdown gives a reboot again.
I have the i3 Haswell NUC, and the latest Intel HD drivers installed. Running W7 and XBMC 12.2. Great working piece of machinery, but I have one problem.

The black levels is not good. Black is not black, more like with a tint of grey/white. Is there som way to correct this? It's not my TV, since the problem is not there with Blurays or from my stationary computer.
You need to run Gotham Nightlies, black level and VA-API is fixed there and they run very stable.
Ok, great. It was beginning to drive me nuts. My girlfriend didn't bother of course... Tongue

Can the nightlies be installed "on top" of the stable install? Will Aeon MQ5 work?

:edit: never mind, figured it out Smile
(2014-01-06, 14:17)gamble Wrote: You need to run Gotham Nightlies, black level and VA-API is fixed there and they run very stable.

I've the I5 version, runs great but would like to test on the latest nightlies.
Where can I download those?
When can we expect a new version of OpenElec? Smile
http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com/category/openelec/
I wan't to run Sickbeard/Couch etc. next to XBMC based on OpenElec.
Does somebody else have this running on his NUC? And can it run next to XBMC?
(2014-01-05, 17:38)micoba Wrote: Why the hate for Win 8.1 on the Nuc? It works great for me, especially there's no shutdown problem.

I noticed that no one commented the new Graphics driver, that Intel published on Christmas (via Windows update). I didn't have the time yet to test everything, but did someone else tested it and can say something about DOLPHIN on the i5 with this latest driver? The last one was already pretty satisfying.

Same here. Win 8.1 on NUC i5 and works pretty darn good. No issues whatsoever. I was wondering same about supposedly new Intel graphics driver. In Windows update it only offers date not version, so I did not want to jinx it, and didn't update. Did you try it?
(2014-01-06, 17:01)753951 Wrote: Same here. Win 8.1 on NUC i5 and works pretty darn good. No issues whatsoever. I was wondering same about supposedly new Intel graphics driver. In Windows update it only offers date not version, so I did not want to jinx it, and didn't update. Did you try it?

Intel's Win8 video drivers, both 3345 and the latest 3379, have bugged audio, probably something to do with DRM. It shows up if you try watching anything like House of Cards on Netflix with Dolby Digital+. The frame rate drops to 1, and you have to hit the language button and switch to stereo to continue watching. Unfortunately, Intel has had no response yet. There's a mega-thread on the intel site about it.

Other than that, I have no issues with the 3379 windows update version. Bitstreaming works fine. Might as well update.
  • 106(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7