filelist vs virtual playlist problem
yes, it depends on what you want to accomplish. if you just want to see the contents of the playlist, then using discreet info labels has the advantages i explained earlier. you can do some cool things with color/alpha and text size depending on the item's position relative to the current item.

if you want to be able to control the playlist, then a list is better. (the filebrowser could probably be adapted into a small popup now playing window that the user could use to easily select a different song without having to switch back to the now playing window.)

and as loto_bak says, the ultimate thing would be combining the two such that the list can be fully skinned. however, this sounds unduly complicated. the skin layout sounds like it would be very awkward.

the challenge with all of these propositions is that a playlist consists of filename with a description. when you open the music now playing window, a background thread kicks off which fetches the other info and re-labels the items, but this info is only known to the window while its the active window. accessing the playlist contents outside of the now playing window will require constant db queries and/or file opening/closing to read tag info just like in the now playing window.

Quote:for jukebox mode you need to remove the song once its been listened too.
so are you saying that just a "cleared played song from playlist" option would suffice until random play is implemented? that's rather trivial to add.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
to make a simple juke box mode i would require a "remove song when finished/jukebox mode" and next 10 or more songs dialogs (non selectble) then from my music i could get it behave like a jukebox .it would be nice if it added it the top of playlist and starting playing straight away if you press a.....and move all songs down one including the one that was playing. y would add to bottom of que (y again would remove from que) no doubling up of songs and if it was in random to place it randomly in playlist when it is added. only set to behave like this if "remove song when finished/jukebox" mode is selected. also i would need a vis tag is "remove song when finished / jukebox" selected and i would then put a window that fades in/out with the qued songs when your not doing anything, and when you press a key it would fade back in your music selection.

cheers on reflection i quite like the playlists now.....it just it doesnt have a simple que mode its more a mass playlist selector..

my thoughts cheers

i've made the necessary changes to music so that play on a folder affects the normal playlist. i've been using it for two days now actually. it works as described earlier. it clears the current playlist, adds the items recursively, and starts playback immediately. should i commit this change?

i also want to remove the shuffle button from the library window. it's no longer needed now that shuffle can be skinned and keymapped. it was a hack to begin with. it only shuffles the temp playlist, and now play doesnt affect the temp playlist, there's really no point at all for it.

and should the same apply to video? i havent looked at that code yet, but i'm pretty sure it worked the same where. play on a folder in videos used the temp playlist.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
yeah, go for it.

we'll just need to think about a nice way to add the repeat + shuffle to the osds.

cheers,
jonathan

i committed the music stuff. i'll try to update videos on the weekend.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
filelist vs virtual playlist problem0