• 6(current)
Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC
Matroska (ie mkv) has NOTHING to do with compression. It is a container only.

I don't think anyone has abused you, frankly I haven't had any experience with the data model you favour. Perhaps if you explained in words of one syllable what it is and what it would acheive for xbmc, you might get more uptake.

Quote:There is no point on me going off on my own half-baked and choosing an Object Store provider, only to find out that should XBMC decide to embrace the concept, their API binding is coded to a different provider...
By the way a technology standard that has a different api for every vendor is not a standard, it is a crock of s*** IMHO. Why would XBMC want to code a solution for one "vendor" only?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@nickr
An original bluray m2ts file would be anywhere from 15 to 40GB. Once processed with handbrake, the resulting file could be anywhere from 800MB to 10GB depending on the settings...this file can be further remuxed (with MKVTools) into a .mkv container (I like to include different audio tracks; sometimes the original from the bluray disk; subtitles, and such)...

I said Object Store Provider, not vendor. i.e (a particular implementation of an Object Store as opposed to other? Remember, as of now, there is no set standard implementation for an Object Store. The closest thing is OpenStack..).
Again, I am not questioning yours, or anybody's intelligence; I am just clarifying what I said...

On a personal note, I trully appreciate your intellectual honesty: "...frankly I haven't had any experience with the data model you favour. Perhaps if you explained in words of one syllable what it is and what it would acheive for xbmc, you might get more uptake..."
Processing with handbrake compresses it, not putting it in an mkv container.

For example you can rip with mkv, it will take your bluray m2ts file and put it in a mkv container with no compression, the stream wil be the same size. (You can of course make the resulting file smaller than the m2ts by omitting audio and subttile streams you don't want, but that is not compression).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@nickr,
Please re-read my previous post...
Thank you kindly.
@nickr: what do you mean exactly? makemkv or sth else?
HTPC LibreELEC 9.0 - Xperience1080+
RPi3 LibreELEC Milhouse build - Arctic Zephyr
@freem@n,
For BluRay or even DVD processing a combination of DVDFab, MKVTools and Handbrake has given me great results...
There are several guides and howtos online; but with handbrake the best is to experiment until you find a combo that works for you.
If you decide to use MKV containers as your final product you can remux in custom audio tracks and subtitles...
(2014-01-21, 10:15)jacintech.fire Wrote: @freem@n,
For BluRay or even DVD processing a combination of DVDFab, MKVTools and Handbrake has given me great results...
There are several guides and howtos online; but with handbrake the best is to experiment until you find a combo that works for you.
If you decide to use MKV containers as your final product you can remix in custom audio tracks and subtitles...

sure, I know ;-) I'm ripping my BDs first uncompressed to disk with makeMKV, process subtitles with some extra programs (there are a lot out there actually), then finally encoding with x264/Handbrake using pretty much the ruleset of scene releases to 1080p or 720p depending on the content and my needs.
@freem@n,
Do you use handbrake in Windows or GNU/LINUX?
I found that the CLI GNU/Linux version is so much better for fine graining the settings...
@jacintech.fire I have tried both Win7 and OS X versions. don't know which ones better - I couldn't find that much of a difference. If you want full control you can also use x264 encoder on the command line.
@Free@m
I ended up writing a script that pretty much outomates the whole thing. Using the CLI version made things easier. I did not try the Win version on the command line...I will give it a try.
How long does it take you to process a BluRay? With 16GB of RAM and a Six-Core CPU and 500GB of
dedicated space takes me an aveg of 4 hours...
@jacintech.fire have to admit that I don't have a clue what CLI stands for but I remember that I saw it on the Windows task manager too when Handbrake is working.
the encoding speed really doesn't depend on RAM. the CPU power is much more important. I'm usually start multiple encodings in the morning before I leave the house so it has the whole day to process. on my quad-core with 3Ghz it takes around 5-6 hours If I remember correctly (depending on the length of the movie and output settings of course)
@ jacintech.fire

Please, please, please tell me with 512TB your are NOT compressing your media with HandbrakeHuh

I don't think I could handle that, my head is twitching at the thought of it!!
CLI = command line interface. In other words typing commands instead of point and click. Many people think of this as linux vs windows, but in fact windows has a CLI too.

The ability to run programs at a CLI is great for automation and scripting.

Both makemkv and handbrake can be used at the CLI and therefore scripted.

Personally for ripping, I think makemkv is great for getting your silver disk onto the computer with the desired audio tracks. Handbrake is then excellent if you want to compress it. However I do note that at least one high quality torrent site bans handbrake rips, can't quite recall why. Perhaps for using an old version of x264 (?)

MKV is my container of choice. It should be everyone's IMHO.

(2014-01-21, 10:47)T800 Wrote: @ jacintech.fire

Please, please, please tell me with 512TB your are NOT compressing your media with HandbrakeHuh

Care to elaborate?
(2014-01-21, 10:43)freem@n Wrote: @jacintech.fire have to admit that I don't have a clue what CLI stands for but I remember that I saw it on the Windows task manager too when Handbrake is working.
the encoding speed really doesn't depend on RAM. the CPU power is much more important. I'm usually start multiple encodings in the morning before I leave the house so it has the whole day to process. on my quad-core with 3Ghz it takes around 5-6 hours If I remember correctly (depending on the length of the movie and output settings of course)
My apologies. CLI is command line interface in GNU/LINUX jargon. It means opening a terminal window (cmd.exe in Windows) and entering each command; as opposed to using a GUI (Graphic User Interface with buttons, check-boxes, menus, etc.). The vast majority (if not all) of the GNU/LINUX utilities (programs) have a CLI option even if they are GUI-based. For admin tasks specially the CLI is much faster and flexible (imho)...
(2014-01-21, 10:47)T800 Wrote: @ jacintech.fire

Please, please, please tell me with 512TB your are NOT compressing your media with Handbrake???

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get more entertaining :D
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC5