XBMCbuntu DNS Problems
Hey Everyone,

I am a longtime XBMC user and have used the windows version. I just got an SSD and figured I would give the linux version a try, because I think it would be cool if XBMC HTPC acted more like an appliance than an OS.

I am running into a couple problems that are probably more Linux related than XBMC related, but was hoping someone could chime in. (XBMXbuntu 12.2)

1. The DNS on the XBMXbuntu box is defaulting to 127.0.1.1, my dhcp server is configured to handout DNS, all windows and mac clients are able to pull the correct DNS. However XBMCbuntu just shows 127.0.1.1. I can SSH to the box and change my /etc/resolv.conf file, but of course, I don't think this is the correct way of doing things, and I don't understand why it just isn't using what DHCP is handing out. I also really don't understand this seemingly odd decision to me Ubuntu in general has made with the resolv.conf file being automatically overwritten. Why the heck isn't there just one place where I can set my static settings where they won't be overwritten?!

2. There does not appear to be an option in the gui to actually enter the Ubuntu gui. I have a power option in the bottom right and I can click on it, but when I do, i just get options to restart, powerdown, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!
If dns is working for you, leave it as is or get your head around how ubuntu does dns now, I can't fathom it, but for me it 'just works' with dhcp.

To get to xbmcbuntu, stop xbmc and you'll get a login screen. Log in to the xbmcbuntu session not the xbmc session.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hey Nickr,

I was being lazy and was hoping someone would explain it for me, and I have looked in the past, but I just did another google search and found a blog post that full explains ubuntu's DNS.

http://www.stgraber.org/2012/02/24/dns-in-ubuntu-12-04/

I still don't fully understand why they made the decision to switch from resolver.conf to resolvconf script?, but at least I understand why they are using 127.0.0.1 now as the DNS on desktops, they have basically setup a DNS proxy to help VPN users.

Thanks for the kick in the pants :-)
lucky VPN users. What about the rest of us?
(2013-12-13, 13:08)johnmerrick Wrote: lucky VPN users. What about the rest of us?

What do you mean?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
if the dns is set up like that (to help vpn) and it's causing problems (like here in xbmc) then why isn't it configurable? or is it?

I turned mine on this morning and it started re scanning my network share as if it wasn't there in the first place. I have got to ditch xmbcubuntu it is too problematic for a simple set up like mine.

My set up for this particular xbmc is: laptop - ethernet - server (for music only). i'm using ubuntu etc because the laptop (samsung n220) can't cope with Windows 7.
So is dns working for you or not?
not with xbmcbuntu. it was working fine then stopped and that is without me changing anything.. I have now switched to openelec with nfs in the hope that it works and stays with what i have fixed it at.

smb/samba has proved to be a pain too.
for DHCP configurations, DNS server entries can be added to the /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf in the following form;

prepend domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4;

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu DNS Problems0