CEC support?
Hello,
I have a LG47LW4500 TV with Simplink (they say it's LG's CEC) and an Android TV box with Jellybean 4.2.2 running a Gotham nightly.
I just tried to use CEC but Settings > System > Input devices has a Peripherals inside but it is greyed out. Can't open Peripherals this way.
Could Gotham have CEC disabled? Or does this mean that it won't work on Android?
I used the search but CEC only has 3 letters...
Cheers
Amazon FireTV stick 4k Max
(worst device ever for running Kodi on...)

Kodi 20 Nexus
gone temporarily back to Kodi 19.5 due to Nexus subtitles font issues
I can't recall offhand is there is CEC support in XBMC for Android, but the first thing to check is if the specific Android box you have even supports CEC.
Hi Ned Scott.
Thanks for your reply.
How would I find out if the Tronsmart Prometheus comes with CEC support? It's true that on Tronsmart's page it doesn't say that it has CEC support but then again MyGica ATV-520 has CEC but MyGica don't mention that either.
Is there some app or some setting that can show if a given device has CEC support?
TIA
Cheers

Kodi 20 Nexus
Geniatech's CEC support is on Android level, no CEC connector to XBMC yet. But I think it is the same, if Geniatech's Android support CEC, then no need XBMC support CEC any more.
CEC for XBMC works through the libCEC library which is maintained upstream by Pulse-Eight, which is dual-licensed under GPLv2 and a commercial license, thus could be used for free under open source or be licensed under close source royalty license agreement with Pulse-Eigh.

For XBMC to support a SoC / hardware specific CEC you must first add code to support that specific SoC / hardware to libCEC, that goes for all operating-system platforms.

http://libcec.pulse-eight.com
https://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec

Since Pulse-Eight is a commercial company they can either be commisioned to get paid to code to support that specific SoC / hardware to libCEC if the SoC / hardware manufacturing company hires their developers to add it via a contract, or the alternativly the SoC / hardware manufacturing company can choose to use their own developers to code the support for he libCEC library and submit it as a code patch upstream to Pulse-Eight that can be accepted if it meets their coding standard.

So that means that it is not enough that XBMC supports CEC and that the SoC / hardware support CEC, as you will also need to add specific support code to libCEC.

(2014-01-27, 09:14)john3voltas Wrote: How would I find out if the Tronsmart Prometheus comes with CEC support? It's true that on Tronsmart's page it doesn't say that it has CEC support but then again MyGica ATV-520 has CEC but MyGica don't mention that either.
You can today almost assume that most modern SoC / hardware does support CEC, however in most cases you will still be missing two pieces even if the SoC / hardware in your specific box supports CEC before you can get it to work in XBMC.

The SoC / hardware manufacturing must also add CEC support for their firmware image, through kernel-modulke/drivers/library/whatever which is the first piece, and then the second piece is that there must also be support for that specific CEC kernel-module/drivers/library/whatever in Pulse-Eight's libCEC for XBMC CEC support to work.
So, that basically means no CEC support for el-cheapos like the Prometheus, right?
Bu thanks a lot for taking the time to give such an elaborate and crystal-clear answer.
Cheers

Kodi 20 Nexus
(2014-01-27, 19:04)john3voltas Wrote: So, that basically means no CEC support for el-cheapos like the Prometheus, right?
Exactly, but like I said, it is usually not because hardware limitations, instead it it just that no one have bothered to code the software for it.

An example of this is Ouya, for which we all know the SoC hardware support CEC, and Ouya have themselves confirmed that their board is fully wired for CEC.

There is just no support in the Ouya firmware yet because their developers have not added the code for it yet

And even if and when they do add CEC support to Ouya firmware they will still also need to add support for it to LibCEC before XBMC will support it

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CEC support?0