[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
Hey many thanks for all that useful info Bobones. Well I am certainly not a box shifter but get many boxes for friends, friends of friends and other contacts and even several to Europe through a friend and contact of mine over there. I just do the techie bit of flashing them, and setting them up so they are fully configured for each end user as I find nearly all folks get really lost at first with XBMC and end up taking weeks trying to get an Android box flashed and configured and often end up bricking them too. So as I love these boxes and have a few myself I do all this for them for little more than a drink and help them out after that if they are stuck. I am basically a retired senior electronics and comms engineer and as you know from chats before I am now 69 years old but going on 18 really :-)

I am not that conversant with Linux OS itself though I did used to work with Unix back in the late 80s and 90s and did do a 5 day engineering level course on Unix and its administration particularly the security aspects, so just need to jog my memory cells and update them for today's incarnations and the Linux GUI we now have. Maybe I will convert my 5 year old Compaq dual core laptop to either latest Linux or even dual boot Win 8 / Linux. So if okay with you I may be asking you for some advice on that if and when I do. Sounds like I need to do this if going to OpenElec XBMC.and also then can get into compiling if my old brain can take it LOL

Just a note that I too have a Sumvision X2 box which was the first of these biger dual core MX boxes I got for testing back late last year and now with Gotham 13.2 and working brilliantly. But I can tell you they are identical to the MyGica 1200 boxes which I now use, just the branding name and some differences with the remotes, though the remotes are interchangeable and have now become very similar. Hardly call them old though as it was only late last year when they first became available for flashing to Linux XBMC Frodo 12.2, 12.3 and finally 12.4 and of course now Linux Gotham 13.1 and 13.2, but I suppose one year is a long time in this market.

So looks like it may be worth me getting a MyGica ATV1800 for testing so will order one next time I order some 1200/520 boxes from my Chinese supplier, but maybe will just order a one off for my experimenting with OpenElec and/or ready for when/if Geniatech or Cronie himself do make Linux builds for these Amlogic quad core boxes. For now though the 1200 and 520 boxes are magic and highly recommended with Linux Gotham 13.2 so for now I remain to be convinced as to the advantages of the new quad core boxes.
Cheers
Raymw

Messages In This Thread
Falling at the first hurdle - by malcolmbarr - 2014-02-16, 16:17
TVHeadend hangs at channel switch - by vvd214 - 2014-08-29, 09:20
RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Gotham Builds - by raymw - 2014-11-29, 06:50
. - by jon4248 - 2015-05-23, 17:00
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5