Making UPnP shine for Gotham
In theme with the "polishing our diamonds" endeavor, I'm wondering what minor tweaks we can make for the new and/or improved UPnP features.

Some that I think would be great if (and I stress "if") they wouldn't be an issue (in effort or stability) for Gotham:

UPnP "Play-to/with" - There are currently two ways to select another XBMC UPnP target to play a video over UPnP; The context menu and selecting "Play with", or using the action ID/keyboard command SwitchPlayer/Y.

It would be great if "play with" could also be added to the "select action" sub-menu, for those who have that enabled (XBMC -> Settings -> Videos -> File list -> Default select action).

For Touched/Re-touched, it would be awesome to have an actual button for "SwitchPlayer" on the video OSD. It would be similar to how Apple has a button for their AirPlay, more or less.

UPnP "Play-to/with" remote controls - When using the UPnP "Play to"/target feature, no full screen controls show up on Confluence. I'm not sure if it would help, but on Touched and Re-touched, they actually do show up, so if something could be taken from that, it would make using Confluence easier to remote play-to other UPnP targets. Otherwise, you are forced to use the mini player in the left-hand sidebar/blade menu.

Video info screen doesn't show up with UPnP shares - From what I understand, the only time the video info screen (with summary info, and the cast, refresh, etc buttons) is when a scraper is set to that video source. Since UPnP sources can't have a scraper set to them, the window won't show up when you press info (i). There is "info" there that is being shared from the other XBMC UPnP instance, so maybe some kind of "Fake" info screen could be used?

Thoughts about these ideas? Other ideas? UPnP target playback and UPnP library sharing are two very awesome features, even as they are right now. Anything to help them stand out more (discoverability) might also be something to consider in addition to usability.

Messages In This Thread
Making UPnP shine for Gotham - by Ned Scott - 2013-12-01, 04:36
RE: Making UPnP shine for Gotham - by topfs2 - 2013-12-01, 12:39
RE: Making UPnP shine for Gotham - by topfs2 - 2013-12-02, 09:44
RE: Making UPnP shine for Gotham - by Martijn - 2013-12-02, 10:19
RE: Making UPnP shine for Gotham - by da-anda - 2013-12-02, 13:07
RE: Making UPnP shine for Gotham - by da-anda - 2013-12-02, 19:22
RE: Making UPnP shine for Gotham - by topfs2 - 2013-12-06, 17:38
RE: Making UPnP shine for Gotham - by Martijn - 2013-12-06, 18:31
RE: Making UPnP shine for Gotham - by topfs2 - 2013-12-07, 11:02
RE: Making UPnP shine for Gotham - by topfs2 - 2013-12-07, 11:13
RE: Making UPnP shine for Gotham - by da-anda - 2013-12-07, 12:06