• 7(current)
My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC
I have just got one of these boxes and all I can say is wow, it's running amazing on this machine. No slow down or lag. Can't believe people don't like these boxes. For £99 there is nothing better to run xbmc. The only problem I have is when I don't touch it it gets dark. But I guess it something with the nightly I am using
(2014-02-02, 23:32)fla_jax Wrote: I have just got one of these boxes and all I can say is wow, it's running amazing on this machine. No slow down or lag. Can't believe people don't like these boxes. For £99 there is nothing better to run xbmc. The only problem I have is when I don't touch it it gets dark. But I guess it something with the nightly I am using

XBMC -> Settings -> Appearance -> Screensaver -> none :)
Thanks but I found out it was my tv and a smart contrast feature.
(2013-12-05, 23:06)solamnic Wrote:
(2013-12-05, 18:29)joelbaby Wrote: Ouya got trashed on reddit today.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/...se/cdu7jx1

The youtube links are something special

Hahahaha ...

According to reddit Previous works of Ouya developers were a wireless Ipad speakers and...

And...

And...

A...... woman's vibrator that could last for seven hours !!!!!!!!!!!

Looooooooooooool

It is still better than anything INTEL can produce. Stick that in your hoohah and smile.
So, new larger capacity Ouya out. Probably the reason they dropped the price on the other one (to move inventory). What holds me back is 24p support. Also mentioned is mpeg 2 deinterlacing not existing, don't know if that still is the case.

Also the possibly weak wifi if I were to get it as a secondary device. 24p would not matter then, but wifi will.
I dont know any android box that does 24p. The only way thats going to happen is if someone makes a linux build xbmc compatible. Given the yearly update cycle the Ouya is going for I dont see this happening. Linux can be run from it already though. Just not xbmc in linux, as far as i know.
(2014-02-03, 13:23)ertman Wrote: So, new Ouya out. Probably the reason they dropped the price on the other one.
Just to be clear, there is no "new Ouya" released.

So far those Ouya's in other colors are only limited-edition versions with the only difference other than color being more internal storage.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/18/ouya-...b-storage/
http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/31/ouya-...tte-black/

You can not call those limited-editions Ouya's with 16GB internal storage instead of 8GB a major upgrade or a "new" Ouya.

They still have the exact same Tegra 3 SoC and RAM memory, all running at same Mhz as before.

http://www.engadget.com/products/ouya/console/specs/

Compare that to both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 which have gone through many revisions over the year but all had same performance.

Rumor is that they might possibly release a next-generation "Ouya 2" with a Tegra 4 or Tegra K1 SoC before the end of this year.
(2014-02-03, 15:49)RockerC Wrote:
(2014-02-03, 13:23)ertman Wrote: So, new Ouya out. Probably the reason they dropped the price on the other one.
Just to be clear, there is no "new Ouya" released.

Rumor is that they might possibly release a next-generation "Ouya 2" with a Tegra 4 or Tegra K1 SoC before the end of this year.

My bad, was misinformed.
(2014-02-03, 15:14)calev Wrote: I dont know any android box that does 24p. The only way thats going to happen is if someone makes a linux build xbmc compatible. Given the yearly update cycle the Ouya is going for I dont see this happening. Linux can be run from it already though. Just not xbmc in linux, as far as i know.

I know, it's just an issue that kept me from using it as a primary device. I was actually told by the Ouya developers that they would be able to get 24p, which was strange since no other android device seemed to be able to do that.

However as a secondary device 24p is not important, but wifi is. The wifi should be good enough for most of my content and I can get a strong signal from pretty much anywhere in my house, but there is varying reports about Ouyas ability to stream high bitrate files over wifi. Not sure if this has been solved yet.
Don't know if this has been posted else where, but Ouya says that cec will not be comming to this generations Ouya in their feb/4/2014 update notes. Source
(2014-02-09, 17:49)calev Wrote: Don't know if this has been posted else where, but Ouya says that cec will not be comming to this generations Ouya in their feb/4/2014 update notes. Source

A bit disappointing. I had thought someone had once said that the CEC pins were connected in the OUYA, which was the only reason people were asking about it in the first place, but now they're saying that's not the case.
Sorry if this question has been answered already or should not really be posted in the xbmc forum , Im looking to get an Ouya as a secondary XBMC Box and for some light gaming...I understand in can stream movies from SMB no problem from my Windows Server but can it play games stored on my server or do they have to be stored on either USB drive or local memory.
(2014-02-10, 17:33)Mark142 Wrote: Sorry if this question has been answered already or should not really be posted in the xbmc forum , Im looking to get an Ouya as a secondary XBMC Box and for some light gaming...I understand in can stream movies from SMB no problem from my Windows Server but can it play games stored on my server or do they have to be stored on either USB drive or local memory.

I use my Ouya with a USB drive. They just recently greatly improved USB support.
(2014-02-10, 17:49)SgtSlaughter Wrote:
(2014-02-10, 17:33)Mark142 Wrote: Sorry if this question has been answered already or should not really be posted in the xbmc forum , Im looking to get an Ouya as a secondary XBMC Box and for some light gaming...I understand in can stream movies from SMB no problem from my Windows Server but can it play games stored on my server or do they have to be stored on either USB drive or local memory.

I use my Ouya with a USB drive. They just recently greatly improved USB support.

Thanks but have you tried a network share via SMB, (this question is mainly aimed towards games but still applies for movies) I know there is only 8GB of on board storage, so one or 2 games or movies and it would be full. I have 2TB of space on my server so want to utilise that.
(2014-02-10, 18:38)Mark142 Wrote: Thanks but have you tried a network share via SMB, (this question is mainly aimed towards games but still applies for movies) I know there is only 8GB of on board storage, so one or 2 games or movies and it would be full. I have 2TB of space on my server so want to utilise that.

Movies, yes. Games, I believe that would be a No. Just use a USB thumbdrive connected to the Ouya for games. I use a 64GB PNY thumbdrive for games and that is more than enough and stream all my movies from multiple NASs.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC1