• 7(current)
Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC
@T800, @nickr,
Just because I have 515TB at my disposal doesn't mean I am going to start wasting it...
As a matter of fact I have a low bitrate (You can reduce the bitrate, maintain resolution and lose quality quickly, or reduce bitrate, reduce resolution, and get a softer image with less artifacts) of almost every movie (750-900)MB as opposed to the high end(7-10)GB since XBMC does not do trans-coding (natively). while I could possibly playback an uncompressed BluRay on one of the larger HTPCs, doing the same on a smartphone and/or tablet is impossible so some processing is a must...

@ned Scott,
Glad you are having fun. At least today we are all being civil; so that's progress :-)
(2014-01-21, 11:00)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-01-21, 10:47)T800 Wrote: @ jacintech.fire

Please, please, please tell me with 512TB your are NOT compressing your media with HandbrakeHuh

I don't think I could handle that, my head is twitching at the thought of it!!

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get more entertaining Big Grin

I have a belly ache from so much pop-corn... Also (just for laughs) I put on the 3D polarizing set of glasses used for Cinema - when reading this thread! My screen of course doesn't support 3D, but it makes me feel closer to action none the less.
(2014-01-21, 11:00)Ned Scott Wrote:

Please, please, please tell me with 512TB your are NOT compressing your media with HandbrakeHuh

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get more entertaining Big Grin

You're not the messiah, you're a very naughty boy Ned.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-21, 10:58)jacintech.fire Wrote: My apologies. CLI is command line interface in GNU/LINUX jargon. It means opening a terminal window (cmd.exe in Windows) and entering each command; as opposed to using a GUI (Graphic User Interface with buttons, check-boxes, menus, etc.). The vast majority (if not all) of the GNU/LINUX utilities (programs) have a CLI option even if they are GUI-based. For admin tasks specially the CLI is much faster and flexible (imho)...

I'd just like to interject for a moment.

One, it's not "linux" jargon. The term predates both Linux and the GNU project.

Two. OH MY GNU/GOD

@ned Scott,

My sincere apologies if my previous post offended you.

You have my assurances that in the future I will refrain from offending your sensibilities.

Kind regards,

BTW, CLI is a term now used mostly within the GN---I mean "LINUX"/*NIX community, as for the most part (for the most part, mind you) Windows Administration is GUI based.

But...But...on second thought: ".. Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere [...] Most of the tools used with linux are GNU software...As has been noted (not only by me), the linux kernel is a miniscule part of a complete system..."
===Linus Torvalds, during the 1992 Tanenbaum-Torvalds debate===
* un1versal puts on 3D glasses and gets more pop-corn
@uNiversal,
Don't forget to breathe :-)
I'm not offended at all. By all means, please continue :D

Also (emphases mine)

Quote:Well, I think it's justified, but it's justified if you actually make a GNU distribution of Linux ... the same way that I think that "Red Hat Linux" is fine, or "SuSE Linux" or "Debian Linux", because if you actually make your own distribution of Linux, you get to name the thing, but calling Linux in general "GNU Linux" I think is just ridiculous.

--Linus Torvalds, Revolution OS (2001) documentary
@ned Scott,
I have no problem with you calling GNU/Linux simply Linux. It is a matter of choice; and because it is, I have no right to belittle your choices...Given the Principe of reciprocity on which intelligent, civil society is based; I would have thought you would afford me the same courtesy...
Nope, I'm an asshole :D
@ned Scott,
While I would never refer to you as such...I can nevertheless attest to a soupçon (une...une bouffée) of douchi-ness in some of your comments :-)
(2014-01-21, 10:54)nickr Wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Yes.
You could fit more than 10240 full blu-ray ISO's on that server. Nevermind what could fit on by remuxing and removing some audio tracks and extras.

I'm a stickler for quality and don't expect anyone to see things the same as I do. What he wants to do is up to him but what a bloody waste of time and resourcess!

(2014-01-21, 11:04)jacintech.fire Wrote: @T800, @nickr,
Just because I have 515TB at my disposal doesn't mean I am going to start wasting it...
As a matter of fact I have a low bitrate (You can reduce the bitrate, maintain resolution and lose quality quickly, or reduce bitrate, reduce resolution, and get a softer image with less artifacts) of almost every movie (750-900)MB as opposed to the high end(7-10)GB since XBMC does not do trans-coding (natively). while I could possibly playback an uncompressed BluRay on one of the larger HTPCs, doing the same on a smartphone and/or tablet is impossible so some processing is a must...

@ned Scott,
Glad you are having fun. At least today we are all being civil; so that's progress :-)

So you don't want to waste space but you have two versions of every movie rather than just transcoding? Doesn't your time mean something to you too?

The latest builds of XBMC play uncompressed blu-rays quite well on my phone and tablet. I agree that full blu-rays are not needed on a phone or tablet. I could totally understand you re-encoding when you start running out of space (probably never) but right now it seems daft even more so if you are creating a 2nd 750-900MB version too.

You could have ultimate quality, transcode and never run out of space. You could have it all but you're spending time and energy on having less.
@TR800,
Seriously? Streaming an umcompressed BluRay over a wifi or 3G (even LTE) network where you can never be assured of the bandwith...? WOW!!!!

...and NEVERMIND that, we (I assume that is the case) are "hackers" in the sense that we tinker and experiment. In that sense, looking at a 40+GB BluRay folder, my first thought was: How I can reduce the total size of this mess, while retaining as much of the quality as possible? Then I ran with that thought.

I guess that for you is: That is the way "THEY" made it so, I am just gonna use it as-is...ALWAYS.

Our entire civilization (heck, XBMC itself) was (and continue to be built) because at some point someone said: I wonder what would happen if I did it THIS way instead...

I guess I am wired differently. I guess that's ok. It takes all kinds to make the world spin...

BTW, does XBMC supports dynamic transcoding (on the fly). If so, can someone point me to the wiki entry...?
This is hilarious... Likens very much a "concerned troll" description.

What you keep saying is that you consider yourself, by overwhelming evidence in your posts, to someone that will make a revolutionary discovery somewhere with something, just because you experiment. Im not going to argue any merits of Experimenting/tinkering because its silly to fight curiosity and dismiss it.. (being purposefully vague of <insert area of incredible discovery here> to give you benefit of doubt)

The best of this is, when everyone doesn't agree with you, - you find more spins and reasons and excuses and more ways to actually insinuate others haven't the faintest clew what you are doing..

Good for you, persevere where no one wants to follow you, keep doing it, you are definitely wired, but presuming greatness and being great are not same things, unfortunately for you.

You have talked about principles of reciprocity on which intelligent, civil society is based; you had all courtesies extended here and continue to enjoy such. Despite your "soupçon (une...une bouffée)" of disrespect for everyone who disagrees.

Lastly I will liken you to one fictitious character know as Dick Solomon which is clearly a compliment to your unique boasting self indulgence. And Go as far as claiming this thread describes NOTHING URGENT, discusses Nothing NEW and Nothing that will change the world any time in next 100 years.

One would have hoped -" ...To attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance...." that being you the recipient of such metaphorical electrodes..

And I will finally unsubscribe from this thread so I dont have to read your reply and witty remarks to my "in closing argument"

Good bye!
@uNiversal,
It is one thing to disagree and another to belittle other people's opinion simply because you don't agree.
I did not use RAID becuase I thought it was not worth it.
Someone else may use RAID becuase they think it is.
Why can both opinions co exist?
I process my Bluray because I want to see how much space can shave off without losing too much quality...
Other may use the full umcompressed folder because because they are not interested in doing that...
What can both approach co exists?
Why does it have to be an absolute, My-D***-is-bigger-than-yours argument?
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC5