OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
(2013-09-03, 14:11)popcornmix Wrote: ac3downmixgain applies to all sources (stereo/music/multichannel). You should remove that setting and set amplification to 18dB. It should have the same effect but sound less bad if you were to clip.
Make sure you have "boost volume on downmix" enabled, or multichannel audio will sound much quieter.

Boost center channel is on my todo list.

I'm not going to add a boost music separately from video. That is too specific. A lot of videos normalise the audio (like iPlayer), so there's no guarantee that music is louder than video in general.

ac3downmixgain seems a poorly named setting if it applies to all sources but hey Wink

I do have "boost volume on downmix" enabled in System (although for some reason this option also appears in the pop-up menu in files view and shows it as disabled).

I tried amplification with the Frodo build instead of ac3downmixgain but that only boosts multi-channel movies, leaving my stereo movies far too quiet, so that's no good, even though it does leave Music and iPlayer at an acceptable volume. I couldn't check TV as that doesn't work for me with the Frodo build.

At least with ac3downmixgain all my Movies/TV are at acceptable volume, so I can use XBMC for Movies/TV but not Music or iPlayer but with amplification I can use it for Music and iPlayer but only some Movies.

If I've understood correctly, amplification acts as a basic compressor which might be OK for some people but others wouldn't want music and/or movies compressed and want to hear them as intended, so using amplification isn't a great solution to the problem anyway.

So what appears to be needed is a boost that only applies to movie files (and not streaming such as iPlayer, which is already loud enough, or if it's impossible to treat movies and streaming video separately as far as volume is concerned, a plugin-level volume control that can be used to reduce the volume for those plugins where it's necessary, to cancel the global boost) with DRC/normalisation being optional and switchable separately for movies and music so that those who want to use it for one or both can do so.

If something isn't done to properly balance the levels between Movies/TV, Music/iPlayer it simply makes it impossible to use XBMC for more than one of those without having to faff about increasing/decreasing the volume with numerous keypresses each time or risking damaging equipment/ears, so I'll have to just use it for Movies/TV for now.

Messages In This Thread
AW: RE: - by DieterLumpen - 2013-07-29, 20:50
include guires switch? - by hpbaxxter - 2013-08-01, 21:46
RE: dual audio?? - by pootler - 2013-08-03, 17:13
Help, watch 3D Film on Non 3D TV - by unix72 - 2013-08-09, 12:39
Remote Controllers - by tfft - 2013-08-14, 09:11
rbej repeatable crash - by RichG - 2013-08-19, 12:43
RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - by doveman2 - 2013-09-03, 17:25
New Tester - by theneverstill - 2013-10-03, 17:16
[split] missing subtitle stream - by Jönke - 2014-01-08, 21:03
3D Support - by michbeck100 - 2014-01-11, 01:01
No sound on Gotham builds - by URBANsUNITED - 2014-01-13, 15:19
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223