Release gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on
(2017-06-25, 15:58)SEIKT Wrote: Hey dmd,

Contemplating encrypting my data from here on out. Just a few noob questions to impact my decision.

Is it possible to decrypt encrypted videos and stream them without having to download them via your addon?

Also, can a strm file that links to an encrypted video be playable via your addon?

Cheers

encfs has been supported for a long time, but you need to install support for it on your device as it doesn't come bundled which is fine for Linux, Mac and OSMC, OpenELEC etc (you need to still install the module), not so much fun for iOS, Android, Windows. Also, because of the design of the algorithm, only works if you use an encryption standard that doesn't use block chaining. Plus, due to the design, you need to have space locally to decrypt the file, even though you are not storing it. It needs to pass through the filesystem to decrypt. It also has stability and performance issues and personally I'm not using it and nor will I. I've tested it using various sample encrypted files and I've caused my Raspberry Pi to reboot itself a few times due to stability with decrypting over encfs. Hence the following.

I've been testing Crypto support for the past two months (starting at 0.8.37) that allows users to roll their own encryption (if they know how), or use the sample I provide. It is streamable, doesn't rely on filesystems, etc. It does require a Python that support Crypto or PyCrypto. This is not an issue for Linux, Mac, Windows, OSMC, OpenELEC out-of-box. Not certain about iOS or Android (I think there is support as Crypto is fairly standard). You do need to encrypt and decrypt using routines provided in the code. There is a encrypt.py and encryptFolder.py. Both of which needs some instructions and videos to explain how they work. Also, the files are only visible in decrypted form in the plugin or if you decrypt using decryptFolder.py. I'm also going to make a python standalone version that will allow users to access their encrypted media using their web browser accessing a Python script (you can decrypt or stream).

right now videos/music are working well in Crypto encrypted mode (streaming, fast forward, resume, rewind). I haven't yet looked at photos, and i haven't included encrypted SRT.

Messages In This Thread
u - by Kraevin - 2015-05-13, 17:37
RE: [RELEASE] gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on - by dmdsoftware - 2017-06-26, 03:43
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on12