• 48(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
Trying to set up chromebox to stand alone set up, I have it in devolper mode but ctrl+alt+f2 does nothing. ctrl+alt+T gets me to crosh. What am I doing wrong so that I can follow through with Chromebox EZ setup
Sounds like you've logged in? You need to hit ctrl+alt+f2 at the login prompt BEFORE you login BUT after you've set-up networking.
i haven't log in yet, the User account is empty. Once network is established and log in comes up I then hit ctrl+alt+f2 nothing happens. If I browse as guest and hit ctrl+alt+t then I get into crosh.
(2014-06-30, 03:26)oljim2112 Wrote: i haven't log in yet, the User account is empty. Once network is established and log in comes up I then hit ctrl+alt+f2 nothing happens. If I browse as guest and hit ctrl+alt+t then I get into crosh.

I'm going to guess you are using a wireless keyboard? Some seem to not be initialized properly immediately. Trying turning it off/on on the login screen and see if that fixes it. I have to do that with my Logitech K360.
(2014-06-30, 05:17)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-30, 03:26)oljim2112 Wrote: i haven't log in yet, the User account is empty. Once network is established and log in comes up I then hit ctrl+alt+f2 nothing happens. If I browse as guest and hit ctrl+alt+t then I get into crosh.

I'm going to guess you are using a wireless keyboard? Some seem to not be initialized properly immediately. Trying turning it off/on on the login screen and see if that fixes it. I have to do that with my Logitech K360.

I'm using a microsoft wired keyboard. After I completed the Asus Chromebox EZ setup, I planned to switch to a wireless keyboard.
Your MS keyboard doesn't have the ability for the F-keys to switch to media keys does it? If so is there a Fn key or F-Lock key?

Have you tried a different keyboard. At least one of my wired keyboards doesn't work at all stages on the Chromebox install.
(2014-06-30, 10:13)noggin Wrote: Your MS keyboard doesn't have the ability for the F-keys to switch to media keys does it? If so is there a Fn key or F-Lock key?

Have you tried a different keyboard. At least one of my wired keyboards doesn't work at all stages on the Chromebox install.

hadn't thought of the function lock issue, that's a good point.
For anyone who is interested in alternative PSUs - the Asus Chromebox shares the same connector and PSU specs as the Intel NUC PSU that came with my Haswell i5 NUC (with the 2.5" HD bay)
(2014-06-30, 10:13)noggin Wrote: Your MS keyboard doesn't have the ability for the F-keys to switch to media keys does it? If so is there a Fn key or F-Lock key?

F-lock key was the problem, thanks you.
(2014-06-30, 19:10)noggin Wrote: For anyone who is interested in alternative PSUs - the Asus Chromebox shares the same connector and PSU specs as the Intel NUC PSU that came with my Haswell i5 NUC (with the 2.5" HD bay)

what's the benefit of a different psu? can't say i considered one before your post.
I have been running the Chromebox as a standalone Openelec box for a few weeks now. No issues whatsoever. It is fast, silent and discreet. I love it. I replaced my AT1 with it.
(2014-06-30, 20:15)furii Wrote:
(2014-06-30, 19:10)noggin Wrote: For anyone who is interested in alternative PSUs - the Asus Chromebox shares the same connector and PSU specs as the Intel NUC PSU that came with my Haswell i5 NUC (with the 2.5" HD bay)

what's the benefit of a different psu? can't say i considered one before your post.

The Asus Chromebox is only available in the US and the PSU comes with a fixed US 2-pin connector rather than a cloverleaf (as apparently the HP Chromebox PSU does) or IEC or Figure of 8 connector. For those of us who have imported - it's a pain to use travel adaptors. A replacement PSU with a domestic mains cable/plug is definitely a thing to consider if you import.
(2014-06-25, 08:02)DocG Wrote: I can also confirm that the Pulse-Eight USB CEC Adapter works with the Chromebox. Just tested it on my LG TV.

After some use, it seems like I need to make a minor revision to this statement.

The Pulse-Eight USB CEC Adapter can not survive off, at least not if used as intended. If it is connected as generally required, and you happen to turn your Chromebox (either Asus or HP) completely off, next time you turn it back on you have lost the video signal.

After some discussion with Pulse-Eight, it turns out their USB CEC Adapter needs power to the USB port BEFORE there is any video out, or it simply will not let any video signal through.

There are, however, several workarounds.

First option, either always leave your Chromebox on, or just put it into standby. Never turn it off.

Second option, use a USB hub to connect the USB CEC Adapter through, so the Adapter always has power.

Third option, in case you've got a spare HDMI port, you actually can split video in and control in for one HDMI channel using two physical HDMI ports. The video will be connected to the main port, and that's the port you use in the HDMI config settings in XBMC, and then you simply connect the USB CEC adapter to a spare HDMI port, does not appear to matter which.

Just thought I should mention this, in case people wish to use CEC.

There also is one further difference between the Asus and the HP that I've just noticed which may be important to some people as well.

The HP actually does produce more noise.

It's still very quiet, and I couldn't actually hear it in my lounge room during the day from a couple meters away. I could not, however, hear the Asus in my bedroom at night from a couple meters away either (the bright white light is a different matter altogether). Due to the HP being better suited to our bedroom in terms of style, I actually swapped them around yesterday, and I can hear the HP from a couple meters away when it is dead quiet at night. For anyone who is sensitive to noise, and might want to consider the Chromebox as an always-on solution for the bedroom, the Asus is definitely a better choice.
(2014-06-16, 22:42)Matt Devo Wrote: make a bootable ChromiumOS USB stick as described in the wiki for restoring the stock firmware, but instead just re-download/run the script and update to the latest firmware version. Nothing will change except the firmware Smile

So after hours of failing to boot it into Chromium, I figured out one of my usb sticks (usb2) was to blame, got a different one, got into chromium.
Downloaded your script. Wasn't sure which firmware to update: I tried updating the legacy bios (option 4), it said checking if it needs updating, paused a while, then suddenly rebooted.
So next time I booted up and ran the script, I tried the coreboot firmware update instead (option 7 I think). Now the unit seems to be functioning like I wanted: I can have my non-bootable usb drive attached and it still boots from its internal SSD without getting stuck in firmware. Yay!

That sound right?
(2014-07-10, 13:33)xaphod Wrote: So after hours of failing to boot it into Chromium, I figured out one of my usb sticks (usb2) was to blame, got a different one, got into chromium.
Downloaded your script. Wasn't sure which firmware to update: I tried updating the legacy bios (option 4), it said checking if it needs updating, paused a while, then suddenly rebooted.
So next time I booted up and ran the script, I tried the coreboot firmware update instead (option 7 I think). Now the unit seems to be functioning like I wanted: I can have my non-bootable usb drive attached and it still boots from its internal SSD without getting stuck in firmware. Yay!

That sound right?

Honestly, you're lucky that all you got was a reboot when you selected the wrong option. You've previously said you were running a standalone Ubuntu setup, so why would you choose the legacy BIOS update option, which is under the Dual Boot heading? And if you weren't sure, why not refer to the post which explains all the options?

Flashing firmware isn't trivial, and has the potential to brick your box if you flash the wrong thing. Fortunately in this case that didn't happen.
  • 48(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8