[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
(2014-01-08, 18:35)tinker Wrote: Jatho:

By altering your smb.conf, you've not only solved the 'Workgroup' issue but also assigned a share to the atv520?

Could you explain the use of 'idmap uid' and 'idmap uid'? Is the value unique to each machine and if so, where can we find it?

Also, a quick run-through of how we can copy the smb.conf file in ssh to our remote computer and how to copy it back to the atv would be helpful. It's been years since I've used ssh and I'm still ramping up. We've already discussed how to log-on to the atv with ssh, so a clear explanation should be helpful to everyone. It'd give folks a good example of how to alter atv remotely through the file system too. If we brick it, there's always the bootable SD card to get Linux/XBMC back! Smile

Again, to log on to Geniatech box, use Putty or some other ssh compatible terminal. Enter the I.P. address of the atv, then login = root and password = letmein.

tinker

P.S. Is it possible to make a static I.P. stick by using this method of modifying files?

Correct, its now on workgroup "WORKGROUP" and I've got a share to my XBMC directory so that I can easily make XBMC configuration changes between devices.

I edit the smb.conf by hand using vi, you could sftp the file or use samba / windows sharing but its more work than what its worth to be honest.

So vi /etc/samba/smb.conf, you'll need to know the vi commands, I've used it for years so am comfortable with it but there are other editing programs that may be easier. Once you've made changes make sure you restart the samba daemon as highlighted in my previous post so that these changes come into effect.

I'm not entirely sure what the idmap uid is, you could check the value of your idmap uid in your smb.conf file to confirm if its unique or the same as mine, I'd guess its the same.

If you dont want a config line in the file, rather than delete it put a # in front of it, I has is essentially a comment in a file and anything to the right is ignored, this is handy in case your changes dont work then you could just uncomment the line by deleting the # and your config is reverted, probably also a good idea to backup the file before you make changes in case what you do doesnt work out.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices - by jatho - 2014-01-08, 19:13
Falling at the first hurdle - by malcolmbarr - 2014-02-16, 16:17
TVHeadend hangs at channel switch - by vvd214 - 2014-08-29, 09:20
. - by jon4248 - 2015-05-23, 17:00
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5