[Tutorial] Hyperion Ambilight on Linux and OpenELEC x64
I'm a noob and I'm confused! I want to create a Ambilight clone which can be used with my media center (I dont need other sources) and I would like to use as little extra devices as possible (no extra USB TV grabber, HDMI splitter, HDMI converter etc.).

I currently have a Intel NUC currently running OpenElec 6.0.0 64 bits. I also have a Raspberry Pi 2b laying around which I was planning for this setup. I thought my setup would have to be something like this:

Intel NUC ---> HDMI ---> A/V Receiver (for playing the media on the TV)
Intel NUC ---> USB ---> Raspberry Pi
Raspberry Pi ---> GPIO ---> Level converter (to convert the 3V to 5V for the APA102 LED strip)
Level Converter ---> RGB wires ---> LED strip

As to my knowledge I would need to install Hyperion on the Intel NUC using the build from iLLiac4 in this thread to act as grabber and the Kodi/XBMC Hyperion Add-on to send the signal to a Hyperion server. On the Raspberry Pi I would install Hyperion to act as server to actually control the LED strip. So two Hyperion installs, one as grabber and one as server for controlling the LED strip.

After having read most of this topic and a lot of other stuff I'm not sure about these assumptions. Most information is about the software configuration and not how to set up the hardware. Could someone tell me how to set up the hardware in the most simplest way which still allows me to use Kodi on my Intel NUC as media center.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Tutorial] Hyperion Ambilight on Linux and OpenELEC x64 - by Glitch - 2016-01-05, 13:08
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Tutorial] Hyperion Ambilight on Linux and OpenELEC x641