[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
Any upgrade of the firmware later than the now very old XBMC Frodo 12.2 with these ATV520 boxes will mean you will not get any WiFi facilities, as there are no drivers integrated in the firmware for the now no longer used and very poor Broadcom WiFi hardware that these boxes have. Because of this Broadcom issue, Ember is not stable on the ATV520 boxes as they clearly state on their download page. So the best you can do with that now quite old box is to install MX Linux KODI Helix 14.2 build from Auxbox dated 14/04/2015 as this works well without WiFi adn will simply install over the top of y rou old Frodo 12 firmware. So just connect via Ethernet cable either direct to your router or through a suitable repeater box or BPL (Broadband over Power Line) system.

I would get yourself a new ATV1200 or ATV1220 box with the latest Donor Edition EmbER installed on it to be honest and upgrade your old 520 box to the wired only connection with MX Linux KODI Helix 14.2 as suggested above. One of the G18Ref MX2 dual core boxes would also do the job for you with EmbER..

May though at this stage be worth waiting a month or two for EmbER being available for some of the quad core Amlogic powered boxes, though they are more expensive than the dual core boxes like for like quality/brand and AFAIC the dual core boxes are as fast as I need them to be. So personally IMHO I feel that quad core is an overkill for Linux based KODI use. Though I am prepared to retract that later if I feel there really is a tangible benefit with a quad core processor on these Linux based boxes. Trouble is in time there will only be quad core boxes available.so the move will be forced on us. Sure I know that Android based systems really need quad core to cope with all the bloatware operations going on in the background but honestly who wants Android when you can have Liinux based KODI only running on these streaming boxes. Apart from a working but kludgy Android Netflix app (which so far has no official, or unofficial one that works, KODI add-on available yet) then Android is just a waste of space and a very bad inefficient use of your boxes resources, so for me not an option.
Cheers
Raymw

Messages In This Thread
Falling at the first hurdle - by malcolmbarr - 2014-02-16, 16:17
TVHeadend hangs at channel switch - by vvd214 - 2014-08-29, 09:20
. - by jon4248 - 2015-05-23, 17:00
RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - by raymw - 2016-03-08, 09:02
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5