Noob here w/ probable Noob problem, but Wiki doesn't seem to help.
Just built my first HTPC (AMD A6-5400K, Asrock FM2A88M-HD+, Win7 Ultimate SP1) The PC isn't clocked, all settings stock. Connects to a LAN I've been running for years with both WinXP SP2 and Win7 Ultimate machines all set to share files. The server for my video files is accessed near daily by other machines for storing and retrieving files (AMD FX4300, Asrock 980DE3/U3S3, Win7 Ultimate SP1). It contains multiple movie and TV Series directories and serves a 1Gbps LAN.

Up until I built the HTPC, the only LAN file access I'd used was Windows Explorer and it works great. I verified it was working properly on the HTPC before moving it to the home theater. In the theater, the HTPC connects to LAN via paired 200Mbps powerline adapters (TP-LINK TL-PA2010KIT) fed directly from a FIOS router port. Picture/sound feed is HDMI to a Pioneer SC-63 receiver. Following connection I verified the HTPC had normal LAN/internet access and could play a movie from the server using Windows Explorer and VLC. I found my new Rosewill remote unable to adequately control Windows and VLC, so I tried Windows Media Center. The remote worked and WMC found my server directories (could playback files), but I don't like the program.

Looked around, learned of XBMC, downloaded Frodo 12.2 version and installed it. Remote is compatible, but it couldn't find any LAN based directories. TV is plasma, didn't want picture memory complications, so moved the HTPC back upstairs with a direct 1Gbps LAN connection and it's now KVM switch sharing with the server (which I'm typing on). Following the move, XBMC still couldn't find my LAN based directories. I learned of the new 12.3 build, removed 12.2, downloaded and installed 12.3, no change. (Note, I then installed MediaPortal and have a problem there too, but it does find the LAN directories fine.)

So, plan now is to solve the problem (with you guys help), complete the setup (except for the final audio/video parameters), then take it back down stairs and reconnect to the home theater.

OK, here's my problem:

I just brought up the HTPC and double clicked on XBMC and have its default skin in front of me. VIDEOS is center horizontal bar and I clicked on the files tab below it. A new screen opens with Videos at top left and below it Files, Playlists, Video Add-ons arranged vertically. I click on Files and on the next screen Add Videos. I'm now on the Add Video Source screen with the instruction to enter the paths or browse for the media locations. I click on browse and a menu appears with C:<partition name> at the top and UPNP devices at the bottom. I click on Network File System (NFS) part way down. I see "working" at bottom right and then "(12) Items - Page (1/2)" appears bottom right. This is where I'm stuck.

When I click OK, the menu closes and in the path field I see "nfs://" That address doesn't exist on my system, if I fill in the name field and click OK, I get "Unable to connect" and other appropriate messages since that address does indeed not exist. If I back out and go to SYSTEM/system info, it correctly reports my internet settings and reports internet connected. What is it I'm missing? What is preventing me browsing into my LAN? (I tried clicking on the large network icon at bottom right of the menu screen after the NFS selection, but nothing happens -- was hoping that was a browse portal, but guess not) I'm sure the answer is simple, but I've been trying to figure this out for several days and have got nowhere. Thanks!

PS. Also, I entered three cities into the Weather module and it doesn't display any of them when I try to up/down toggle and always shows the same 32F weather situation. I gather it still doesn't work (or am I mucking up again?)
Try SMB, not NFS...
(2013-12-31, 09:36)GregiBoy Wrote: Try SMB, not NFS...
Thanks very much for your response Smile! I recognize SMB as being the mnemonic for the standard Windows file sharing system.

OK, I have the "Add Video source" screen displayed and it shows <None> in the path field. I click on browse and within the menu, there is no apparent SMB selection.

I click on cancel and in the "Add Video source" screen, I type SMB into the path field. I select browse and all is the same as before. What is it that I'm not doing that I need to do?

Again -- thanks!
Try scrolling down the list if you haven't already. SMB doesn't show up immediately.
(2013-12-31, 10:52)black_eagle Wrote: Try scrolling down the list if you haven't already. SMB doesn't show up immediately.
Ahhh! Major breakthrough, needed to scroll the menu. SMB found and now onto new adventures!

Thanks very much and hopefully that'll be the end of my complications Smile! If not, guess I'll be back :p!
Was finally able to load my collection of sources and am heartily appreciative of the assistance. However, got a question, any opinions on how the video playback quality compares to VLC? Just a question, not a criticism. Thanks again!
Assuming your audio/video settings are right, from my own point of view, given a decent source, XBMC is at least as good as anything else out there !! It started out in our house on an old P4 in the bedroom and now take pride of place in my living room, runs on my eldest 2's laptops and on the younger 2's tablets.

Honestly, I think the Dev's do a remarkable job and constantly improve an already excellent piece of software.

I wouldn't now use anything else.

Oh, glad you are sorted now. Guess you'll be busy grabbing all the artwork, discart and the like now !!!
Bless you dude (and Happy New Year to you and yours)! I'm so new at this it'll probably take me awhile to figure out what I have, what's available, and what I'd like. Initial thinking was just to be able to install a dedicated PC to channel films from my server to my TV with the receiver handling the sound. The two issues I'm currently aware of are that of TV overscan cutting off picture edges (resolved) and the issue of video color space for a PC monitor Vs a TV (two different animals) -- I've yet to sort that out, though all clues are appreciated! I'm very definitely sensitive to picture quality (sound quality as well). Thanks much for your help thus far and if you should have any further assists on hand, they are indeed appreciated! Smile
Ha, it took me a good 2 years to set up my plasma to my liking picture wise. Regarding colour space, the next release of XBMC (Gotham) has a setting for it Wink Alpha builds of it are available and seem pretty stable (I'm currently running one). Audio is all handled by my AVR, with 5.1 out to B&W speakers and a mission sub. Sadly my Pioneer amp is too old to handle HDMI, so video is done to the Pio plasma via a DVI to HDMI lead, and audio is S/PDIF over coax into the AVR.

As the amp switches inputs on the TV, pressing DVR on the remote switches the audio to XBMC and the TV to the correct input. I programmed XBMC to work off the amp remote in that position, so just one remote operates the whole set-up. Broadcast TV is handled by a tuner card and myth TV as the backend. I also have TvCatchup, which gives me over 50 terrestrial channels, and BBC iPlayer which does live and on demand. Have a couple of other UK broadcast based plugins too and we also use it for streaming several local radio stations straight off the net.

Now its all set up properly, the wife, who was very suspicious in the beginning, absolutely loves it. In fact, XBMC is now handling probably 80% of our entertainment and I have already downgraded my satellite subscription and probably will be downgrading it even further !!

I've had other media centre experiences (media portal, WMC, Plex) but for my needs, none of them quite provide the experience or usefulness XBMC does. Yes, there can be issues, but there is generally someone on here that will know how to resolve it and that's another aspect I enjoy.

Happy new year to you and yours, hope the next year brings you a cracking XBMC experience Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob here w/ probable Noob problem, but Wiki doesn't seem to help.0