• 5(current)
Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC
@jacintech.fire this is an open source project, and as such developers itches tend to get scratched.

Can I suggest placing a polite suggestion in the "feature suggestion" subforum, where some itchy developers may see it and pick it up. If no one wants to, your coding efforts will no doubt be welcomed.

Also you keep saying that management of your media is easy and your 8 year old can do it. However in post 1 you said
Quote:As you can imagine, it has become increasingly resource intensive to manage such a large setup
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-19, 20:42)nickr Wrote: @jacintech.fire this is an open source project, and as such developers itches tend to get scratched.

Can I suggest placing a polite suggestion in the "feature suggestion" subforum, where some itchy developers may see it and pick it up. If no one wants to, your coding efforts will no doubt be welcomed.

Also you keep saying that management of your media is easy and your 8 year old can do it. However in post 1 you said
Quote:As you can imagine, it has become increasingly resource intensive to manage such a large setup

Yes; but not because of the Storage solution I am using. Another added advantage of using an object store is that I can better manage the acquisition, processing and management of new media. The word setup refers to the library; less so to the storage...

Thank you kindly for your suggestion. I thought it would help to float the idea in the general help section to get some good feedback before I post it on the developer section...
You still haven't explained how an object model would help with any of the problems you've mentioned - problems, I might add, that I don't have with my fully automated media acquisition system based on a non-object filesystem. The problems are trivial, when given a bit of thought (though not much, just keep it simple...)

How, exactly, would an object store make it easier to manage acquisition, processing and management of media when that task is already a piece of cake (our would be with a sane directory structure and here we are back at the fundamental problem with your setup...)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I'm jealous, Very very jealous Smile
(2014-01-19, 21:14)MilhouseVH Wrote: You still haven't explained how an object model would help with any of the problems you've mentioned - problems, I might add, that I don't have with my fully automated media acquisition system based on a non-object filesystem. The problems are trivial, when given a bit of thought (though not much, just keep it simple...)

How, exactly, would an object store make it easier to manage acquisition, processing and management of media when that task is already a piece of cake (our would be with a sane directory structure and here we are back at the fundamental problem with your setup...)

Can we try this another way?

Let's assume XBMC already has native support for an Object Storage model; now can you think of one (or few ways) this support can be used to drive further development of XBMC?

In short, what would both the everage user with a 200GB NAS or some idiot like myself with a 512TB rig (regardless of the merits of his storage model) use an Object Store within the context of XBMC?

Think about it thay way, then decide if it has merits...
No honestly, you tell us - this is your baby. I'm ready to read and learn. I've solved all my problems in the traditional way with minimal effort (literally, two shell scripts). Now tell us how much better life will be with an object store instead of a traditional file system, or how an object store simplifies "acquisition, processing and management" of new media.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-01-19, 21:37)MilhouseVH Wrote: No honestly, you tell us - this is your baby. I'm ready to read and learn. I've solved all my problems in the traditional way with minimal effort (literally, two shell scripts). Now tell us how much better life will be with an object store instead of a traditional file system, or how an object store simplifies "acquisition, processing and management" of new media.
Oh no. After I have endured such abuse? Nah-ah. I would require the following admision: I (insert name) do not quite understand the concept of an Object Store, as opposed to traditional files and filesystems. Furthermore, I also do not understand how such functionality can benefit both the average and expert XBMC user base...
So you're not able then (I thought you weren't offended)? I'll admit it's not a field I'm particularly expert in, but if you're not able to expand on how an object store makes life any easier with respect to XBMC - and you've presented zero evidence that it can, or will - then it comes as no surprise that you haven't got much of a clue either...! Wink

Is there an "object store" lead article in this months Windows User magazine, or what? Smile
I sure am...but I don't have the resources (or familiarity with XBMC source tree) to do this on my own.

Setting up an Object Store and populating with data is doable (difficult but not impossible). Where XBMC comes in is in its ability to access that data natively.

There is no point on me going off on my own half-baked and choosing an Object Store provider, only to find out that should XBMC decide to embrace the concept, their API binding is coded to a different provider...
Mods can someone please lock this thread?
This guy is clearly just trolling...

Actually I thought it over and jacinthech.fire was right all along, so I decided to build a 513TB farm of 1TB drives. I decided to show off a little so I decided on breaking mine into 513MB partitions... Here is the pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mpeg2tom/36...otostream/

That's really mine... don't Google it... And don't read the description...

btw, how can I make this setup appear as one 513TB drive?
good idea edrikk
THANKS!!! Big Grin
I figured out that I was thinking like a sheep... Now I'm seeing things like Einstein did!
Where is the kool aid?
@macrho, @edrikk,

I rather not add further fuel to the fire. I will write up a feature proposal and submit it to the proper forum.

Once again, my most sincere thanks for your comments and insights.

Kind regards,
@jacintech.fire Just so you know you can send uncompressed Blu-rays through powerline networking but you would have to change from windows shares to NFS it is way faster. I do all the time to my bedroom Raspberry Pi. My Powerline adaptors are even only the cheaper 10/100 versions not the gigabit (since the Pi is also only 10/100).
@shadow,

I have not tried NFS since the late 1990s; I can only imagine how much it has improved since then.

I managed to stream uncompressed BluRay once or twice; but I would encounter issues every once in a while; and since I had already automated the BluRay/DVD processing with handbrake, I abandoned uncompressed folder format in favor of a "Matryoshka" (Matroska) container...
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC5