GPU reccomendation
I was going to see if someone could help me find a good but budget GPU to run my blurays. I've been using the G1610 which was I got from another thread that said it would run all bluray movies. While it's done an amazing job I noticed stutter in two different movies I own Pacific Rim and I forget the other movie. I'd like to eliminate this stutter completely but I'm afraid of looking up an old thread and buying a card that's just going to leave me in this same situation.

Also my friend has this exact same video file running in XBMC flawlessly. He built an HTPC/gaming machine though so it's a lot beefier then what I have. I've noticed it seems to happen when a lot of particle like effects are happening (which is a lot in pacific rim).
Any of these cheap card should do the job-

XFX AMD Radeon HD 6450

EVGA GeForce GT 610
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-01-22, 05:38)bluray Wrote: Any of these cheap card should do the job-

XFX AMD Radeon HD 6450

EVGA GeForce GT 610

Awesome thanks again.
Do you have hardware video decoding set up for your G1610? It really should be fast enough to play blurays stutter-free.
(2014-01-22, 18:15)DrDaxxy Wrote: Do you have hardware video decoding set up for your G1610? It really should be fast enough to play blurays stutter-free.

I did have it turned on when the stutter happened but I recently turned it off because I read it shouldn't be on. I haven't had a chance to watch the movie again and see if the stutters stopped.
Best are Nvidia GPUs that support fifth generation PureVideo HD and Nvidia Feature Set D (or "VDPAU Feature Set D")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Pure...reVideo_HD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Pure...ture_Set_D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Pure...HD.29_GPUs
(2014-01-22, 18:24)method115 Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 18:15)DrDaxxy Wrote: Do you have hardware video decoding set up for your G1610? It really should be fast enough to play blurays stutter-free.

I did have it turned on when the stutter happened but I recently turned it off because I read it shouldn't be on. I haven't had a chance to watch the movie again and see if the stutters stopped.
I had a very similar CPU. The operation and playback were not as fluent and smooth as I want it to. I installed a very cheap HD5570 card in it. It made everything much more fluent and smoother. I hardly hear any fan noise from the CPU fan afterward. To me, it is worth it to throw in a cheap card to help out the less than powerful CPU.....
(2014-01-22, 19:39)bluray Wrote:

I had a very similar CPU. The operation and playback were not as fluent and smooth as I want it to. I installed a very cheap HD5570 card in it. It made everything much more fluent and smoother. I hardly hear any fan noise from the CPU fan afterward. To me, it is worth it to throw in a cheap card to help out the less than powerful CPU.....

Yea the cards you showed me are very cheap I can get them for $30 which is nothing to me really. I think I'm going to do it everything has been great with the HTPC it's just those two movies I noticed an issue and I'd rather avoid it if possible.

Does the amount of RAM matter? I found a 6450 but it only has 512MB of RAM.
(2014-01-22, 23:39)method115 Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 18:24)method115 Wrote: I did have it turned on when the stutter happened but I recently turned it off because I read it shouldn't be on. I haven't had a chance to watch the movie again and see if the stutters stopped.

Not unless you play game, 512mb version should be fine for bluray 1080P, and here is a full spec on a similar card- HIS 6450 Fan 512MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI/HDMI/VGA.....
(2014-01-23, 00:02)bluray Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 23:39)method115 Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 19:39)bluray Wrote: I had a very similar CPU. The operation and playback were not as fluent and smooth as I want it to. I installed a very cheap HD5570 card in it. It made everything much more fluent and smoother. I hardly hear any fan noise from the CPU fan afterward. To me, it is worth it to throw in a cheap card to help out the less than powerful CPU.....

Not unless you play game, 512mb version should be fine for bluray 1080P, and here is a full spec on a similar card- HIS 6450 Fan 512MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI/HDMI/VGA.....

No intentions of going back to PC gaming. Went ahead and ordered the card for $23 bucks flat, thanks for all the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GPU reccomendation0