Linux What's the difference between XBMCBuntu and building your own Linux install?
I've been using XBMC for a very, very long time but I've always installed Ubuntu myself and then installed XBMC, etc.

However, I'm going to upgrade to XBMC 12.3 and I'm now thinking about "converting" (reinstalling) to XBMCBuntu.

What's the difference between the two methods? Is there any reason to NOT use XBMCBuntu?

(Also, will XBMCBuntu be released as 12.3, or will it stay at 12.2 and upgrade using PPA packages?)
XBMCbuntu has a few install scripts which set things up for the detected video card, has a limited number of packages, has login setup to go directly to XBMC without a window manager, and no doubt other tweaks. But you can easily replicate this from a minimal or server ubuntu install. There are a few howtos here and on the wiki for installing from a minimal install. If you want the gory details of how XBMCbuntu is built the source is here

https://github.com/xbmc/XBMCbuntu

For example I found the scripts in this directory quite interesting:

https://github.com/xbmc/XBMCbuntu/tree/m...mc/setup.d

I don't think there will be a 12.3 version of XBMCbuntu, I think they only do a new one on a major release, then you can update from the ppa.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Check out this
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707

this is xbmc from scratch on a ubuntu minimal.

I just did a install of xbmcbuntu and then upgraded xbmc with the one from fernetmenta ppa (in the link) it also worked.
I prefer to install from scratch though if it's a xbmc frontend only system, unfortunatly the 13.10 mini doesn't play nice with my virtual machine frontend, it doesn't detect my display card withouth some kernel patching and module blocking, so at this point I just stuck with xbmcbuntu as base.
I recommend doing a minimal Ubuntu install yourself instead of going with XBMCbuntu. In fact I reverted my dad's XBMCbuntu install to a standard Ubuntu install by uninstalling the desktop and a bunch of other crap. The default desktop in XBMCbuntu isn't the prettiest either so you're usually better off installing everything by yourself.
The focus of XBMCbuntu is on XBMC itself - minimal services are installed on ubuntu, enough to get XBMC up and running. Think of someone wanting just XBMC and satisfying enough Linux requirements.

The main difference I found is that XBMCbuntu is only 32-bit. I used Bram77's guide to perform an automated build of 64-bit ubuntu + XBMC and I've pretty much arrived at the same thing (with some tweaks here and there). I'll begin adding server services onto it as and when I need them.

AIUI, some modules and components don't fully work with 64-bit systems yet (so you're either using a wrapper around a 32-bit version, or will find no support for 64-bit architecture) and there seems to be a general feeling that 64bit currently doesn't offer any benefits over 32. However, for me this new build feels like it boots faster and work smoother than XBMCbuntu - but that could simply be perception.
The difference is simple.

One you install and use, the other you install and tweak to satisfy the inner nerd and because your somewhat ocd and because its cleaner and doesnt use any window managers, but thats just the inner nerd and the ocd talking.
You calling me a nerd?

.. you'd be right, evidentially.

Hey, uNiversal - are you one of Bram's script maintainers? (it was the link in your sig I originally used). Does he still have a hand in it?
I dont "maintain" anything really, I used to PR some fixes , but Bram77 has given up completely on development for well over a year, I still have a fork of the script which has been updated but not tested and in which AMD/ATI is totally unsupported. I try to the extent of total futility to provide some guidance to ppl still using it, and at that I try not to get too involved.

I wasn't calling anyone anything, especially you, since you are not the OP and I wasnt in any way replying to your statements. if anything I was talking about myself and my point of view from the experience standpoint, as substantiated by the end of the paragraph.
I have always just followed the old "XBMC PVR XVBA howto" guide. The important part is the lightdm and polkit configuration which no sane person remembers off the top of their head.

I'm currently running XBMC from inside the DE myself (LXDE core). This way I can use the browser, Spotify, configure various emulators using a GUI and stuff like that and then just click an icon to launch XBMC. As long as you use a stoneage DE that doesn't come with fancy UI effects XBMC works great like this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's the difference between XBMCBuntu and building your own Linux install?0