Win All In One Machine
Hi All,

New to Media PC's, but not new to building PC's. I've built three or four over the last few years (standard ATX setups).
I have almost convinced the wife to let me build a PC, and I've spent the last few days coming up with a list of requirements. If you could provide links to actual products in the build, that would be great. Telling me I need an antenna and tuner for #4 don't really help...

1. Windows Operating System - This is the beast my wife and I know and love. This along with iTunes, etc would live on a dedicated drive in the PC.
2. Network Storage - Would be nice to able to access my movies and music from an xbox or computer elsewhere in the house.
3. Power on and off with remote - Would like to power the system on and off, especially would be nice if this was natively built into the case.
4. Ability to pump in Over the Air antenna signals into a tuner in the PC - I want to be able to get my local newscast (if offered over the air), but to also PVR/Record items from over the air. As well, it would be nice to be able to watch a show over the air, while another is recording...do any of those tuner cards have two tuners? My understanding is that I'll need two devices (an antenna and a tuner). Recommendations for good Antennas for the Toronto/Hamilton area would be appreciated.
5. Decent enough graphics to play games.
6. Enough memory and processor power to allow me to multi-task - watch TV, while something is recording, etc.
7. HDMI out to my Yamaha Receiver - My receiver is my connection to my TV - all of my devices go through it so that I can have my surround sound.
8. A remote (see #2)
9. Optionally a keyboard/mouse combo that I can use to do the 'computery' things that would need to be done on occasion.
10. A Quiet case with fan recommendations.
11. A Sexy case.
12. Power recommendations sufficient for the requirements above.
13. Optical Drive - Blu-Ray - Are Blu-Ray Burners still really expensive, or are thumb drives the way to go now?
14. Anything else you think I may need...?
Buy whatever meets your gaming/general use requirements. There really isn't anything magical about an HTPC these days over any other PC, other than you typically don't want something huge and loud in your living room. XBMC will run on anything you buy running normal Windows (not RT) so long as you don't jump in a time machine and buy something from 10 years ago.

Powering on/off computers completely really isn't needed anymore. As long as you can sleep the computer and wake it from a remote, that's pretty much just as good. Depending on the computer, it can literally be just as good, and the only way you can do better is by physically unplugging the computer (even "off" computers will still pull some power). Get a motherboard and PSU with nice energy star ratings.

Anything running Windows with a USB port can do that. What you actually need to plug in (tiny little device that might as well be an in-line adapter) depends on where you live in the world and what OTA signals you get.

Others will fill in the rest.
You might be interested to visit this website: www.mymediaexperience.com, containing many useful tips.
(2014-01-28, 06:54)Ned Scott Wrote: Buy whatever meets your gaming/general use requirements. There really isn't anything magical about an HTPC these days over any other PC, other than you typically don't want something huge and loud in your living room. XBMC will run on anything you buy running normal Windows (not RT) so long as you don't jump in a time machine and buy something from 10 years ago.

Powering on/off computers completely really isn't needed anymore. As long as you can sleep the computer and wake it from a remote, that's pretty much just as good. Depending on the computer, it can literally be just as good, and the only way you can do better is by physically unplugging the computer (even "off" computers will still pull some power). Get a motherboard and PSU with nice energy star ratings.

Anything running Windows with a USB port can do that. What you actually need to plug in (tiny little device that might as well be an in-line adapter) depends on where you live in the world and what OTA signals you get.

Others will fill in the rest.

Thanks Ned
With respect to the power on/off, I suppose I should have been more specific. I want to have something that can wake and sleep with a remote, as yes, I suppose the machine will always be on. Any recommendations on a motherboard/case that would support this and also looks sleek in the living room (not a tower)?

I'm not a huge gamer, I play Marvel Heroes, and Guild Wars 2...nothing too intensive. Would a separate graphic card be better than an onboard graphic card for this purpose? Are there advantages for HD playback with onboard vs dedicated?
I'm probably the wrong person to be asking about hardware for games, as I'm normally way behind and the games I play are ones that play well on my old laptop :)
Generally the Value HTPC mentioned earlier at http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/value-htpc/ seems to be a good buy.
However, it doesn't have a tuner-input. I suppose if I want to record and watch at the same time, I'd need a dual tuner?

Can anybody recommend a good tuner that will fit in this system? A Dual tuner is what I think I need.
As well, can anybody recommend a decent and QUIET graphics card to add in that will also fit in this system?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
All In One Machine1