PVR Functionality
Okay, so lets say I do get thru this build, and my setup has a Tuner with an OTA Antenna. Is software available to allow me to schedule a recording over the air, like I currently do with my Cable PVR? for example, I want to tape Survivor every week...can I enter the settings one and it gets recorded every week?
That's a function of your selected backend. I use the WMC pvr with WMC8 as the backend (on windows natch) and it supports series recording as long as WMC EPG is setup.

scott s.
(2014-01-29, 01:25)scott967 Wrote: That's a function of your selected backend. I use the WMC pvr with WMC8 as the backend (on windows natch) and it supports series recording as long as WMC EPG is setup.

scott s.

Hi Scott- thanks for replying. So assuming my software back-end can support this, would I need a dual tuner to actually tape a show, and watch another show at the same time? Can you recommend one that you think may fit in the following setup http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/value-htpc/ ?
I'm hoping the Hauppage WinTV-HVR-2250 would do the job?

Many thanks - Joe
(2014-01-29, 14:35)computerjock Wrote: would I need a dual tuner to actually tape a show, and watch another show at the same time?

Depends on your local broadcast and selected backend.
For Windows Media Center, the answer is yes you need a dual tuner, as it requires a full tuner for each channel. Some backends (e.g. Mediaportal) can handle multiple channels on one tuner, so long as they are all on the same transponder.
For example, in my case my local terrestrial channels (Irish Saorview) are all on a single transponder so all I need is a cheap single DVB-T tuner. My satellite (Sky-UK) is on multiple transponders, so I need a more expensive DVB-S twin tuner.
Understood...I will be using a Leaf indoor antenn...or two...
Any idea if the tuner mentioned above would fit in the config mentioned above?
Looks like it will fit at first glance, but with these small cases you never know for sure until you have all the components together. Cooling fans, cable management etc. can be a nightmare. An internet search for the Silverstone case should point you to any problems you are likely to have with it.

To clarify my previous post, just in case you misunderstood me. The brodcast transponder is not directly related to your antenna - it is a group of channels transmitted around a single frequency. (Roughly speaking each transponder is the bandwidth that was used by one old analogue channel.)
(2014-01-29, 14:35)computerjock Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 01:25)scott967 Wrote: That's a function of your selected backend. I use the WMC pvr with WMC8 as the backend (on windows natch) and it supports series recording as long as WMC EPG is setup.

scott s.

Hi Scott- thanks for replying. So assuming my software back-end can support this, would I need a dual tuner to actually tape a show, and watch another show at the same time? Can you recommend one that you think may fit in the following setup http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/value-htpc/ ?
I'm hoping the Hauppage WinTV-HVR-2250 would do the job?

Many thanks - Joe

I am using the HVR 2250 and it works well for me. I haven't actually tried the record one and watch a second via WMC8 but it's supposed to work. It does work in the WinTV program that Hauppauge supplies. You can get two versions. One is just the card, the other includes a remote and a daughter bracket that allows connecting a R/W/Y (or I think a S-Vid) analog video input. I bought the full up combo since the price difference isn't that much. My plan is to use the remote to control XBMC but admit I haven't quite got around to that yet (been using the Yatse app on android tablet as alternative). I don't have any experience with micro-ATX but just looking at the Gigabyte MB and the case, it seems like the card would fit (needs a PCIe x1 slot and single slot in case + second case slot if you use the daughter jacks). If you aren't using a graphics card seems like no problem, but if you are going to stick in a graphics card you might need to check if it all fits.

Note that there is a WinTV software that you can use with the card, and the install includes the drivers (for the card plus the remote if you get that). You need an optical drive and you need to keep the CD because you have to load the CD to get any updates to the software to install. I suppose an external optical drive would work.

I think it supports wake on PCIe, so you could use the remote to wake from sleep or maybe hibernate (at least on Win7) but I am currently using an old, extra PC as my HTPC and it is from a time when "wake on" wasn't implemented very well (and it's Abit MB who went out of business so no support).

Besides the OTA tuner/recorder, I used this card to rip and digitize my entire VCR collection.

scott s.
Hi Scott,

I plan on buying the version with the Remote...what is a daughter bracket? I tried googling, it but I can't really find out what that means...I don't think I'll have need to hook a vcr up to coloured jacks...so does that mean I will be fine assuming I don't need the extra space for these daughter jacks/brackets?

One other question about that case/build - The case says it comes with 3 fans...but the author indicates 3 different fans further down the page. Is this because the stock fans are most likely noiser or less efficient?
(2014-01-30, 05:19)computerjock Wrote: Hi Scott,

I plan on buying the version with the Remote...what is a daughter bracket? I tried googling, it but I can't really find out what that means...I don't think I'll have need to hook a vcr up to coloured jacks...so does that mean I will be fine assuming I don't need the extra space for these daughter jacks/brackets?

One other question about that case/build - The case says it comes with 3 fans...but the author indicates 3 different fans further down the page. Is this because the stock fans are most likely noiser or less efficient?

Probably that"s why the different fans. May also be better temp/speed control on the fans too.

If you look at the picture of the capture board, you see a connector. What I call the "daughter" plugs into that, and the cable just goes to a bracket that fits in a standard expansion slot cut out in the case. It seemed like there were 4 cut-outs on that case. If you use a graphics card, I think most of those use two cut-outs (1 where the jacks are and 1 for fan exhaust) and fitting two more (1 for the Hauppauge card and one for the extra connectors). If you don't need that you can just not connect that so then only the one card needs a cut-out. There's also I guess an IR-blaster to control a cable box but not needed with an OTA setup.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR Functionality0