Forcing folder.jpg to refresh
I use photoshop to make folder art and such, for example... I have 3 folders for music... albums, singles, sort.... I make folder.jpg for each so when clicking through folders I get a nice image on screen.

Problem I noticed is, sometimes I decide to change the file to a new image, but XBMC won't show the new image. It seems to hang onto the old.

Yesterday, I had a problem with a music folder where I guess XBMC detected an albumartsmall.jpg that was hidden, but deleted long ago. I made some artwork for the folders and just could get that one folder to default to the folder.jpg I added. I even went into the ...\roaming\xbmc\userdata\thumbnails folder, found the old artwork that was being used, deleted it, and instead of defaulting to the folder.jpg file, it wouldn't show anything at all. I eventually just renamed the parent folder from My Music, to Music and it looks fine now.

Still, came across the same issue again today switching some artwork out for something newer...

How do I tell XBMC to refresh what it's using? Movies/TV Series that are in the library are easy... but non-library folders, not so much.
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV
Wait till tomorrow and go back and look.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Oh... does xbmc refresh thumbs every 24h?
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Not quite. When the UI requests a texture be loaded off disk, if it has been 24 hours since the last check, it will check for a new version. This is done in the background, and in the meantime it'll load the one already cached.

If a new image is there it'll cache it, overriding the old image. Thus, the next time that texture is loaded off disk it'll use the updated one.

i.e. it may take 2 load cycles with a 24 hour period in there somewhere, but it'll update itself just fine.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Nice... learn something new all the time with this thing. Smile

Also means the next time I'll save some hair pulling and just chill for a few days and see what happens.

Does this also count for say videos thumbs? I had another thread, where I had a few folders of videos (ie music, humour, youtube etc) where XMBC shows a small thumb of the video. Few videos I reencoded and cleaned up because of black bars in the video or wrong aspect ratios etc, but the thumbs stayed the same. I was told the only fix was basically wiping out the thumbs folder which would of course wipe out all my library stuff as well (posted/backgrounds).

Now I gotta go and check and see if stuff changed because well, I didn't like that solution... library is too big to rescrape.
It works for all local art updating the original image. If you add a new image it won't pick it up. Further, if you change a video file it won't pick up the new image unless you name the video file differently.

If you ever get impatient, see script in sig! Smile
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Not sure why everyone on this site assumes all users know how to use stuff like Python, MySQL, databases, or even know what any of that stuff is. I take photos and design stuff things for a living.

... which I think was mentioned last time we chatted, when you suggested either your link, or obliterate the entire thumbs folder... which I'm glad I didn't do.

@jmarshall - What if [for a changed video file] I rename it, wait a week and rename it back to the original name... would it delete the old thumb after a few days? then when named back it'll show a new one?
Oh right yeah, you're that guy that can't follow basic instructions and needs diagrams instead. Geez. Makes me wonder how you installed XBMC in the first place, our did you get someone to do it for you?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Sounds like someone is gettin' a bit cranky....

When someone says download Python and learn basic programming... it's not basic instructions. Especially when the only thing I was trying to do, was refresh a thumbnail.
(2013-12-03, 06:30)THRobinson Wrote: Sounds like someone is gettin' a bit cranky....

When someone says download Python and learn basic programming... it's not basic instructions. Especially when the only thing I was trying to do, was refresh a thumbnail.

Not cranky, just amazed by your unwillingness to step out of your very limited comfort zone even when given clear and concise instructions.

Many (most?) people on this forum are able to take that step, irrespective of their ability when they joined this forum, yet you seem to be one of the very (very!) few that can't or won't, repeatedly telling us that because you "take photos and design stuff" you are somehow incapable of following basic instructions. Seriously?

And for the record, nobody is telling you to learn basic programming - it appears basic comprehension isn't a strong suit of yours either.

Just wait a week or so, I'm sure your thumbnails will be fine. Maybe.
The simple fact of the matter is that I was just needing one or two thumbs refreshed and was looking for a quick way to do it. It's not worth it to download/install Python and go through the instructions simply for that. Or as you also suggested, going nuclear and deleting the entire thing... especially when it seems that if you wait 1 day the thumbs refresh (which they did).

I'm also certain that there are many users on here that use XBMC 'out-of-the-box' with maybe a few add-ons and that's all... because many of us simply have no interest in doing anything more because we're too busy with other things to worry about it. But, for whatever reason, you seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hill over this and taking personal jabs that are based on what? The fact that I don't want to use your scripts?

You also seem like the kinda guy that's going to keep this argument going no matter what... quoting, exaggerating, even pointing out spelling errors, anything and everything just to keep an argument going and sound like you're 'winning' so... I'll just unsubscribe to the thread, click the report button, and be done with it. I don't have time for trolls either.
I don't care if you use the script or not, it was offered as an option, nothing more nothing less. It's your apparent inability to do anything more complicated than "take photos and design stuff" that I find quite remarkable (pathetic, actually) but hey, whatever, I'll just try and remember not to help you in future as you're clearly not worth helping.
I haven't installed an OS that didn't have python installed out of the box for a long time. Doesn't every OS install it?

Oh wait, this is the windows support area. No wonder.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Guys can we keep the atmosphere in here friendly ? No need to call people pathetic because they do not feel comfortable installing python under WIndows.

I don't either Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Forcing folder.jpg to refresh0